Surprise, I am Silver!

Old Apr 9, 10, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Surprise, I am Silver!

We flew 24000 miles last year credited to US but all other miles were from promos. We both have similar mileage totals but I just noticed I am silver and my husband isn't. Is it because I have the US Mastercard? If so, if I add him to the Mastercard, will he become silver too? He can't get a credit card in the USA as he has no SSN.
Old Apr 9, 10, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum
Most likely it's because you flew during a promotional period and he didn't. there was a Race To Preferred toward the end of last year. If you can't tell, you could always call US to question.
Old Apr 10, 10, 1:26 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
If you flew together that will make him eligible for upgrade in the US at the same time.
The main advantage is baggage fees on UA and other *A partners.
A call to DM is the best option.
Old Apr 10, 10, 6:32 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
If you spend over a certain amount on your card, (25,000 I think?) you should have received 10,000 pqm's.
Old Apr 13, 10, 1:21 am

Programs: US *G
yes, for both usair visa and mastercards, once you have reached a spending (and paid) amount of $25,000 in the calendar year, you recieve 10k preferred qualifying miles. I would assume that adding a secondary name to the card will not prompt them to give you 20k miles (feel free to laugh, it struck me as kind of funny to think of something like that happening...). However, if having two names on the card would allow you to split those 10k miles between both names, then you could each obtain silver. If not, at 24k miles I'd just buy up to silver for your husband anyway. The $$ you save on baggage fees on usair as well as united (and i suppose other star alliance carriers) is worth the buy up fee if you travel 20k miles a year!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: