Domestic Mainline Cashless April 2, 2010

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Does SJU-BOS count as "domestic?" I prefer to pay in cash because occasionally my credit card bills scare me, and I find debit even more annoying. I know that the phone line counts it as international, which is why I was on hold for two hours before.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
Does SJU-BOS count as "domestic?" I prefer to pay in cash because occasionally my credit card bills scare me, and I find debit even more annoying. I know that the phone line counts it as international, which is why I was on hold for two hours before.
SJU is considered domestic.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by aptboeses
Using credit cards make it easy to lose track of spending, whether on a plane or in a mall in some ways even easier, said Martin Lindstrom, author of BUYOLOGY: The Truth and Lies About Why We Buy. Most of the money spent on planes is in the form of micro-payments, he said. A blanket, a movie, a sandwich. It all adds up on the credit-card bill but not in our brains. We can quickly forget the money we spent on this-and-that, yet realize the full consequences only when the bill arrives.

Makes me wonder why some restaurants are still cash-only (aside from the ability to hide income from the IRS, I suppose).
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:59 pm

I would guess (or hope) that a small part of the decision is that the company does not want the liability of something happening to an F/A once they leave the aircraft, carrying around large amounts of money until they get to a base they can deposit it at. I know if you land at one of our outstations, you are forced to bring any cash that goes from onboard purchases with you to your hotel and that made a lot of people nervous!
I know personally, I have spent many Hawaii layovers with $500+ in my bag and wasn't comfortable being held accountable for money that I had to hold onto for almost 3 days. Many crew members have had personal items stolen out of their hotel rooms, most likely by housekeeping or maintenance. It got to the point where I would lock my rollerboard with anything valuable I had, just to err on the side of caution, but there's nothing stopping someone from taking your entire bag.
There's also instances of flight crews being mugged on layovers and having to file police reports. In those cases, how could the company hold them accountable if it was a circumstance beyond their control?
As previously stated by others, it seems a large portion of the revenue increase will come from those employees that won't be able to steal cash any longer. It's a sad fact but certainly not just limited to US Airways, there's those employees at every airline. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit of lost revenue that in the end, hurts us all. Hopefully this is a change that will benefit customers and employees in the long run...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.