spam purporting to be from US Airways?

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
spam purporting to be from US Airways?

Just got the following email (my email address redacted). The problem is that I didn't book travel with US, unless someone hacked my account. It also doesn't sound like "myusairways" is the right domain for USAirways. I thought it was usairways.com. So this looks to me like spam. Has anyone else received it?

And whom should I email or forward this to at US Airways itself to alert them?

Date: Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM
Subject: We owe you miles!
To: [email protected]

Please add [email protected] to your personal address book to ensure delivery. Please do not reply to this email.
Book travel Travel tools Dividend Miles Mileage specials US Airways Vacations
There are miles of opportunities. Don't miss out!
Confirmation code: xxxxxx
Departure date: 07-xx-2010

Thanks for buying a ticket with US.

We owe each person on your itinerary 810 miles – but each person needs to have a Dividend Miles account to get them!

Don't let your miles go to waste:

1. If you have a Dividend Miles account, look up your reservation with confirmation code XX0000 and add your Dividend Miles number. Once you're all set up, we'll post your miles within 5 days of your travel.
2. If you don't have an account, join Dividend Miles now. It's free and will only take a few minutes.

Join Dividend Miles

Need more miles?

Get up to 35,000 more miles with a US Airways MasterCard.®

Plus, you can take up to two guests with you on your next trip for only $99 each (plus taxes and fees).

Learn more or apply online

Subscription information: You have received this message because you purchased a ticket on US Airways. This email was sent to [email protected].

We are committed to protecting your privacy. Your information is kept private and confidential. For information about our privacy policy visit usairways.com.

4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85034 | Copyright US Airways 1996 - 2010. All rights reserved.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
I don't know why they do this, but [email protected] is the FROM address they use for correspondence regarding promotional activities.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
US uses addresses @myusairways.com for its promotional emails. And there's an option to add additional email addresses when booking a ticket on usairways.com -- perhaps someone without a DM account sent you a confirmation email via that method?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dtremit
US uses addresses @myusairways.com for its promotional emails. And there's an option to add additional email addresses when booking a ticket on usairways.com -- perhaps someone without a DM account sent you a confirmation email via that method?
That's possible: I'll take a look and see. But I still think the email is badly worded, and looks like a phishing scam. I am not the one who booked any ticket, and they know that, so why am I being addressed as someone who will lose out on earning miles unless I add a DM number to the itinerary or sign up for an account?

And they really ought to get rid of the stupid myusairways.com domain...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
When you book for other people you do have the option of adding in their email address, not just for sending the itinerary but for notifications (change in schedule etc). I would not be surprised to see US culling these reservations for email addresses without a DM number; any smart airline would do that, because the more people signed up for the frequent flyer program, the more valuable it becomes. Your FF program is worth more if it has more members (analysts have been saying for a long time that UA's MP program is the most valuable asset, even moreso than planes). You can also charge your advertisers more if you have more people on your mailing list.

You can always see if the email is legit by taking the confirmation code and date of travel on the reservation and running it through the Manage My Reservations tool on US website. If it comes up and it's in your name then the airline got your address from whoever booked the reservation.

FWIW I think the whole "myusairways.com" domain is a throwback to the days when *everyone* had a MyWherever.com domain. It was supposed to be more cozy and personal for non-technical users for some reason. Not that there'd be different content, just that including "my" in a domain name is somehow supposed to make the customer feel cozier. Maybe they're not changing it because they don't want their mails going to peoples' spam folders when the customer doesn't update their Trusted Senders list.

Last edited by dcpatti; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:20 am Reason: reposting as half my post disappeared for some reason
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
This e-mail looks very suspicious to me. I would say "call their fraud department," but we have already established in other threads that the fraud department does not wish to speak to customers.

In all seriousness, I would forward this e-mail to Customer Relations, and ask them if they can vet its legitimacy.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
IMO it's not real & some one is trying to steal your info. I would NOT click on it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:15 am

The email lists a departure date and confirmation code. You could go on usairways.com and find this reservation using those two pieces of information to see if this is your reservation.

Also, I get lots of emails from myusairways.com domain ending- promotions, dm statements. I don't think it's a phish.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
That email is triggered when you book a ticket with no US DM number. It's genuine.

It's possible someone accidentally entered the wrong email address in the email box, and it got to you.

e.g.:
There are miles of opportunities. Don't miss out!
Confirmation code: XXXXXX
Departure date: 01-XX-2010

Thanks for buying a ticket with US.

We owe each person on your itinerary 2,706 miles – but each person needs to have a Dividend Miles account to get them!

Don't let your miles go to waste:

1. If you don't have an account, join Dividend Miles now. It's free and will only take a few minutes.
2. If you do, look up your reservation with confirmation code XXXXXX add your Dividend Miles number.

Remember, you can only claim miles for yourself and the name on your ticket must be the same name on your Dividend Miles account. Once you're all set up, we'll post your miles within 5 days of your travel.

Get up to 35,000 more miles with a US Airways MasterCard.®

Plus, you can take up to two guests with you on your next trip for only $99 each (plus taxes and fees).

Learn more or apply online
HTSC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.