FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   London flight - bump? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1075456-london-flight-bump.html)

treznor Apr 19, 10 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration (Post 13802240)
firstly, Biscuitville rocks!

secondly, I did the right this and moved flights to LGW from CLT directly for next week (this is actually way easier than risking being grounded in PHL for 15 days or being auto-rebooked to LHR by Airways reservations tomorrow).

Anyone else heading to Gatwick (fingers crossed) from CLT next week?

I'll be on the flight on Monday (and the Monday after that) :)

USPhilly Apr 19, 10 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 13800091)
Rebooking helps the other pax out just as much if the flight operates - the seat you currently have can be given to someone else. It also helps the airline out more since there's no hotel/meals to pay for. So if your desire is to help your fellow travelers and the airline out, rebooking is the way to go.

Somewhat OT but for this reason I'm surprised that US hasn't extended the travel advisory through the weekend so that those who have more flexible plans, like the OP, can change their plans to allow more open seats earlier. I would think this would get travel back to normal quicker. I'm probably wrong here but it makes sense to me. What am I missing?

fwdlink Apr 20, 10 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13805440)
Somewhat OT but for this reason I'm surprised that US hasn't extended the travel advisory through the weekend so that those who have more flexible plans, like the OP, can change their plans to allow more open seats earlier. I would think this would get travel back to normal quicker. I'm probably wrong here but it makes sense to me. What am I missing?

Hate to dash the luck but LHR is opening from 2200 BST tonight and looks to remain open, this is all UK airspace. New rules applied, hopefully US will start sending their metal tomorrow this way, I'm on 728 from LHR in Envoy on Saturday. Anyone else? Care to catch up in the BMI lounge before the flight, PM me.

MaineFlyer16 Apr 20, 10 10:03 pm

I booked an award seat on tomorrows PHL-LHR a month ago. So far, it looks like it will go. I called US today to try to cancel it to allow stranded pax go, and told them I could rebook in June or get the miles back--but no dice. They told me I had to pay a $250 redeposit fee...so guess I'm going tomorrow...hoping for VDB...and pissed at US for not allowing me to give up my seat to people who have been stranded here for days.

BoeingBoy Apr 20, 10 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13805440)
Somewhat OT but for this reason I'm surprised that US hasn't extended the travel advisory through the weekend

Sometime in the last couple of days, they did extend it through the 25th for UK flights, although if UK airspace opens up they may change it back again.

Jim

Markie Apr 21, 10 1:22 am

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 13812912)
I booked an award seat on tomorrows PHL-LHR a month ago. So far, it looks like it will go. I called US today to try to cancel it to allow stranded pax go, and told them I could rebook in June or get the miles back--but no dice. They told me I had to pay a $250 redeposit fee...so guess I'm going tomorrow...hoping for VDB...and pissed at US for not allowing me to give up my seat to people who have been stranded here for days.

I am on the LHR-PHL tomorrow so hope that the PHL-LHR leaves tonight!

USPhilly Apr 21, 10 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 13813312)
Sometime in the last couple of days, they did extend it through the 25th for UK flights, although if UK airspace opens up they may change it back again.

Thanks Jim, I missed that and it does appear that UK airspace is open. Even still, doesn't it make sense to keep the travel advisory in effect to get things back to normal quicker by taking advantage of those pax who can/want to change.

IADCAflyer Apr 21, 10 8:23 am

Holy @rap. I just played with the US ticket feature. No seats at ALL to LHR until the 28th of April. And then, hah, look at the fare from DCA to LHR - $3000 for coach class.

Are they gouging or what?

BTW, US's seat mapper SUCKS today. None of the itineraries seems to be able to pull up the seat map utility. I get a continuous string of the scrolling US flag...

BTW #2....Is it me or did anyone else notice that the Choice seats are now visible again (over 24 hours before departure)?

dcpatti Apr 21, 10 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 13812912)

Yeah I don't understand this either; doesn't make sense to penalize someone who might be freeing up a seat for someone who needs it more. I'd think it's a win-win; US gets to accomodate someone who really needs it, the volunteer gets to make alternate plans in a timely fashion, and one less person to pay compensation for a VDB. The only thing I can think of as a justification behind this "all or nothing" type policy is increased consistency; if the ticket agents have a little more flexibility in allowing penalty-free changes, then it's another situation where you can get what you want simply by playing Agent Roulette and calling back several times till you find a Friendly. And inconsistency in applying rules is one of the most common gripes I see when it comes to US. So maybe that is where this comes from?

vincentvan Apr 21, 10 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13814996)
BTW #2....Is it me or did anyone else notice that the Choice seats are now visible again (over 24 hours before departure)?

I noticed the same thing last night..

BoeingBoy Apr 21, 10 9:29 am

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13814838)
Thanks Jim, I missed that and it does appear that UK airspace is open. Even still, doesn't it make sense to keep the travel advisory in effect to get things back to normal quicker by taking advantage of those pax who can/want to change.

Personally I think it does make sense. What doesn't make sense is res wanting to hit you with a fee for changing your flight to a different date.

Jim

TINPA Apr 21, 10 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13814996)
Holy @rap. I just played with the US ticket feature. No seats at ALL to LHR until the 28th of April. And then, hah, look at the fare from DCA to LHR - $3000 for coach class.

Are they gouging or what?

FWIW prices were already high. I paid almost $2K (including tax) for PHL to LHR this weekend, but I booked it a full week pre-volcano.

IADCAflyer Apr 21, 10 10:25 am

Originally Posted by TINPA (Post 13815657)
FWIW prices were already high. I paid almost $2K (including tax) for PHL to LHR this weekend, but I booked it a full week pre-volcano.

$2k - One way or round trip?

TINPA Apr 21, 10 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13815770)
$2k - One way or round trip?

My fare is round trip - that was painful enough, are you're saying it's now $3K one way? If so that is definitely gouging. I wonder if the other carriers are doing the same?

IADCAflyer Apr 21, 10 10:46 am

Originally Posted by TINPA (Post 13815858)
My fare is round trip - that was painful enough, are you're saying it's now $3K one way? If so that is definitely gouging. I wonder if the other carriers are doing the same?

Yes, $3000 one way.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4929/gouge.jpg