Wiki Posts
Search

Casual elite at PHL?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Casual elite at PHL?

Just went through security at PHL. Approached the B terminal portal and the line in the "expert traveler" black lane was approaching post-9/11 proportions. Interestingly the "casual" and "family" green lane was empty. Security was sending everyone to the black lane unless there were small children traveling with the party, in which case they were sent to the green lane. One guy with his wife and two small kids had an almost guilty look on his face as he bypassed 20+min of wait time by heading right to the front of the green line.

This is now the second time I have seen this in the AM in recent days.

What is going on here?

FWIW - today I walked over to the C terminal entrance which only had about 15 people waiting in line.

...to quote Syndrome from the Incredibles -2004

"Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super-- [chuckles evilly] --no one will be."
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
It seems TSA in PHL have completely disregarded any meaning to the signs.

There are random meanings, that constantly change with each shift and crew. I have seen them change the meaning of the lines while in them.

Once the black line was packed and the green guy was empty, I tried to lane jump and was quickly thwarted by the "Taking Scissors Away" crew. The guy checking was even laughing at them. Moments later, they reopened this line and the same guy checked me out.

I avoid B at all times as C is almost always faster.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I went through C on Monday and they were randomly throwing people in the black lane, it was completely full. I'm so sick of this... I wish they would return to elite only lanes.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The screening lines at B & C can be an absolute mess at times and there is generally no logic to how different pax get sent to the queues. Oddly, they've added an elite line at the new D/E screening area with separate elite lane signage. They actually seem to use it when the place gets crowded and it has made a diffence for me - a huge change from when the area first opened (I avoided it altogether).
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
That is very similar to SEA in the AM. Last time I flew out of there, the Black line was packed. A family of 4 w/ 2 strollers came by 10-15 mins while I was in line, and went green and were thru 10 mins before me. I thought it was way hilarious.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I went through PHL on Friday night last week. My flight was leaving out of A but I got dropped off at B, which was fine with me because of the shops in the B/C terminal. ( I had a few hours to spend before my flight).
Anyway, I took one look at the line stretching out over the B walkway and the TSA was shouting the line ends down the hall!!!
I tried to to say I was flying first, had a DM card, was preferred, and nothing worked. I turned around went back down stairs and walked to the A terminal and went through the line in 10 minutes. I know it was a hike to the other terminal, but I was leaving out of A anyway and there was no way I wanted to stand in that crazy line in B!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:52 am

i've seen the crazy B line upon return of trips. haven't been stuck in it, but if I do, I'd walk to any other terminal needed to avoid that line. you can even take the employee shuttle bus if don't want to walk. they should fix the TSA situation and get it consistent so frequent travelers know how to get through faster.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
If you use PHL regularly, you probably know that the best policy is to be flexible and just use the line (and terminal) with the shortest lines. Sometimes B is a mess and C is fine, and you can look across the walkway to see that. D-E has the new consolidated security, and many times (esp. just post-9/11) I went through security at F and took the bus. But with E security no longer isolated, you can go through any terminal security to get to your gates.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: USAirways, United, Delta, Continental
Actually the best decision is to avoid PHL altogether. Not only is it difficult to get into the airport, you also are in takeoff queue forever.

I'm sure some of my sentiment is due to the huge loss of flights at my home airport (PIT), but PHL has become way too overloaded.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
I use Philadelphia's B Terminal every week and I agree that it is one of the most ridiculous thing. I complained several times, but I guess it will take more of us. I, too, when I see these lines at B, I go to C which is always better.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by rharb
Actually the best decision is to avoid PHL altogether. Not only is it difficult to get into the airport, you also are in takeoff queue forever.

I'm sure some of my sentiment is due to the huge loss of flights at my home airport (PIT), but PHL has become way too overloaded.
Oh, how I wish it were that easy. I used to routinely fly at "rush hour" on Monday morning and remember the announcements like "Sorry for the delay folks, there are at least 30 planes ahead of us. Please feel free to use your cellphones until we are ready to depart." Now that I'm flying Sunday nights, it's all good.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by rharb

I believe this may be outdated info. The recession has caused all airlines to cut flights. As a result, the takeoff queue at PHL has been quite good over the last year.

Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Originally Posted by aquarius
I use Philadelphia's B Terminal every week and I agree that it is one of the most ridiculous thing. I complained several times, but I guess it will take more of us. I, too, when I see these lines at B, I go to C which is always better.
IME B is the worst of any airport I fly. The current location of the ID check podium practically guarantees a bottleneck and subsequent mixing of the lanes, (assuming they even bother to maintain the lanes).

I saw an unfortunate guy get pulled out of line and lectured by TSA because he had the temerity to close one of the fabric barriers that was left open thus allowing all passengers to cut to the front of the expert line. All the elites were funneled to the expert line and all non elites and families were sent to green. Once you did the Disney walk the lines merged as opposed to having green do one more turn as it was laid out. There were 30 - 40 Elites in line and the TSA agent went out of her way to make them wait while every green line PAX was seen first. So the guy says, "I think this was left open by mistake" and closes it. The ID checker acted as if she had been stabbed and no less than three agents haul this guy to side and tell him not to mess with the lanes. So he gets to the back of the line. One guess as to how quickly that line moved as opposed to green after that....
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Can anyone confirm?
I don't think its as bad as it was, but I still try to take an earlier flight. Once Southwest starts its expanded PHL service in a few months it will probably get worse.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
TSA is out of control. A bunch of idiots & morons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.