FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   PROMO: Spring 2010 Double Preferred Miles - Apr 13 to June 15 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1073984-promo-spring-2010-double-preferred-miles-apr-13-june-15-a.html)

USPhilly Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by liveon777 (Post 13791852)
I am actually flying to ANC in 2 weeks (in paid FC). So if I understand this all correctly, I will get the 50% bonus towards preferred per the promo, and ALSO the 50% class-of-service bonus for a paid FC ticket?

You should get a 100% bonus for the miles flown plus the COS bonus. In order to get the promo bonus EQMs, you had to have registered for the promor before you booked.

liveon777 Apr 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13791960)
You should get a 100% bonus for the miles flown plus the COS bonus. In order to get the promo bonus EQMs, you had to have registered for the promor before you booked.

Ahh, tahnks for that info. I did register before booking, so it looks liek I ought to be in good shape!

glueguy Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am

Booked 14 segments for travel through early June, yep, week before this came out. Grrr.......

I'll probably get one flight added in that will actually count in the promo....

mybagfits Apr 19, 2010 11:40 pm

This is great news. The one thing that I don't like is not getting double eqm's for flights I already flew after the promo started (didn't find out about it until today) and apparently not getting double eqm for upcoming flights already booked but will be flown within the period.

I don't mind the registering part as it is a benefit for those of us who really care about this rather than someone else who doesn't work hard at it simply being auto enrolled.

would be interesting to see what other airlines do this???

But will be curious to see if anyone is successful in getting Tempe to retro some flights that happened during the period? I do understand why they are doing it the way they are(although don't like it) they want to measure if it spurs new business

USPhilly Apr 20, 2010 6:19 am

Originally Posted by mybagfits (Post 13806231)
I do understand why they are doing it the way they are(although don't like it) they want to measure if it spurs new business

Not just to measure if it generates new business but simply to cause people to book more flights. I don't like because of the travel I have already booked but why should they give a bonus if you're already flying them. The idea is to generate more passengers.

tommyleo Apr 20, 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13807271)
Not just to measure if it generates new business but simply to cause people to book more flights. I don't like because of the travel I have already booked but why should they give a bonus if you're already flying them. The idea is to generate more passengers.

True, but US should also reward those who were good enough to already book flights during the promo period. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year, when many of airlines were offering DEQM, US was the only one that required you to register before you booked.

ACC2008 Apr 20, 2010 6:38 am

postings?

Anyone seen these miles posted yet to their accounts after travel is complete?

USPhilly Apr 20, 2010 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13807309)
True, but US should also reward those who were good enough to already book flights during the promo period. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year, when many of airlines were offering DEQM, US was the only one that required you to register before you booked.

You're absolutely right. I debated writing that because I agree with you but at the same time understand that US is trying to get more people to book flights.

Tadich Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13807309)

I had all three of my flights (transcons) for this period booked before they announced the program. I figure to finish at Plat for the year, but this would have had me knocking on the door to CP. :(

ejh25 Apr 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tadich (Post 13808562)
I had all three of my flights (transcons) for this period booked before they announced the program. I figure to finish at Plat for the year, but this would have had me knocking on the door to CP. :(

I had three bookings made in this period prior to registration and almost a fourth but I was able to get that cancelled and rebooked after signing up. One thing to note is that last weekend I was flying on an itinerary booked a couple of months ago and I had an agent make a routing change for me at check-in. The re-routed flight segment qualified for double PQM :) I was shocked to see it pop up in my account today.

tommyleo Apr 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25 (Post 13812654)
I had three bookings made in this period prior to registration and almost a fourth but I was able to get that cancelled and rebooked after signing up. One thing to note is that last weekend I was flying on an itinerary booked a couple of months ago and I had an agent make a routing change for me at check-in. The re-routed flight segment qualified for double PQM :) I was shocked to see it pop up in my account today.

Did you have to pay extra? Or was it just a stand-by to an earlier flight?

ejh25 Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13813118)
Did you have to pay extra? Or was it just a stand-by to an earlier flight?

I didn't have to pay extra and it wasn't a standy. I commute most weekends ITH-BWI but I get rereouted to DCA either through an LGA or PHL connection. Any weather delay (even a 15 minute one and I call US Airways and try and get a re-reouting). Now I have even more reason to do so for my itineraries booked prior to the promo.

jredknapp11 Apr 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Dividend Miles Multiplier.... with the Double Miles being in effect, is the double miles then further doubled or tripled ?

ArizonaGuy Apr 21, 2010 3:01 am

Originally Posted by jredknapp11 (Post 13813535)
Dividend Miles Multiplier.... with the Double Miles being in effect, is the double miles then further doubled or tripled ?

If you elect to double or triple, it will be calculated on the base PQM's (and any preferred bonus) only.

Example:

CP flying one way PHX-LAS and paying for triple miles.
500 PQM Base miles + 500 CP Bonus miles = 1000 x Triple Multiplier = 3000 + 500 Double Preferred bonus = 3500 total.

Only 1000 of those are preferred qualifying, of course.

IzzyL Apr 21, 2010 6:36 am

Has anyone tried calling their preferred desk asking to be reticketed or ...in order to qualify for the promo on flights they have already booked?
Was thinking about giving it a shot today, but if other FF's have tried without success, I wouldn't bother.
Thanks

USPhilly Apr 21, 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by IzzyL (Post 13814747)
Has anyone tried calling their preferred desk asking to be reticketed or ...in order to qualify for the promo on flights they have already booked?

I called yesterday and tried to pay the $250 change fee (international flight) without actually changing anything to get the bonus. The woman at the CP desk told me the PNR would still be the same and so I wouldn't get the double miles since the ticketing date will not have changed.

I would imagine you could cancel your flight and then rebook and you would get the double miles, I just didn't want to do that because my flight is Saturday to LHR and with all of the volcano issues, if I canceled, it's likely I wouldn't get a seat again.

rcarteraz Apr 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Anyone have...

A good idead for a MR from WAS(Any of the 3)... I am new to this and want to make my first MR but still not quite understanding everything yet. Any help offered would be wonderful, espcially if I am able to make use of this offer! Thanks everyone!!

IADCAflyer Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by rcarteraz (Post 13816771)
A good idead for a MR from WAS(Any of the 3)... I am new to this and want to make my first MR but still not quite understanding everything yet. Any help offered would be wonderful, espcially if I am able to make use of this offer! Thanks everyone!!

BWI to the Left Coast can be had for about $250 to $270. If you fly via PHL, you can ensure yourself anywhere from 10000 to 11500 EQMs.

rcarteraz Apr 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13817008)
BWI to the Left Coast can be had for about $250 to $270. If you fly via PHL, you can ensure yourself anywhere from 10000 to 11500 EQMs.

How would you go about setting that up? Where should I make the stops? Thanks

IADCAflyer Apr 22, 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13785144)
Since you've already booked it, care to share?

Sorry I missed this one....

DCA-PHL-SJU-CLT-DCA

Big metal on the water legs, so maximized chances for upgrades.

miffSC Apr 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by IzzyL (Post 13814747)

Like USPhilly, I tried to do a change and redo a TATL flight I have beginning on June 2nd. Also told "no" would not qualify for double miles. I was also going to do so because the cost of the flight has dropped and the change fee wouldn't have mattered. The CR just sort of laughed when she noticed and then commented on the fact that I'd booked in early March. Oh well....
Makes me wonder how long I should wait before booking my September TATL flight that I need.... as well as a couple more coming up in October, November. Book early, book late?

tommyleo Apr 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC (Post 13824668)
Like USPhilly, I tried to do a change and redo a TATL flight I have beginning on June 2nd. Also told "no" would not qualify for double miles. I was also going to do so because the cost of the flight has dropped and the change fee wouldn't have mattered. The CR just sort of laughed when she noticed and then commented on the fact that I'd booked in early March. Oh well....

What if you canceled your ticket and bought another on the same flight? Don't you keep the unused value, to be used toward another ticket, minus a change fee when you book the new ticket?

Could that be the workaround?

USPhilly Apr 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13825053)
What if you canceled your ticket and bought another on the same flight? Don't you keep the unused value, to be used toward another ticket, minus a change fee when you book the new ticket?

Could that be the workaround?

It would be in my mind and that's exactly what I would have done had it not been for the volcano which has every PHL-LHR flight full until Tuesday.

scratchsd Apr 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters (Post 13766627)
So, because the T&C's say "cannot combined with any other offer," I would hope this promotion trumps the current US Airways Mastercard DBRDM/DBEQM promotion for new bookings, as this new promo is better and more inclusive, and you can't stack them for Triple RDMs and EQMs.

It sort of makes the mastercard promo obsolete....no?

If you're registered for both promos, and you book one of the routes eligible for the mastercard bonus with a normal mastercard, it seems possible that US would only give you Double RDM, and could withhold the Double EQM....

EDIT: Interestingly, the mastercard offer's T&C's does not say anything about not being eligible for combining with other offers.

Could one get TEQM??? (QRDM for CPs)

Did anyone get a chance to see if the MasterCard promotion could be used with the DEQM promotion?

aztimm Apr 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Just booked PHX-MAD. Not a fantastic price, but not horrible either. I was a bit paranoid about the volcano, so MAD should still be safe, if things go sour again. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

rcarteraz Apr 23, 2010 9:00 am

I was wondering if this flight I am looking would qualify for the Double miles. It's BWI-PHL-SEA-PHL-BWI for $280.80. Regular miles would be 4920 but with the double miles it would be 9840 which would make it comee out to 2.8 cpm IF the double miles applied. Did I calculate that right?

The thing is though ita shows it as this fare EXATNJ6Y but when looking at the fare rules it says travel on 16 May 10 but the last flight is on 16 May 10 at 931 am. So I am really confused.

tommyleo Apr 23, 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by rcarteraz (Post 13828816)
I was wondering if this flight I am looking would qualify for the Double miles. It's BWI-PHL-SEA-PHL-BWI for $280.80. Regular miles would be 4920 but with the double miles it would be 9840 which would make it comee out to 2.8 cpm IF the double miles applied. Did I calculate that right?

Nope, you short-changed yourself. BWI-PHL and PHL-BWI get 500 miles (the minimum for every segment on US). Then you double each of those. You should get 11,480 miles!

rcarteraz Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13828970)
Nope, you short-changed yourself. BWI-PHL and PHL-BWI get 500 miles (the minimum for every segment on US). Then you double each of those. You should get 11,480 miles!

Awesome that means it's 2.4 cpm then!?! That's pretty good right? And it works out on a weekend that I am off and do not have my son and a day in SEA would be nice. Never been and I have a relative there!

IADCAflyer Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

If he's not preferred, he doesn't get a min segment bonus. Actual miles only....

rcarteraz Apr 23, 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13829004)
If he's not preferred, he doesn't get a min segment bonus. Actual miles only....

Darn! Oh well, still nice!

tommyleo Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE (Post 13829004)

Dang. My bad. I forgot that US doesn't give the 500-minimum to non-Preferreds anymore.

moonquake Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008 (Post 13807361)
Anyone seen these miles posted yet to their accounts after travel is complete?

It took 2 business days after the trip for both types of miles to show up in the account.

naps8906 Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm

I saw this question being asked, but didn't see the answer.
I see some cheap prices where us is used to fly to west coast but flying back is on CO/UA. Do the flight back also counts as double if I use US FF#.
What about entire trip on CO/UA?

r.brown Apr 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by naps8906 (Post 13854668)
I saw this question being asked, but didn't see the answer.
I see some cheap prices where us is used to fly to west coast but flying back is on CO/UA. Do the flight back also counts as double if I use US FF#.
What about entire trip on CO/UA?

US metal only. My UA flights last week did not earn me double miles. It was a mix of US/UA segments, and only the US segment gave me double.

bwiadca Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens (Post 13786267)
I almost booked, but chickened out DCA-PHL-ZRH-PHL-DCA for 450 A/I R/t. Spending 750ish (Flight plus 2 nights hotel and food) for a MR was pushing it haha.

Still an amazing deal for europe.

What dates? I want to go to Zurich. The cheapest flights that I saw for weekends in May were around $650 ai.

EileenSRN Apr 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13829951)
Dang. My bad. I forgot that US doesn't give the 500-minimum to non-Preferreds anymore.

I lost out on last year's race to preferred by 87 miles because my CP hubby was doing the counting. Didin't catch it till it was too late.
Eileen

GoodOmens Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 13854729)
What dates? I want to go to Zurich. The cheapest flights that I saw for weekends in May were around $650 ai.

Last weekend - so you missed it.

miffSC Apr 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Update

Originally Posted by USPhilly (Post 13825219)
It would be in my mind and that's exactly what I would have done had it not been for the volcano which has every PHL-LHR flight full until Tuesday.

Ended up working on a refund for these three PNR's because of the lower cost - ended up with a $300, a $200, and an $87 future travel vouchers. I'm happy with that. Maintained F on the west to east legs - none of the seats seemed to change. I think one might have a seat problem with a full cancellation/rebook - too dodgy.

My CSR really went above and beyond doing all of this while dealing with computer shutdowns and inconsistencies in website pricing as opposed to what she was initially able to bring up on her system - she perservered! Mailed an AB cert for her.

Now if the DEQM angels would just come in to play..... ;) (not holding my breath though!)

naps8906 Apr 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown (Post 13854700)
US metal only. My UA flights last week did not earn me double miles. It was a mix of US/UA segments, and only the US segment gave me double.

Thx for that info. I guess i have to be careful.

IADCAflyer Apr 30, 2010 6:37 am

can someone confirm that the miles that have been posting have been from the JS promotion? My trip from Wednesday posted, but the double miles did not post.