Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by bossku69
yes, so right now im about a RT short of gold. if I was to do the h/s/j I would get probably around 3k miles, which would put me about 4k short of 50k. Therefore I would have 46,000 miles and be gold. on my next RT flight i would have 53,000 and would still be... gold!

like I said, I don't take seriously what they say unless i hear from 5 reps the same thing. if that was the case, I would be pretty upset.
I must be dense because I'm still not following. You're gold, you'd only be gold still when you cross 50K absent of any promo. So what's different if you've crossed 50K and only have 3 h/s/j's? One more h/s/j should still bump you to Platinum, right?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by ramblers63
Sorry guys, I don't normally do this but its been a rough week at work and I just don't have the time to get my head around this confusing promo. But if someone could help me with this simple question it would be much appreciated:

Say someone reached silver in 2009, has flown zero EQMs in 2010, but gets 4 h/s/j's - do they suddenly attain Gold status thru 2/28/2012?
that is right.......and if someone was a platinum, or C.P. in 2009, and has flown no miles in 2010, 4 points gets that person C.P. status until 2/28/2012
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I must be dense because I'm still not following. You're gold, you'd only be gold still when you cross 50K absent of any promo. So what's different if you've crossed 50K and only have 3 h/s/j's? One more h/s/j should still bump you to Platinum, right?
what i was saying is if i get 4 h/s/j's prior to 50k i get gold. once my miles role over 50k i dont get the bump to plat.

rather, if I get 50k miles first then complete 4 h/s/j's then I become plat
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by itsme110
that is right.......and if someone was a platinum, or C.P. in 2009, and has flown no miles in 2010, 4 points gets that person C.P. status until 2/28/2012
Darn tootin'! I abandoned US after the choice seat BS but will go out of my way to pick up the 4 h/s/j in this promo to have CP next year just in case I need to fly them (CLT based). CP with ~20k miles - can't beat that.

I have not idea what US is thinking with this. Maybe they're hoping to jack up the number of elites so their DM program is more valuable.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by bossku69
what i was saying is if i get 4 h/s/j's prior to 50k i get gold. once my miles role over 50k i dont get the bump to plat.

rather, if I get 50k miles first then complete 4 h/s/j's then I become plat
Aha. Ok. Then riddle me this. 3 hits prior to 50K, 1 hit1 after 50K. That should in theory bump you to Plat? So you'd have to do the reverse of everyone else - find a way to NOT get 4 hits until you're ready.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Is it just me, or is PHL a tough place from which to take clever advantage of this promo for 4+ points?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Is it just me, or is PHL a tough place from which to take clever advantage of this promo for 4+ points?
About as hard as PVD. At least the shuttle stops by me, rather than flying over my head like my old home town Philly.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:47 pm

The current E-Saver is an easy and cheap way of getting 4 "credits" in 2 days! The current e-saver ORD-PVR r/t is $310.

This is how I can route:

ORD-PHX AUG 3 at 5:15AM- counts as entering the region West (1 credit)
PHX-PVR AUG 3 arrives in PVR around 2PM- counts as entering Latin America (1 credit)
PVR-CLT AUG 4 dept at 1PM- counts as new route jump (PVR-CLT) (1 credit)
CLT-ORD AUG 4 arrv 9:30PM- counts as hop region East (1 credit)

The special $99 fare is also available routing ORD-CLT-PHX-PVR, strictly for more miles earned

Result: in under 48 hours of your time and just above $300 spent for air-fare alone, you can move up by one level of status. That's what I might be doing for a day in PVR with my Marriott free night stay certificate (Marriott CasaMagna PVR). Maybe I'll have a Mojito to toast my CP status till 2012?

Although this isn't an e-Saver this week, SJD works the same way since SJD-CLT is a new route. Another routing of this sort could be, for example: SEA-PHX-MBJ-PHL-SEA, since PHX-MBJ is a new route.

I just noticed they added if you're CP you need 4 hops to remain CP till 2012? Wow!

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
ORD-PHX AUG 3 at 5:15AM- counts as entering the region West (1 credit)

Don't you get two credits for this segment: one for leaving region East (ORD) and one for arriving in region West (PHX)?

From the FAQ: "When you fly in, out or within a region we'll check it off and add it to your total hop, skip and jump count. Hops count only once – if you fly multiple times in, out or within a region it only counts once. However, you can earn multiple hops by flying in, out or within a different region."

Last edited by tommyleo; Jul 9, 2010 at 12:04 am
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Just got mine figured out

I'm in South FL for work anyway. So I just fly...

PHX-CLT-MLB $161 (East, West, New Route)
Drive to FLL (No 1way rental charges in FL)
JetBlue FLL-NAS ($42 all in)

Return:
NAS-CLT-PHX-LAS $213 (Caribbean)

Total of less than $100 above what I would pay for PHX-FLL RT anyway. Couple extra hours driving and I may even spend a night in NAS at the Sheraton.

And now that I know I have CP for next year I can stop using my US Mastercard and go back to my SPG
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Don't you get two credits for this segment: one for leaving region East (ORD) and one for arriving in region West (PHX)?

From the FAQ: "When you fly in, out or within a region we'll check it off and add it to your total hop, skip and jump count. Hops count only once – if you fly multiple times in, out or within a region it only counts once. However, you can earn multiple hops by flying in, out or within a different region."
Yes, you could look at it that way, since they count for multiple ones, a PHX-PVR-CLT would also be 4 credits. Departing PHX (credit 1), land PVR (credit 2), fly PVR-CLT (credit 3), land in CLT (credit 4).

Before I do this, I have to make sure a current CP will be requalified as CP for all of 2011 and early 2012. It's funny how the website shows 4 credits as Chairman's -> Chairman's Preferred!

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Aha. Ok. Then riddle me this. 3 hits prior to 50K, 1 hit1 after 50K. That should in theory bump you to Plat? So you'd have to do the reverse of everyone else - find a way to NOT get 4 hits until you're ready.
I don't think that's how it works. The HSJ promo changes your status based on your pre-offer status, which would be Silver. I don't think you'd get bumped from Gold to Platinum if mile 50k came after the offer started, I think you'd get bumped from Silver to Gold (though having already attained Gold via miles).

ETA: That's assuming you started the promo as Silver, either having attained Silver last year or having attained Silver in the first half of the year.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Fastest 4 HSJ segment routing to from PHX

The fastest 4 HSJ segment routing I can find from PHX comes in at 15 hours and is PHX-CLT-MBJ-PHX. It departs at 11:30pm and arrives back in PHX at 2:30pm the next day. No hotel required since the overnight is on a red-eye. The best price I can find for this is $550 inclusive of taxes.

Here is my only concern... The flight arrives in MBJ at 10am and departs at 11:30am. Is this enough time in MBJ to clear customs and get back to be checked in for the outbound? Is this a valid connection so that if the flight is late out of CLT they are required to rebook me on another flight if I miss it?

Thanks in advance for the input. If anyone has found a less expensive way to get 4 HSJ segments in a day or two originating/arriving in PHX, please post!

Thanks,
El Jefe
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by el_jefe
The fastest 4 HSJ segment routing I can find from PHX comes in at 15 hours and is PHX-CLT-MBJ-PHX. It departs at 11:30pm and arrives back in PHX at 2:30pm the next day. No hotel required since the overnight is on a red-eye. The best price I can find for this is $550 inclusive of taxes.

Here is my only concern... The flight arrives in MBJ at 10am and departs at 11:30am. Is this enough time in MBJ to clear customs and get back to be checked in for the outbound? Is this a valid connection so that if the flight is late out of CLT they are required to rebook me on another flight if I miss it?

Thanks in advance for the input. If anyone has found a less expensive way to get 4 HSJ segments in a day or two originating/arriving in PHX, please post!

Thanks,
El Jefe
Read the thread. I asked this same question. No definitive answer. And unless the price went up, a weekend trip is $514 all in and can be done for up to $20 less if you incorporate a Monday.

I'm going to hold out for more e-saver options. If I were in ORD I'd to the PVR run. I haven't given up the possibility of a mileage run / short trip to FCO either, possibly in early October just before this promo ends.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:26 am
lex

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hhonors Diamond
This promo seems like it favors east coasters...

Anyone flying out of SFO on this promo care to share the best / least expensive options for 4 hops/skips/jumps??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.