Of Crew Power Trips and egalitarianism (US Airways purser)

Old Mar 8, 10, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tahitigirl View Post
It's pretty easy ie, the f/a who was sitting at the front door on the right side of the a/c or the f/a who was sitting at the door in front of row 23. The company can figure out exactly which f/a is working which position. I will not give out my name due to the fact that I've had a strange man track me down once before. I've only had one pax ever ask me for my name and told him I would not give him my name but I did write down my employee number for him.
F/A safety is a real issue. There are more than a few stories of stalking and worse. It's a fine line between safety and customer satisfaction. We live in a world where some are at least 6 to 7 fries short of a Happy Meal.

This does not absolve US from enforcing standards of conduct and professionalism and as tahitigirl points out it's not all that tough to figure out who worked where and identification of the offending party.

Another point to ponder is having been on here for a bit it's become clear that some would complain that the water was "To Wet" if it would get them a voucher.

All of these varibles make it very difficult to provide fair & consistent complaint process especially if you're trying to automate as much of it as possible like US. The plus side is the response time is pretty darn good. The trade off is that in the effort to be prompt/automated oft times the response is off point and serves to anger rather than placate an upset customer.
Old Mar 9, 10, 10:43 pm

If you had unprofessional behavior by a FA, by all means send a letter into Hector Adler. It makes those FAs who do a great job get a bum rap from those who hate their jobs.

If it was a 737-400, you were flying on East metal.
Old Mar 10, 10, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I watched the FA's boot some lady off the plane on Saturday night on the CLT - SFO flight. I don't know what happened between the ticket counter and row 3, or from row 3 to where ever she sat. All I saw was this lady struggling to get down the aisle with food and bags in tow. The male FA said "mam, I'm here to help you I really am" and the pax muttered something and kept moving. There is no way the FA could have heard what she said because I was right next to her when she said it. After everyone boarded the male FA called to the FA in the back of the plane and asked "is she still giving you problems" then said "she needs to go" and called up to the ticket counter. A few minutes later a female US employee entered the plane and spoke w/ the male FA. The female ticket counter rep was of the same race as the PAX in question so I felt a little better about what was about to happen for some reason. The ticket counter lady said that the PAX was mad b/c she was forced to consolidate three bags into two before boarding and was pissed about having to do so. The male FA said that when she boarded she had three bags and an umbrella...I can't vouch for that, but I also don't recall her having that much stuff. So a few of them went back to get her, she left calmly, door closed, plane takes off.

I have no idea what happened at all, but I also did not see or hear any ruckus at all. Might have been legit, might have been a power trip. For me, it was a power trip though. The plane was maybe 75% full so there was no shortage of bin space.

Just another day in the skies.
Old Mar 10, 10, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Dingo,

Not by way of excuse but for reasons known only to the FAA they have inspectors watching US very closely regarding compliance.

I have a close friend who is a F/A and she has told me some really petty things the FAA has done to air crews in particular. Fines have been issued.

These things are happening across the industry. HP had what at best could be described as a strained relationship with DOT/FAA and now appears that they are subject to more intense scrutiny.

I'd love to hear from the F/A's who post here regarding the above observation/report.
Old Mar 10, 10, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jetsetter2Ord View Post
If you had unprofessional behavior by a FA, by all means send a letter into Hector Adler. It makes those FAs who do a great job get a bum rap from those who hate their jobs.

If it was a 737-400, you were flying on East metal.
And why does it matter if it was East, West or commuter, as long as the ticket says US, its US in the customers eyes
Old Mar 10, 10, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Gold Amb.
Gate agents and F/As have been very militant lately when it comes to carry-on baggage. I've seen this on DL, UA, and US. It all begins at the gates with scolding, nagging-like announcements. Then the F/As never shut up about it during the boarding process. All this scolding needs to stop.

The airlines have done this to themselves by charging ridiculous bag fees, causing everyone to cram as much carry on luggage on board as possible. Every flight I've taken on WN, who doesn't charge such fees, has had plenty of overhead space when boarding is complete even on full flights.
Old Mar 11, 10, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks Sparrow Hawk. I obviously didn't see the whole thing and I didn't see how much carry on stuff the lady had. From my very poor memory, she had some food, an umbrella (full size) and at least one bag. So I guess technically that counts as three items right there. If I'd felt confident about what was going on I frankly would have intervened on her behalf. In this case, I assumed that she had caused some problems up top and then again when she got back to her seat and that I missed all of it.

Believe it or not (for those of you that know me to be pretty hard core around here) my heart went out to her. This was the last flight of the day to SFO which meant she most likely wound up spending an unwanted night in Charlotte, and a Friday night at that which ruins her weekend. Who knows all of the circumstances and facts...she may have deserved that extra night in Charlotte.
Old Mar 11, 10, 7:37 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Apparently you are not alone

Please contact US about your experience.They need to know-otherwise the cannot attempt to remove these rotten apples.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-me-plane.html
Old Mar 11, 10, 8:33 am

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
do the math?

Originally Posted by dingo View Post
From my very poor memory, she had some food, an umbrella (full size) and at least one bag. So I guess technically that counts as three items right there.
It was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), that food for consumption during the flight (no matter how much) does NOT count towards your carry-on limit. Also, I seem to remember that items such as coats and umbrellas don't count either.

I also think it's a futile effort that you "consolidate" 3 bags into 2...as soon as your seated, you just "unconsolidate" your bags.
Old Mar 11, 10, 8:49 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I'll reiterate this point: today, pax blame gate agents and FAs for what is perceived as nilly-willy enforcement of myriad rules and regulations. It doesn't help that different carriers have different policies and that express carriers flying under the same name can have different rules than mainline. It all makes things very frustrating for, well, really everyone.

But, if that cannot be remedied in the short term, I'd strongly recommend that airlines be painfully HONEST with the customer.

For example, the GA could make a very clear announcement that US is strictly enforcing the carryon rule for pax's safety. If there are FAA inspectors that watch for this sort of thing, then what's the harm in telling the pax that this is a FAA rule and that FAA inspectors hold the airlines fully accountable for compliance?

From where I'm sitting, about 75% of the vast frustration and angst that pax have with airline travel these days all comes from lack of information. Pax aren't stupid, they just want the truth.
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:47 pm

I'd tend to agree with the last post. But on communication, I get it is the easiest path to say that something is so due to FAA rules and regs. Turning off 'anything with an on button' is one of those that is usually attributed to the FAA. As I learned on the Travel Commons podcast, however, this isn't accurate. Southwest apparently allows the use of noise cancelling headphones at any time...even during take off and landing. I can't help but think how nice that would be since that is usually right about the time the ads for the credit cards start blasting at max volume over the intercom!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: