Wiki Posts
Search

Monetizing BPs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Monetizing BPs?

Just checked in the oldest child to return to college from spring break and the BPs are commercialized with ads for books, outdoor gear and destination specific ads - it's been about 3 weeks since my last flight - how new is this?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I started noticing the new format about the same time - 2-3 weeks ago. I know that the printing process and document layout has changed but honestly can't say I've even noticed what's below the detach-here dotted line other than the big text with my seat number. I thought it had weather and other destination info - are they printing ads now?

I seem to recall an announcement that this was coming, and that there was a way to turn it off (which maybe I already did)
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
I noticed it when I was checking in for my 3/13 flight to MUC. However, when checking in on 3/7 for my DFW flight on 3/8 the ads weren't there.

Is there a way to permanently turn it off? I only found on the checkin page where you can remove it from that page only for printing. If there is a way to permanently remove them I would love to hear about it!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Are we really surprised about online ad's on the BP's - courtesy of the airline that even has ads on the tray tables?

Haven't seen this on US yet, but most carriers, you can check a box (though way on the bottom) to print the BP without the ads. My guess is there is no way to turn it off permanently - if there was, US woudn't be able to make nearly as much $$ off of it.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
FWIW, AA does this and I actually like what they put on there. The ads are relevant to the destination, there is connecting terminal maps on connecting bp's, the weather info is nice to have etc. I have no problem with the ads, at least how AA has done them.

Sean
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I just flew on Continental and they also put ads and other, I am sure, paid placement items on the online boarding passes. I am all in favor of anyway that the airlines can do to make more money.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I noticed the change last week as well. I have no problem with the ads as long as it prints on the same page and doesn't waste any more paper. I'd much rather see US bring in money with ads on a boarding pass than to bring on yet another fee.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Delta has had ads on their BPs since at least fall 2008. I don't think it is a very big deal at all.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
With both the US and CO online BPs there is an option at the bottom of the page to print without the extra info.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Apparently my nowmal ad-blocking software for my machine/browser is doing the trick. I checked again today and I had weather and some associated info, but not much in terms of ads other than a couple of "click here for tickets" links.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
Delta has had ads on their BPs since at least fall 2008. I don't think it is a very big deal at all.
there is a link on delta boarding pass to print the document without all of the completely useless garbage
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mudfish
I noticed the change last week as well. I have no problem with the ads as long as it prints on the same page and doesn't waste any more paper. I'd much rather see US bring in money with ads on a boarding pass than to bring on yet another fee.
like ad revenue would stop them from adding fees...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by squatch
there is a link on delta boarding pass to print the document without all of the completely useless garbage
Yup. Sometimes I print it with, sometimes without. It doesn't really bother me.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:32 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I did not know that any airlines were doing this until I read this thread--I guess ....... is really pretty good at what it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.