Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US First vs AirTran Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I have read all the time on flyertalk, that people like being addressed by their names in first. There were no pre-flght drinks offered in Charlotte, or MCO. My AirTran flights from MCO we did have pre-flight drinks. On the whole I liked my expereince with US, however they need to work an being equil to CO and United.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
There were no pre-flght drinks offered in Charlotte, or MCO. My AirTran flights from MCO we did have pre-flight drinks.
I don't think pre-departure alcoholic drinks are served on US anywhere in Florida - something to do with not having a state liquor license or something. Not that that should be the customer's problem, and non-alcoholic beverages should still be served absent unusual circumstances.

Jim
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by masonuc
AirTran has wifi on all flights, does it not? End of story for me. Wifi makes AirTran the best FC/BC out there, even if there is a charge.
Yes. Despite being a very regular US flyer, I am reading this thread from 30,000 feet in an Airtran business class seat, enjoying an adult beverage and listening to CNN on XM radio. The business class seat was 100 bucks less each way than the coach seat (with no available upgrades left) on US, so it was sort of a no-brainer...!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I don't know about MCO but US cannot serve alcoholic beverages at TPA when the aircraft is on the ground.

Just curious ... why is this?

Last edited by DarkHelmetII; Mar 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
Just curious ... why is this?
Some kind of liquor licensing law. Not sure if it's just US or all airlines though.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Some kind of liquor licensing law. Not sure if it's just US or all airlines though.
In FLL, DL served pre-departure alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) beverages when I departed on Friday, March 12 on an 11:00 am flight, so it's either select FL cities or just a US-FL licensing issue.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Starwood Platinum
Airtran Business Class is Better than US

I fly AirTran fairly regularly. I find their business class to be superior for a number of reasons:

1. Upgrade Availability. I fly PHL-ATL and PHL-FLL/MCO/PBI fairly frequently. On PHL-ATL at a minimum, I never have trouble upgrading.

2. Pre-boarding. AirTran is very good about pre-boarding the business class cabin. I rarely have to fight my way to the front of a crowd to get on the plane and get my bag up above me in the front of the bus.

3. Cleanliness. The AirTran planes are newer and the seats are generally quite a bit cleaner. Nothing grosser than putting your laptop in the seatback pocket and finding that there are napkins from the last 48 hours of flights stuffed in there.

4. Upgrade prices. You can get an east coast upgrade for $49 - hardly a budget buster. I often buy one when flying home on Friday afternoons instead of paying the change fee to move flights. It is cheaper to upgrade than to change.

There are other reasons, too (wireless Internet, happier flight crews, better pricing, etc.), but the AirTran product is definitely a better product. I wish they would start a mini-hub at PHL the way Southwest has.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Vetrue, however US does offer upgrades from $50, for much the same product. Plus, you get star alliance earning programs.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up I just did ,Try US Silver

I paid to try US Silver for 90 days. At $215 it was cheaper than the one way upgrade for MCO-PHX-LAS. The RT flight will be enough miles to make the 7,500 miles needed to finalize the card. What a deal, for unlimited upgraeds etc.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I paid to try US Silver for 90 days. At $215 it was cheaper than the one way upgrade for MCO-PHX-LAS. The RT flight will be enough miles to make the 7,500 miles needed to finalize the card.
Last I checked, MCO-PHX-LAS was only about 2300 miles each way...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit

I used an internet based program and that is what it came out as. We do get a 500 mile min correct?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dtremit
According to MileCalc it's 4,698 RT not counting the DEQM bonus as I don't think that counts when trying to qualify for the race to preferred.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:54 am
Original Poster

This past trip to MCO-PHX was really nice. The US employees do seem their Perferred passengers well. I enjoyed trying the US Airways Club and service in both classes was very good. For those of us based in MCO, US is a good choice overall. In the future I think most, if not all my trips will be on US or Star Alliance.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

More Miles than I thought!!

Originally Posted by USPhilly
According to MileCalc it's 4,698 RT not counting the DEQM bonus as I don't think that counts when trying to qualify for the race to preferred.

With the Double Preferred miles promotion, I have 5 flights and 7396 Preferred miles. What a great promotion, I only need 204 miles to secure silver for the rest of the year! Plus, my (K) Premium Economy ticket on Virgin Atlantic earnes 125% LHR-JFK.

I guess I should go for the 50,000+ miles, for the more reasonable Buy up to Preferred rates. I could end the year at Chairman's. The flights MCO-Western Canada area reasonable cost wise and would get me a great amount of miles. US Airways has been a nice airline to me, all of this plus a free club membership for three months. If only United's Red Carpet clubs were not so restrictive (MCO only United travel).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
There's some weird Alcoholic Beverage Commission rule at MCO-- not sure if it is county or state--- they can't serve pre-flight cocktails there. They used to, maybe 3-4 years ago; not entirely sure when they stopped and TBH occasionally they slip up and "forget" but when I've forgotten where I am, and asked for a drink, I'm always gently reminded that they can't serve on the ground in MCO.
Not true. Other airlines serve pre-departure drinks. I can think of at least 3.

More likely USAir is too cheap to buy a liquor license.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.