USAir "changed" my reservation - to a different city!

Old Apr 21, 10, 5:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

USAir "changed" my reservation - to a different city!

I book a flight from LAX-PHL 2 weeks ago. Check in today online. Get to airport, check in at desk, check my bags. Get my boarding passes to PHL.
What could possibly go wrong?

When I get to the jetway they scan my boarding pass. BEEEEEP! Gate agent tells me they have no record of me being booked on this flight. Great. I have to go to the desk at the gate. After they search for 10 minutes in the computer, there is no record of me on this flight to PHL. Further digging and the agents tells me this "you were on this flight, but last week you called our reservation hotline and changed your destination city to Charlotte"

WHAT?!??! When the heck did I do that? I just sat their with a stupid look on my face.

So we argue back and forth. I have my bording pass, checked in online, and a baggage check to PHL! What do they do? Print out new boarding passes to CLT!

"sorry sir, last week you called and changed your trip to CLT".

I just asked for a refund since it was total bs. They refuse, then call a supervisor.

After further digging by a supervisor, it turns out the guy at the check in desk decided for some reason to change me to CLT instead of PHL. Gee thanks. I was the last one on the plane and there was 1 seat in 1st class left so I got it.

Unbelievable. This is the kind of stupid bs that ticks me off about airlines. Do they not think I'd remember if I called and changed my destination city and ontop of that why would my online acct and boarding pass say PHL!
Old Apr 21, 10, 8:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread as it is moved to the US Airways forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:27 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Nice job not climbing over the counter and assaulting anyone.

Similar thing happened to me not too long ago. I was flying from PIT-OGG on a full F fare on US. Long story short, after cancelled flights and re-routings, I get to ATL on DL, proceed to board the flight to LAX, and was told that US cancelled my ticket all together. Had to troop over to the US counters, get a paper ticket, go back to DL, and fly to LAX in coach on a paid first class fare. Arrive at LAX, gate agent tells me that he has no record of me being on this flight, and that if I wanted to get to Maui, I would have to buy a first class ticket for $1380, as coach was oversold. I usually don't lose my cool, but I came SO close that day to hurting someone. US finally refunded my $1380, and I got a "generous" travel voucher for $300.
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:49 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyer26 View Post
US finally refunded my $1380, and I got a "generous" travel voucher for $300.
But the $1380 was just from LAX to Hawaii, right? So was the $300 voucher the only compensation you received for the ATL-LAX in Y downgrade + the hassle?

I'd have disputed the original ticket cost with my CC company and expected all of the rest.
Old Apr 21, 10, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
How does this stuff happen?

Reminds me of the time I called in late 2008 to cancel an upcoming flight. I gave them my DLN and name and they cancelled my flight. The scary thing was that they never asked me for my FF# or anything else. They could not have identified me by caller ID as I called from work. I got off the phone and resolved to always shred any written record of upcoming flights as "anybody" could call up and cancel one of my flights without me knowing it! I wonder if this process has changed.

Last edited by apeortdz; Apr 21, 10 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 21, 10, 10:04 am

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
"sorry sir, last week you called and changed your trip to CLT".
Originally Posted by johntaylorny
After further digging by a supervisor, it turns out the guy at the check in desk decided for some reason to change me to CLT instead of PHL.
Did you call out the GA for the obvious lie? Dang, I would have been pi$$ed.
Old Apr 21, 10, 10:22 am

Yes, the $1380 was just LAX-OGG. Unfortunately that's not the end of the story. The flights home were cancelled due to MX as well. They were able to get us in F to PHX, but had to fly in coach to PIT.

After you said that, I think we were given ~$180 for the fare difference from PHX-PIT, but nothing for the outbound. The way US handled that situation was completely unbelievable. Here's my complaint for anyone who cares....it's a good read.

Also, I apparently exaggerated on the ticket price...my bad.

I purchased 4 first class tickets from Pittsburgh to Maui as a Christmas present for my parents, myself, and my girlfriend. When we arrived at the airport on April 18, we checked in and went to the US Airways club and found out that our 7:40 am flight was delayed 50 minutes. We didn't worry, as that still left us enough time to connect in Phoenix. We went to the gate, and found out that they needed to fly a part in from Charlotte, and that we wouldn't take off until 10:30. We went back to the US Airways club to have our tickets changed, and we were told that there we wouldn't be able to get on the later flight to Maui out of Phoenix. The club representative worked very, very hard to get us rebooked on a flight from PIT to ATL to LAX to OGG. She insured my parents and my girlfriend that they would be in first class the entire way from PIT to OGG, but said that she couldn't confirm me in first class only from PIT to ATL, but that I was in first from ATL-OGG. That was fine...we were just happy to get there that day. When we arrived at the Delta gate in PIT, we were told that our tickets weren't reissued, and that all of the first class seats to ATL were gone. We didn't think it was a huge deal, because it was a short flight. I was not happy to be flying from PIT to ATL in coach, but I didn't have much of a choice. When I got off of the plane in ATL, I checked my boarding pass, and it said that I was still in coach from ATL to OGG. I called the platinum preferred line, and she told me that I needed to find a US Airways ticket counter in ATL, and have the ticket reissued. So, we went all the way from A concourse to D concourse in ATL to the US Airways gate. The employees in ATL were the most unprofessional US Airways employees I have ever encountered. They were screaming in their walkie talkies and running around the counter area smacking each other. The young lady that began helping me acted like this was totally my fault. They apparently printed my ticket to paper, which I was later informed by a US Airways agent in PIT, that they shouldn't have done, and gave me a flight coupon to take to the gate in ATL. I asked the Delta agent in ATL if she could print me 2 boarding passes - one from ATL to LAX in coach (all F seats had been given away by this point), and one from LAX to OGG in first, and handed her the coupon that the US Airways agents gave me. She said, "This means nothing to me," and handed me back my coach boarding pass from ATL all the way to OGG. I explained to her what the US Airways agents did, and she didn't understand why they did what they did, and said that there was nothing I could do, but check at the gate in LAX. So, I sat in seat 39D from ATL to LAX, and got off the plane in LAX and went to the gate agent to inquire about my first class seat to OGG that I was promised I had. The gate agent told me that I didn't even have a seat on the flight to OGG, and that I may not even be able to get on the flight. Coach was oversold, and they told me that if I wanted to get on the flight, I would have to buy a first class ticket, which is what I did, for $1,125.21. (Ticket # 00621535174120) We arrived in OGG without our luggage, and were informed that it was still in PIT, and may arrive the next day, which, thankfully it did. We had an excellent stay in Maui until we were on our way to the airport on April 29, when I received a call from US Airways stating that US Airways flight 31 from OGG to PHX was cancelled because of maintenance. We couldn't believe that this happened again!! I hurried to call the platinum preferred line, and she was unable to book us on anything that night, but was able to rebook us the following night. She said that she was able to get us first class seats from OGG to PHX, but first class was unavailable from PHX to PIT. We arrived at the airport at around 4:30, and there were NO US Airways employees there at the ticket counter or in the baggage office to get a hotel voucher from. Instead, we had to wait until 7:45 when we finally received our voucher. I kept trying to upgrade our flights from PHX to PIT, but was unable to do so, as everything was sold out. I was very upset that I had paid a first class fare, but had to fly coach for most of my trip, and still had to buy a first class ticket at the Delta counter in LAX to even get to Maui. We had a miserable flight from PHX to PIT - I was in 9D, which didn't recline and leaned slightly forward, my parents were in 20A and 20F, and my girlfriend was in 25B. Our flights were supposed to be so comfortable and relaxed, but turned into a complete nightmare...both ways!! I'm a platinum preferred member on US Airways, and feel a strong loyalty to your airline, but this last experience really has made me question that loyalty, and wonder if my business would be more appreciated elsewhere. I feel that I should be compenstated for the segments that we were unable to fly in first class, and also for the ticket that I had to purchase on Delta. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:15 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
How does this stuff happen?

Reminds me of the time I called in late 2008 to cancel an upcoming flight. I gave them my DLN and name and they cancelled my flight. The scary thing was that they never asked me for my FF# or anything else. They could not have identified me by caller ID as I called form work. I got off the phone and resolved to always shred any written record of upcoming flights as "anybody" could call up and cancel one of my flights without me knowing it! I wonder if this process has changed.
Once I was about 6 hours late getting to SAT due to weather diversions; my co-worker was waiting at SAT for me and the rental car was in my name. Avis was out of cars. My co-worker asked them if they'd give him my car. They DID. Never spoke to me (I was flying at the time!), never called my corporate travel desk, and didn't change the billing to his name or drivers license. That did not go over well!
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
How does this stuff happen???

As a former airline employee, let me comment on that. At the end of the day, you are dealing with humans (even the best of whom are prone to errors from time to time) and with computers (which sometimes don't behave the way that humans expect).

In a normal check-in situation, things usually go smoothly. However, a human may accidentally type one character incorrectly (without noticing0 and everything goes awry. Similarly, the computer may well have done something strange on its own. An automated entry may have been misinterpreted, an electronic message for another reservation may have crossed with yours, etc.

In an irregular operations situation (delays, cancellations, etc.), the problem is that many passengers need to be re-booked quickly. It is relatively straightforward to re-book on the SAME carrier. What is much more difficult is to re-book on ANOTHER carrier. Sometimes, in haste, the agent may think that they have completed the new reservations when, if fact, it did not go through. Sometimes, the computer systems don't interface in real-time and the reservations isn't confirmed for some reason.

One key rule: if you have problems on your outbound flight, call the airline once you arrive at your destination to make sure that the return is still intact.
Old Apr 21, 10, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by USFlyer26 View Post
I was flying from PIT-OGG on a full F fare on US.
Full fare F to Hawaii and you voluntarily chose US??
Old Apr 21, 10, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Full fare F to Hawaii and you voluntarily chose US??
This was what I was thinking too...
Old Apr 21, 10, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4 View Post
This was what I was thinking too...
I know, I know. I'm doing it again next Thursday! Hopefully the ride on the 767 will be a little more comfy in F than the tattered west 757's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: