Near Miss Experience

Old Apr 21, 10, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Near Miss Experience

Was flying US 67 yesterday and on final approach about 100 feet off the ground, the pilot banked hard left and accelerated quite fast. About 5 minutes later he came on to say that there was a plane on the runway at BOS where we were landing and we would circle around and land in about 10 minutes. After landing, the Captain came out of the cockpit, all sweaty, tie undone and went right in the bathroom. Being seated in Row 1, I had a first hand look at him. Another fellow flyer asked him " Did you or ATC decide to pull up" He said they saw it and told him, but he saw it also. Until then it was a nice flight with a surprisingly good meal. For those interested, cheese omellette, sausage links, homefries, croissant and fresh fruit cup, all served with smiles.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, not the meal but the landing?
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:11 pm

Programs: *A
Wow that's scary!
Interesting that both ATC and the pilot picked up on it, but only at 100 feet up. It really shouldn't be that close.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

If he was sweaty and hie tie was undone, it wasn't due to the routine go-around. He probably had minimal A/C output up front.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:13 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by barney44 View Post
Was flying US 67 yesterday and on final approach about 100 feet off the ground, the pilot banked hard left and accelerated quite fast. About 5 minutes later he came on to say that there was a plane on the runway at BOS where we were landing and we would circle around and land in about 10 minutes. After landing, the Captain came out of the cockpit, all sweaty, tie undone and went right in the bathroom. Being seated in Row 1, I had a first hand look at him. Another fellow flyer asked him " Did you or ATC decide to pull up" He said they saw it and told him, but he saw it also.

In the words of George Carlin, that wasn't a "near miss", that was a "NEAR HIT!!!!". Seriously, that's scary stuff. It's good to know that you were able to tell us about it.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes, twice at SFO, apparently both times there were planes moving on the ground that he did not like the look of, or he did not like their position.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by sds1493 View Post
Wow that's scary!
Interesting that both ATC and the pilot picked up on it, but only at 100 feet up. It really shouldn't be that close.
I'm thinking that the plane on the ground did something it wasn't supposed to do.
Old Apr 21, 10, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

That's the most logical thought

One would hope that would be the case. In clear mid afternoon daylight it should have been a plane in the wrong spot.

Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
I'm thinking that the plane on the ground did something it wasn't supposed to do.
Old Apr 21, 10, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Routine Go-Around

I must say that a routine go-around should not occur at 100 feet above ground. That is much too late for something to be routine in my humble opinion.

Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
If he was sweaty and hie tie was undone, it wasn't due to the routine go-around. He probably had minimal A/C output up front.
Old Apr 21, 10, 4:00 pm

You can listen to the air traffic control recording of this "incident" on LiveATC.net. It sounds like a perfectly routine go-around and certainly nothing approaching a "near miss."

The communication is a little tough to make out, but apparently there is some sort of vehicle that was crossing the active runway. After the controller asks US67 to go around, he explains, "I apologize, the machine says to go around, even though the vehicle is clear, so we have to send you around anyway." The pilot responds, "I gotcha." He sounds more inconvenienced than at all alarmed.

Again, not sure exactly what the deal was the vehicle on the runway, but this definitely doesn't sound like anything but routine.

To listen to the recording for yourself, go to LiveATC.net and click on Live Feed Archives on the left-side menu bar. Download the BOS Tower recording (mp3) for April 20 at 1900Z. US67 first checks-in at the 17:30 mark, and the go-around is around 18:50.
Old Apr 21, 10, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Maybe 8 years ago landing in ELP, I had something similar happen. We either touched down or were darn close and then immediately gained impressive altitude. About two minutes later, the pilot made an announcement that we had to go around because a FedEx plane "had not finished dragging its fat butt off the runway."
Old Apr 21, 10, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I had this happen a few years ago in PHL, on a Southwest flight...we had just touched the runway when we took off again at a very steep angle. The plane was eerily silent, but it was pretty clear what happened...which the pilot confirmed on the PA before we landed again, about 12 minutes later.
Old Apr 21, 10, 10:17 pm

Programs: US Chairman, AA Plat Pro, HHonors Diamond, National Exec
Twice for me at CLT. Once over the grass just at the edge of the runway, once about 3 seconds before that. Sometimes a plane doesn't clear as quick as folks think it will, and the pilot will usually err on the safe side and waste 10 minutes rather than end up as "breaking news."

You get so used to the normal performance parameters of a plane that it is a jolt to the senses when they do some unusual maneuvers like this. Makes you wonder what the ride is like during flights that go really wrong.
Old Apr 21, 10, 10:18 pm

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
I had a go around on a US Air flight back in 2000 at CLT. We had already passed the runway threshold and were starting to flare when the pilot intitiated a go around. He came on the PA shortly after we were level and on downwind and explained that ATC mistimed the approach and the previous aircraft hadn't cleared the runway, but there was no danger. He said it was a waste of 10 minutes and about $1500 of jet fuel.

As a sidenote, runway incursions are a hot topic for the FAA right now. A safety margin is built into the system especially at airports with intersecting runway ops like BOS.
Old Apr 21, 10, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Every time I have flown LH on arrival at JFK.
Old Apr 22, 10, 3:46 pm

Once at DCA, once at IAD. At DCA, it was a US 737 domestic flight landing on the (twisty) river approach on a windy day and we just weren't aligned at minimums, so off we went around. Nothing dramatic and passengers seemed more annoyed at the delayed landing than any danger.

At IAD, it was a VS340 from LHR and that was a touch hairier: almost wheels down on a routine approach when engines powered full up, aircraft banked right and climbed out steeply. Lots of gasping and squealing from the audience, and much applause on the subsequent landing. Pilot explained there was another aircraft on the runway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: