Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic Ash Closes UK and other Northern European Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: None
They should allow you to extend your stay. The sooner you do it the better I would think. I imagine that all the people that haven't been able to leave for the U.S. are filling up seats on later flights as they are rescheduled.

Jim
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:40 pm

deleted - dupe post. Jim
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:46 am

deleted

Last edited by servus; Apr 18, 2010 at 2:57 am Reason: deleting
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If you mean the green, red, and blue lines they're the extent of the ash cloud at different altitudes, which is given by the notations. Red is from the surface to 10,ooo', green is 10,000' to 20,000', and blue is 20,000' to 35,000'.

Jim
Here is the latest set of maps. Unlike yesterday, nothing in the blue range now. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271591498.png

However, if a plane is going to land at an airport, does the airport need to be out of the red zone? If so, much of Europe will still be shutdown for a while.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:13 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
It's 10:15 am Sun...no word yet on Paris.

UPDATE******CANCELED!

Last edited by flight62; Apr 18, 2010 at 8:53 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:40 am

More cancellations tonight heading east:

722 - DUB
734 - MAN
728 - LHR
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by chrisphx
Here is the latest set of maps. Unlike yesterday, nothing in the blue range now. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271591498.png

Even though it's still a long way off, I'm amazed by how close to the United States that cloud has crept. I thought that with the prevailing winds moving west-to-east, that ash cloud would not extend much west of Europe. Is there any chance that ash cloud could make it to the U.S.??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:47 am

However, if a plane is going to land at an airport, does the airport need to be out of the red zone? If so, much of Europe will still be shutdown for a while.
You'll notice that they are just using two altitude zones now, not three. The altitude range is still the same - surface to 35,000'.

Generally, Eurocontrol says that airports within closed airspace are also closed. The exception would be for low altitude ops in areas where the airspace isn't closed from the surface up.

Jim
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
They should allow you to extend your stay. The sooner you do it the better I would think. I imagine that all the people that haven't been able to leave for the U.S. are filling up seats on later flights as they are rescheduled.

Jim
OK. Thanks! I will try to wait to see if ZRH Airports will be reopened again. So however, I should have to be extended stay for a few days due to EU airspace is closed until the further notice. So I will wait to see if my trip is running back to normal routine.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
I'll post this question here

I was supposed to go to FRA tomorrow on US700 for a meeting. The meeting was just canceled.
It will not be rescheduled.

Question: Should I wait until 700 is canceled tomorrow, or should I call now and try to free up the seat? All my travel is booked for the next few weeks, so I am not really sure what I can do with the revised ticket policy provisions listed on the web page.

While my ticket was pricey it was not booked in a refundable ticket class.

Thanks in advance for your advice and any suggestions (and good luck to everyone trying to get home).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordieboy
I was supposed to go to FRA tomorrow on US700 for a meeting. The meeting was just canceled.
It will not be rescheduled.

Question: Should I wait until 700 is canceled tomorrow, or should I call now and try to free up the seat? All my travel is booked for the next few weeks, so I am not really sure what I can do with the revised ticket policy provisions listed on the web page.

While my ticket was pricey it was not booked in a refundable ticket class.

Thanks in advance for your advice and any suggestions (and good luck to everyone trying to get home).
Wait until your flight is canceled. If it's canceled, you can get a full, free refund.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Wait until your flight is canceled. If it's canceled, you can get a full, free refund.
Will it still be the case for partially used US award tickets? My friend has a flight out of MUC back to NRT tomorrow. Hopefully, LH will rebook for the first available flight.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:16 am

734 - MAN
728 - LHR

However, Dublin has not been cancelled, at least not yet:

722 - DUB
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:18 am

734 - MAN
728 - LHR

However, Dublin has not been cancelled, at least not yet:

722 - DUB

Add

732- LGW
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:22 am

700 - fra

704 - fra

706 - muc

710 - zhr

722 - dub

Last edited by tahitigirl; Apr 19, 2010 at 8:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.