FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Domestic Mainline Cashless April 2, 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1065015-domestic-mainline-cashless-april-2-2010-a.html)

flight62 Mar 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Domestic Mainline Cashless April 2, 2010

Starting April 2, 2010, US Airways will go cashless on all domestic mainline flights. Everything bought on the a/c will require a visa/mc credit card or debit card. Please plan accordingly.

flight62 Mar 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Moderators, for a while...maybe until April 2, could we perhaps pin this so folks will see it at all times? I think this could help as people prepare for the switchover.

mht_flyer Mar 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Are they going to accept AMEX?

flight62 Mar 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mht_flyer (Post 13609646)
Are they going to accept AMEX?

"Wings" company newsletter said visa/mc, but the machine has been taking AMX.

mht_flyer Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks, good to know.

(I posted something about AMEX and now the border adverts are all about AMEX LOL :) )

BoeingBoy Mar 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Amex credit card is OK, as are Discover and Diners Club but debit cards have to be MC/Visa.

Jim

vtmike Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Anyone have any idea if Express is ever going to take cards? US has certainly lost out on some drink purchases from me because they don't take cards on Express.

vincentvan Mar 19, 2010 7:52 pm

"This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" as written on our currency apparently does dot apply in this case;)

flight62 Mar 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by vtmike (Post 13610571)
Anyone have any idea if Express is ever going to take cards? US has certainly lost out on some drink purchases from me because they don't take cards on Express.

Not now. Sorry.:(

tommyleo Mar 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by vincentvan (Post 13610765)
"This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" as written on our currency apparently does dot apply in this case;)

It's only a debt if you owe something. If US refuses to sell you an item on board for whatever reason, the purchase was never made; hence, there is no debt.

Well, that's my take anyway. :p

tommyleo Mar 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by flight62 (Post 13609523)
Starting April 2, 2010, US Airways will go cashless on all domestic mainline flights. Everything bought on the a/c will require a visa/mc credit card or debit card. Please plan accordingly.

Hmmm. Considering that US nets more money when CC's are NOT used, I wonder what motivated US to do this.

BoeingBoy Mar 19, 2010 8:48 pm

They claim that "On the contrary, customers who use credit cards have a higher revenue per transaction than those who use cash because they aren’t limited to what’s in their wallet. We expect that increase in spending to more than offset those customers who don’t make purchases or only carry cash."

Jim

flight62 Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I look forward to it . I hate carrying that extra cash on layovers and asking for change. Overnight there is no employee theft.

vincentvan Mar 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 13610933)
It's only a debt if you owe something. If US refuses to sell you an item on board for whatever reason, the purchase was never made; hence, there is no debt.

Well, that's my take anyway. :p

You're probably right, though it's a mildly scary thought with the increasing number of merchants who will not accept cash for purchases. Just my 2 cents (if you'll take it!!).

tommyleo Mar 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 13610962)
They claim that "On the contrary, customers who use credit cards have a higher revenue per transaction than those who use cash because they aren’t limited to what’s in their wallet. We expect that increase in spending to more than offset those customers who don’t make purchases or only carry cash."

I thought that US was already accepting CC's and now they are just no longer accepting cash. Or do I have that wrong?