Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
In my run to CP. Headed for an extra stop in PVR on the way home from SFO, I booked UA to phx connecting to US (there was a US filght 45 mins earlier that I didnt think I could make.)

Well, UA is delayed over an hour and I'm going to have under an hour to connect from T2 to far T4 to get my US flight down. If I miss that, theres no way to get to PVR today, and maybe not in time to get my outbound to CLT tomorrow!

Anyone connect in PHX enough to guess if 50 mins is enough to change terminals and reclear security comfortably? Uncomfortably?
Did you make it? I came down on the 9 am PHX-PVR flight this morning and am on the 1:40 pm PVR-CLT flight tomorrow.

50 minutes should have been enough to plane (if you can deplane a plane then you should be able to plane a plane) the second plane if you can use the priority security lines and don't get in a big line for the, ummm, inappropriate viewing of the public "security" machines.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dracs
Mooper,

From Faqs for promo:

4 to 7 hops, skips, and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up one level.
Chairman's --> Chairman’s Preferred
Platinum --> Chairman’s Preferred
Gold --> Platinum Preferred
Silver --> Gold Preferred
Not a Preferred member --> Silver Preferred

Dracs.
So, here's my situation. On 7/7, I was Silver. I have since flown enough to be bumped to Gold as of last week. I am one jump away from 4, having already done an East-East, East-West, and Caribbean trip, so a Shuttle trip would do it ($250 r/t). Does this mean that regardless of taking the Shuttle trip, I'm going to still be Gold?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
In Nola now. Scheduled to take the 620 flight home via btr. Though hoping to get on the 1255 standby tomorrow. Looks like there still are seats.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: AX CNT|DL P|CO P|US CP|AT E|HH D|SPG P|RC 5C|HY D|PC P|AVS PC|HZ 1G|PRPCLB BLK|USCLB LIFE
Originally Posted by dml105
So, here's my situation. On 7/7, I was Silver. I have since flown enough to be bumped to Gold as of last week. I am one jump away from 4, having already done an East-East, East-West, and Caribbean trip, so a Shuttle trip would do it ($250 r/t). Does this mean that regardless of taking the Shuttle trip, I'm going to still be Gold?
According to the rules, it would appear you would stay Gold, but you can hope that the automated system isn't that smart and it simply bumps you up based upon the level you were at the time of the 4 point HSJ level completion.

If it was me, I would still try for it...it will still remain one of the best avenues for status. If you go for it, please update the thread to let folks know what the system did (usually posts 2 days after you hit the next level).

Also, with so many taking advantage of the HSJ Promo, Gold will likely become the new Silver or worse!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:00 pm

According to the rules you would be Gold, however if you read through all 100+ pages of this thread ppl have reported getting bumped up from their current status, so you will likely be plat
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by johnep1
Did you make it? I came down on the 9 am PHX-PVR flight this morning and am on the 1:40 pm PVR-CLT flight tomorrow.

50 minutes should have been enough to plane (if you can deplane a plane then you should be able to plane a plane) the second plane if you can use the priority security lines and don't get in a big line for the, ummm, inappropriate viewing of the public "security" machines.
Got in to PHX from SFO at 4:20 for my 4:49 flight. Made it from mid T2 to B16 in T4 in 19 minutes, door was already closed ;( Begged, stating my feat of speed was worth opening the door, they did! Plane went mechanical as we crossed the border into mexico and we're still in TUSCON where they decided to land us. Should get to PVR by about 1am local time, they claim....
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
You will be bumped to Plat. I am in a similar situation - just earned Silver a few weeks ago the normal way, and a few days later got an email saying I was only 2 h/s/j's away from Gold. I called and emailed to question the definition of "pre-offer status" and both replies verified that I would go to Gold.

From the email reply: "The statement regarding pre-promotion status was only for our members who are holding trial Preferred status."
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Got in to PHX from SFO at 4:20 for my 4:49 flight. Made it from mid T2 to B16 in T4 in 19 minutes, door was already closed ;( Begged, stating my feat of speed was worth opening the door, they did! Plane went mechanical as we crossed the border into mexico and we're still in TUSCON where they decided to land us. Should get to PVR by about 1am local time, they claim....
Wow - I'm surprised US did something nice in opening the door for you.

It looks like you got to PVR at 1:45 am. Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end.

Are you on the 1:40 to CLT today?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: US CP
In the midst of MLB-CLT-BTR now. The Melbourbe airport was nice enough, we'll see how BTR is. I'm not turning, though: I figured that while I was in NOLA I would enjoy a good meal before heading back to LA. But I expect I'll see someone doing the turn...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Need Help

Hey, I'm a newbie here...and could use a little help. I recently got my 4th hop to take me to gold for next year...but my wife is now only 2 away from silver. We're based in PHX, and have already completed East-West, West-West, East-Europe, CLT-FCO (jump). I have about $1,000 in credits from canceled work flights i can use, any great Run ideas?
And if this is in the wrong forum I apologize, this is only my 2nd post, and i couldn't decide if this what better put in the mileage run catagory.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, HHonors Silver
Recent flight to CDG gave me my 4th h/s/j and my gold status posted a couple of days later while we were still in Paris. Was pleasantly surprised when checking in for our flight home -- as the agent handed me my boarding pass, she asked if I knew where the club was. I had forgotten that my new *Gold status got me access to Star Alliance club at CDG. Nice.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by johnep1
Since US seems to be after the non-profitable customers, who has gotten to CP for the least amount?

I can see it now, instead of FT profiles stating things like 1K lite, we'll have things like <$300 CP.
Keep in mind that because CP doesn't come with anything like free flights or RDMs, its cost to US is tied almost directly to the amount flown. The more someone with CP status flies, the more it costs them, but the more revenue and profit they book, too. Therefore, giving it away to those clever enough to snag it for low amounts isn't necessarily a bad thing. Also, when EQMs are earned via credit card or other promotional spending, the margins are far in excess of those tied to BIS revenue.

I'm a case in point. I'm earning 17 months of Platinum for ~$150, where I would have dropped my status completely, if not for the promo, because I don't fly US much these days. If I continue not to fly, the status they give me costs them little. If having the status spurs me to fly US more, as it will, then it will cost them, but only in conjunction with profitable newfound revenue.

Originally Posted by MB4674
I looks like there's high demand for those seats due to HSJ. However, I'm still seeing under $300 R/T flights from MLB-CLT-BTR-CLT-MLB which will count as 2 jumps. I'd fly into MCO, drive to & stay the night in MLB. Then, do the MLB to BTR jumps the next day and return home via MCO that night.
Great idea. A similar alternative is to get an open-jaw itinerary into BTR or MLB and then out of the other. That way, you can spend as low as $150 on the US flights (half of the amount needed in your method) and skip the driving, save some time. Of course, you need a reasonable open jaw option that will work for you. a 25K DL domestic award could do the trick there, if the purchase price is otherwise too high. In my case, I had a business itinerary planned that I tweaked at no cost to allow for it.

Originally Posted by dracs
Mooper,

From Faqs for promo:

4 to 7 hops, skips, and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up one level.
Chairman's --> Chairman’s Preferred
Platinum --> Chairman’s Preferred
Gold --> Platinum Preferred
Silver --> Gold Preferred
Not a Preferred member --> Silver Preferred

Dracs.
I'm not sure if you mean to confirm that my itinerary works or if you're suggesting that it won't. The terms above suggest I'll go from Gold>Platinum for my ~$150 and 4.5 hours of smelly RJ time.

Originally Posted by Chaikel
...if you read through all 100+ pages of this thread ppl have reported getting bumped up from their current status, so you will likely be plat
Jeebus! Just change your settings to show more posts per page and you'd need to read through only 40-some... much easier!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:14 am

If you take 1-3 HSJs will you maintain your current status into next year?

I know the rules state:
1, 2, or 3 hops, skips and jumps will not change your current Preferred status.

so does that mean nothing happens for 1-3 and you wont change as in not move up, or you wont change as in it will maintain current level?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by PrivatetoComercial
We're based in PHX, and have already completed East-West, West-West, East-Europe, CLT-FCO (jump).
If that's what your wife has flown - East, West, and Europe 'Hops' and CLT-FCO 'Jump' - she should have the 4 points necessary to get Silver.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Sep 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Sorry

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If that's what your wife has flown - East, West, and Europe 'Hops' and CLT-FCO 'Jump' - she should have the 4 points necessary to get Silver.

Jim
I have the Europe/CLT-FCO Jump, my wife does not. I had to travel for business there, and couldn't afford to bring her with. She just has a PHX-PVD and PHX-LAX. Sorry for being unclear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.