FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

ArizonaGuy Jul 8, 2010 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 14267059)
Mon Aug 2, PHX-MBJ (nonstop)
Wed Aug 4, MBJ-CLT-PHX (and many other options)

prices out at $194 each way, or $493.28 all-in

Not worth it since you can do it in a weekend for $514, no hotel stay needed.

cessnadriver Jul 8, 2010 4:28 pm

Already booked my ILM-CLT-MSY, BTR-CLT-ILM h/s/j run for tomorrow :-) $300 a/i + shuttle this month

ews3 Jul 8, 2010 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 14267065)
I'm not sure I understand what you've been told. If you take a single flight that gives you a single hop and it puts you over 50K, you won't get GP because you haven't done 4 h/s/j's? I find that to be horse hockey and can't possibly be true.

I think the rep was likely just pointing out that Silver + H/S/J = Gold, and 50k also = Gold.

The bump is based on pre-promotion status, not whatever status you get to during the promotion and then the bump added on.

johndeere19 Jul 8, 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ews3 (Post 14267143)
I think the rep was likely just pointing out that Silver + H/S/J = Gold, and 50k also = Gold.

The bump is based on pre-promotion status, not whatever status you get to during the promotion and then the bump added on.

Actually, I just got the following email from USAir...seems to me that if you hit 50k EQM and 8 h/s/j segments, you should be CP, regardless of when you hit the 8 segments.

Thank you for visiting usairways.com.

Your pre-offer status is base membership. You would need to book your
travel and fly between July 7 and October 10, so any tickets purchased
prior to July 7 would not be eligible for this promotion. Hop, skip,
jump for Preferred status is a limited-time promotion designed to get
members to fly somewhere new - try one of our international
destinations, the US Airways Shuttle or one of our new routes. If you
reach a preferred level through this promotion, you will have that level
guaranteed for the 2011 Preferred year, through Feb. 29, 2012. At the
end of the year, Dividend Miles will review each account for total flown
miles or flights within that year, which will determine preferred
status.

You don't need to register. We'll keep track of each flight you take and
check off the appropriate hops, skips and jumps for you automatically.
For every four hops, skips or jumps you take, we'll upgrade your
Preferred status one level.

In addition, the T&Cs say:
# 4 to 7 hops, skips, and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up one level.
# 8 to 11 hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up two levels.
# 12 to 15 hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up three levels.
# 16 or more hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up four levels.

My interpretation of these two items are that if you are gold at the end of the year (your pre-offer or BASE status) and get those 8 h/s/j segments, you are CP. Agree/disagree?

treznor Jul 8, 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19 (Post 14267320)
My interpretation of these two items are that if you are gold at the end of the year (your pre-offer or BASE status) and get those 8 h/s/j segments, you are CP. Agree/disagree?

Disagree. As detailed elsewhere in the T&C, your pre-offer status is just that, PRE-offer, i.e. the status you had as of July 7th.

johndeere19 Jul 8, 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by treznor (Post 14267352)
Disagree. As detailed elsewhere in the T&C, your pre-offer status is just that, PRE-offer, i.e. the status you had as of July 7th.

I would've originally agreed with you, but I expressly asked this question, BUT according to the email above it sounds as if pre-offer means your status before tacking on this offer so if you fly 4 segments, you'll effectively have a +1 status level next to your profile (i.e silver+1 = gold, then you hit gold+1 = platinum, etc.).

treznor Jul 8, 2010 5:30 pm

In the 'CP Revolt' thread someone posted that if you managed to go from nothing to CP with this promo you probably would have gotten it anywhere. Sounded like an interested question to figure out, so I did (I think).

The following are the flights I could determine, based from CLT, with the lowest number of EQM (based on gcmap.com) and segments:
Origin Destination Miles H/S/J met
CLT DCA 500 North America East
DCA BOS 500 Shuttle
BOS PBG 500 BOS-PBG route
PBG BOS 500 none
BOS PHL 500 none
PHL YHZ 692 PHL-YHZ route
YHZ PHL 692 none
PHL CLT 500 none
CLT MLB 500 CLT-MLB route
MLB CLT 500 none
CLT YOW 751 CLT-YOW route
YOW CLT 751 none
CLT BTR 675 North America West, CLT-BTR route
BTR CLT 675 none
CLT PVR 1784 Central America, CLT-PVR route
PVR CLT 1784 none
CLT PHX 1773 none
PHX HNL 2917 Hawaii
HNL PHX 2917 none
PHX MBJ 2343 Caribbean, PHX-MBJ route
MBJ CLT 1165 none
CLT SJD 1918 CLT-SJD route
SJD CLT 1918 none
CLT GIG 4694 South America, CLT-GIG route
GIG CLT 4694 none

This assumes a 500 mile minimum per segment even though that isn't true at the beginning of the flying. This means I don't have to worry so much about the specific ordering of flights and when exactly the status bumps occur.

All of this together is 35,143 miles and 25 segments. Have no idea of the costs as I didn't feel like trying to minimize both miles and costs.

Definitely doable though to go from nothing to CP with a significant number of miles and segments less than the normal qualifying.

treznor Jul 8, 2010 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19 (Post 14267386)
I would've originally agreed with you, but I expressly asked this question, BUT according to the email above it sounds as if pre-offer means your status before tacking on this offer so if you fly 4 segments, you'll effectively have a +1 status level next to your profile (i.e silver+1 = gold, then you hit gold+1 = platinum, etc.).

That's not the way I read the email. I read the email to say that your status will be based on both this promo and the normal miles/segments method, i.e. you won't penalize yourself if you get bumped to Gold through this promo but flew enough miles during the year to make Platinum.

bossku69 Jul 8, 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 14267065)
I'm not sure I understand what you've been told. If you take a single flight that gives you a single hop and it puts you over 50K, you won't get GP because you haven't done 4 h/s/j's? I find that to be horse hockey and can't possibly be true.

yes, so right now im about a RT short of gold. if I was to do the h/s/j I would get probably around 3k miles, which would put me about 4k short of 50k. Therefore I would have 46,000 miles and be gold. on my next RT flight i would have 53,000 and would still be... gold!

like I said, I don't take seriously what they say unless i hear from 5 reps the same thing. if that was the case, I would be pretty upset.

mister880 Jul 8, 2010 5:55 pm

For those of you good with word problems:

What would the following routing get me using the HOP, SKIP or JUMP PROMO?

CVG-CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT-CVG?

Kevin L

ramblers63 Jul 8, 2010 6:07 pm

Sorry guys, I don't normally do this but its been a rough week at work and I just don't have the time to get my head around this confusing promo. But if someone could help me with this simple question it would be much appreciated:

Say someone reached silver in 2009, has flown zero EQMs in 2010, but gets 4 h/s/j's - do they suddenly attain Gold status thru 2/28/2012?

steve65341 Jul 8, 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ramblers63 (Post 14267569)
Sorry guys, I don't normally do this but its been a rough week at work and I just don't have the time to get my head around this confusing promo. But if someone could help me with this simple question it would be much appreciated:

Say someone reached silver in 2009, has flown zero EQMs in 2010, but gets 4 h/s/j's - do they suddenly attain Gold status thru 2/28/2012?

This is correct..

jsciv Jul 8, 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by bossku69 (Post 14267009)
I am about 9k away from Gold, which will be no problem to complete by August. However if you complete a h/s/j PRIOR to getting the new status it wont take the extra bump up.

Meaning, if I have 49,998 miles but complete a h/s/j on mile 49,999 then I will be GOLD. Yet, once I get to 50k miles nothing will change. As I've found US cs reps are not always correct, but if so, this will probably upset a lot of people.

That's kind of what I would have expected. That's why I was wondering if it would apply to my status as earned at the end of 2009 (Plat) as opposed to my 2010 miles so far (24k on the way to 60k). If a trip would just bump me from "Silver earned" to "Gold earned" then there's no point in me doing anything on this promotion. But if it bumps me from Platinum to Chairman's.... well... I'm doing a weekender this summer.

sbm12 Jul 8, 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mister880 (Post 14267514)
CVG-CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT-CVG?

I'm seeing it as
  • CVG-CLT: East
  • CLT-PVR: Route, Mexico
  • PVR-PHX: West
  • PHX-CLT-CVG: Nothing new
So 4 points total.

mister880 Jul 8, 2010 8:48 pm

Well I just booked CVG-CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT-CVG off US Airways Vacations leaving July 16th and coming back on the 19th. With just this one trip I will lock in my CP status for all 2011 for around $800 out the door.

Next year at the airport instead of having a special line for elites they should have a special line for non-elites since!

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14268230)
I'm seeing it as
  • CVG-CLT: East
  • CLT-PVR: Route, Mexico
  • PVR-PHX: West
  • PHX-CLT-CVG: Nothing new
So 4 points total.