Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News Alert: April 2010 US Airways/United‏ Merger Speculation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by USFreak
As long as Parker and company aren't running the new airline, this may not be bad.....
David Faber on NBC Nightly News just speculated that Parker would likely run the merged airline
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
To US:
Please finish one merger before starting another one. It's been 5+ years and you still have East/West divisions all over the place.
Time for a Central division.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by squatch
David Faber on NBC Nightly News just speculated that Parker would likely run the merged airline
Yikes!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by PHL
Also, this is an uninformed quote from the NYTimes link:
"or its part, US Airways has hubs in Las Vegas, Phoenix and extensive operations in the Washington area."

What "extensive" operations in the DC area is this writer referring to? The Shuttle??! Or does he consider CLT and PHL as part of the greater DC area?
There are close to 200 flights a day out of DC. Not an insignificant number, and a number that approaches the size of the PHX operation.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I asked someone in Tempe if they had heard this. Apparently, an email went around to management today stating that they would be hearing rumors of a merger. The official response is thus "no comment" and employees should focus on running a great airline.

To me, that means its in the works.

I welcome it - it would be a killer network. As with all mergers, it comes down to how it is implemented. Perhaps botching one merger teaches you A LOT of lessons for how to do your next merger. Let's hope.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold; US TIB; Hyatt Diamond
If this goes through you can kiss your DM award chard goodbye. By time the merger closes you'll see a new chart that exactly matches what UA & CO have standardized on.

I'll be looking for every opportunity to burn miles before that date.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:42 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
To US:
Please finish one merger before starting another one. It's been 5+ years and you still have East/West divisions all over the place.
This is the main reason I don't think this will come to pass. The seniority issues with integrating UA's staff will be enormous. If it does happen, I wouldn't give the merged company more than 5 years before it goes belly up, based on bitter, bickering employees and bad service.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
I can honeslty say that if US/UA merge and US managment takes over the airline, I am gone. Straight to AA and oneworld. I won't even flinch. US is a disgraceful airline and while UA is not perfect, it would be a joke being run by Parker and company. The question is would AA take a UA GS and make him an EXP PLT?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by bwicoplat
The question is would AA take a UA GS and make him an EXP PLT?
What about 1Ks? We want to leave too.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I can honeslty say that if US/UA merge and US managment takes over the airline, I am gone. Straight to AA and oneworld. I won't even flinch. US is a disgraceful airline and while UA is not perfect, it would be a joke being run by Parker and company. The question is would AA take a UA GS and make him an EXP PLT?
Let’s hope that US and United don't follow the example set at Delta and NorthWORST. In that case, the CEO of NorthWORST brought the baggage of his inferior airline with him to the once respected Delta Airlines. I never thought that the CEO of the underdog airline would rule the roost at Delta.

My sense is that there's a much higher level of sophistication at all levels at United, as compared to US. I can only hope that the dominant player in the merged US/United will be United.

For those of you thinking of defecting to American Airlines, you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find at AA.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Originally Posted by RedEyeDelight
What about 1Ks? We want to leave too.
+111

I can see a bunch of UA elites moving over to AA, if the merger happens. I know that I'll be asking for a status match if it happens!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:13 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Going To Take More Than That...

Originally Posted by USFreak
As long as Parker and company aren't running the new airline, this may not be bad.....
There would have to be a "sea change" in corporate culture. US Airways is currently incapable of providing any level of decent customer service.

I can ONLY pray that this deals falls though so that UA & CO can get back to business. It took me almost a year to detoxic after I stopped flying US Air.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Two key questions from my side:

1) What has changed that would compel DOJ to allow the merger over antitrust concerns this time?

2) What would happen to CLT (esp in relation to IAD)?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Excellent!

Now Doug can ruin another airline.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by stealthnc
Two key questions from my side:

1) What has changed that would compel DOJ to allow the merger over antitrust concerns this time?
If anything, it would be worse. It was the concentration in the Washington market that the DOJ objected to last time and that has only gotten moreso since then.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.