Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I think that was you there in 1A (or was it B) nice meeting you.

Well, got to the Westin (priceline, $65) at about 2:30 and back out on the 1:45. Got through border control in CLT fast enough to make the earlier flight home to PVD, but it was full (they claimed). The FA on the PVR-CLT flight was a bit ... whats the word I'm looking for.... yuck. As was the dry turkey sandwich. What was that?

Well, CP here I come!
That was me in 1B. The funny thing was after I commented on your FT luggage tags, it turned out a few others in the F cabin were doing MRs to PVR as well.

Agree regarding the FA on PVR-CLT. I tried to be as nice as I could to him but there was no cheering him up.

But, as you stated, CP here I come.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Maybe someone can clarify what this would earn:

EWR - PHL - BCN - PHL - EWR?

EWR-PHL is on Shuttle but is not listed as one of the Skip routes. So would this be three (skip + east hop + Europe hop) or two points (east + Europe hop)?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: None
EWR-PHL is not a Shuttle flight, since the Shuttle is strictly nonstops between LGA&BOS/DCA and between BOS & DCA. So your route would be 2 'hops' - East and Europe.

Jim
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by johnep1
That was me in 1B. The funny thing was after I commented on your FT luggage tags, it turned out a few others in the F cabin were doing MRs to PVR as well.

Agree regarding the FA on PVR-CLT. I tried to be as nice as I could to him but there was no cheering him up.

But, as you stated, CP here I come.
Only remaining question for me is, what will US do for the flight that went mechanical and returned from mexico to Tuscon, getting me into PVR around 4 hours late (1:45 aM vs 9:40pm) the night before my final jump? I had dreamed they'd just automatically drop a few thousand comp miles in, but alas, this is still US...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Plat
I just made Plat yesterday via 75,000 miles flown, and would love to use this promotion to get to CP. Is there anyone who earned a status post 7/7, then completed a 4 point HSJ, and then was bumped up a level? I've followed along for all 104 pages of this thread, but I'm not sure if we actually have a documented case of this working out for someone? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Only remaining question for me is, what will US do for the flight that went mechanical and returned from mexico to Tuscon, getting me into PVR around 4 hours late (1:45 aM vs 9:40pm) the night before my final jump? I had dreamed they'd just automatically drop a few thousand comp miles in, but alas, this is still US...
US will never do something like that automatically - you'll have to email and ask. But you'll probably end up with a few thousand miles out of it. Tell them that it made your day in PVR useless (other than earning CP).

Is it just me, or are flights posting to US account faster now than they used to? My PVR-CLT flight from Sunday posted this morning. Now I'm just waiting for the CP to hit my account. I guess I'll need to call US after that happens and ask that they remove my US # from my next reservation and reenter it so that the system picks it up as CP and not PP. Or has their 17 year old intern / IT department fixed that?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by miffSC
And you have to consider that there might not be a 'move up seat' available - I agree - just book your flight on Orbitz. That is what I did for my MLB flight - not a problem.
Just finished the BOS-PBG run. Unfortunately I had booked my flight before seeing the advice to use Orbitz, but it worked out fine as the load on the return flight was very light. At least two other guys on the flight also getting that point this morning. One did the same as me with the move up, the other did two one-ways.

According to the FA, "tons" of people are flying that route for this promotion. She wasn't at all surprised to see several of us get off, then back on the plane about 10 minutes later.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by johnep1
US will never do something like that automatically - you'll have to email and ask. But you'll probably end up with a few thousand miles out of it. Tell them that it made your day in PVR useless (other than earning CP).

Is it just me, or are flights posting to US account faster now than they used to? My PVR-CLT flight from Sunday posted this morning. Now I'm just waiting for the CP to hit my account. I guess I'll need to call US after that happens and ask that they remove my US # from my next reservation and reenter it so that the system picks it up as CP and not PP. Or has their 17 year old intern / IT department fixed that?
I wish I had thought of that -- I didnt get upgraded on the way to SFO; I bet it was because I was treated as gold since thats what I was when I booked. Should've thought of that. Agree, things are posting really fast. Nice.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Woohoo! This actually worked. I thought I was going to have to call, but my status was updated today.

I had received an email stating I was only 1 H/S/J away from completing the program, so I did a PHL-DEN turnaround on Saturday. I got upgraded on the return also, so that was nice. The crew mentioned it, but I think they're accustomed to this. Worked out pretty well as the stop in DEN was only 66min.

Anyway, I already got the automatic bump to Gold, which I beleive is now good until 2/12, right? Finally US Air did something right.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mudfish
Just finished the BOS-PBG run. Unfortunately I had booked my flight before seeing the advice to use Orbitz, but it worked out fine as the load on the return flight was very light. At least two other guys on the flight also getting that point this morning. One did the same as me with the move up, the other did two one-ways.

According to the FA, "tons" of people are flying that route for this promotion. She wasn't at all surprised to see several of us get off, then back on the plane about 10 minutes later.
I did the BOS-PBG run this weekend too. At least 8 people were doing it on the outbound and return.

The Sunday 4pm PBG-BOS was amusing. The plane was delayed on take-off because they didn't have a way to get a woman off the plane, because she had a broken leg. She couldn't go down the steep ladder from the plane so they drove the plane to the lone jetway.

They had to angle the jetway so it wouldn't hit the propeller. It was quite comical. They finally got her out by lifting her in a wheel chair from the plane over a very wide gap into the jetway. The gap was so wide, they didn't let us board using the jetway, but back out onto the tarmac.

My wife's status already shows platinum now. Sweet. I get to keep my CP even though I'm going to fly less than 50k miles this year.

Rich
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:47 pm

For those of you who are using the HJS promo to maintain current 2010 status through 2011 (actually 2/2012) rather than move up a level, is there any way to get "confirmation" from US that the HJS completion has been noted? Do they send a congratulatory e-mail or anything like that?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing on the US website that says how long status is good for, so no way to see if the data has changed from 2/11 to 2/12.

It doesn't sound like there have been any issues with people getting their HJS points counted correctly, but it would be good to have the peace of mind now rather than waiting until 3/11 to make sure I'm still a CP.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: US CP
Data point here: Saturday's flights posted yesterday, Sunday's flights posted this morning, and this afternoon my status bumped up to CP. Nice!

Now I need to figure out how to make best use of the upgrades...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Anyone Flying CLT-MLB this Saturday, September 25?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by BizJet
For those of you who are using the HJS promo to maintain current 2010 status through 2011 (actually 2/2012) rather than move up a level, is there any way to get "confirmation" from US that the HJS completion has been noted? Do they send a congratulatory e-mail or anything like that?
I don't think there's a way to maintain your current status through 2012 with the HSJ promo (unless <4 hop/skip/jump flights give you enough miles to maintain it and that's all you do - i.e. you maintain your status the old fashioned way). Each 4 HSJ points ups your current status by one level.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing on the US website that says how long status is good for, so no way to see if the data has changed from 2/11 to 2/12.
From the promotion page: "Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012." As for seeing the date in your account, I have no idea since I'm not even a member.

Jim
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: us1
Just finished my hjs

Flew dca-lga-clt-MLB-clt-den. The turn in MLB was no problem. Also had a crew change there so no wired looks or questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.