A "miracle": PHL-LAX flight departs with 8 empty F seats

Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
A "miracle": PHL-LAX flight departs with 8 empty F seats

Considering how often we hear about how difficult it is to score an UG on PHL-LAX flights, amazingly here I am now sitting in F on an A321 (obviously) with just 7 other passengers.

The key is that I'm on US38, a recently added segment that departs at an odd time for a flight to LAX: 8:45P. Plus, it's a Wednesday.

Nice bonus: we were unexpectedly served meals, even though US's official policy is no meals on flights that depart after 8pm.

The plane has 97 pax, which is just 53% of capacity. My gf was one of the 8 F pax, but she opted out of Row 1 for Row 33 -- as in 33D, 33E, and 33F.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:11 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Considering how often we hear about how difficult it is to score an UG on PHL-LAX flights, amazingly here I am now sitting in F on an A321 (obviously) with just 7 other passengers.

The key is that I'm on US38, a recently added segment that departs at an odd time for a flight to LAX: 8:45P. Plus, it's a Wednesday.

Nice bonus: we were unexpectedly served meals, even though US's official policy is no meals on flights that depart after 8pm.

The plane has 97 pax, which is just 53% of capacity. My gf was one of the 8 F pax, but she opted out of Row 1 for Row 33 -- as in 33D, 33E, and 33F.
When you said meal, did you mean full dinner? I can't imagine US not serving anything in F on a transcon, even after 8PM.

LAX
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX
When you said meal, did you mean full dinner? I can't imagine US not serving anything in F on a transcon, even after 8PM.

LAX
Yes, the normal F dinner. BTW, US doesn't serve meals on the LAX-PHL red-eyes.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:57 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Yes, the normal F dinner. BTW, US doesn't serve meals on the LAX-PHL red-eyes.
Really?? I got a cold plate in F on a midcon departing around 1AM on CO.

LAX
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
Really?? I got a cold plate in F on a midcon departing around 1AM on CO.

LAX
What does that have to do with US not serving meals

You get the snack basket on flights departing after 8 PM which is fine by me because I always eat before the flight.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Took a 8:05p ATL-PHX, no meal. That really bl*ws.

HTSC
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
I never had a meal served after 8pm..that is unusual
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Took a 8:05p ATL-PHX, no meal. That really bl*ws.

HTSC
While I believe that US should have some type of cold plate/light snack after 8pm, studies show that most meals served at 8pm get thrown out. Most people have eaten before getting on the airplane.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cw082350
I never had a meal served after 8pm..that is unusual
Sample size of maybe 3 to 5 flights over the last 1-1.5 years, but I have received a meal in F on the 8:30PM CLT-DEN flight each time.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I assume they were selling upgrades at the gate...did anyone bite? I might have thought about it, especially with a meal.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Worst part is that I asked the GA's twice if there was a meal, and they both said YES emphatically. So I didn't get anything from the overpriced vendors. Ugh.

HTSC

Originally Posted by formeraa
While I believe that US should have some type of cold plate/light snack after 8pm, studies show that most meals served at 8pm get thrown out. Most people have eaten before getting on the airplane.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I assume they were selling upgrades at the gate...did anyone bite? I might have thought about it, especially with a meal.
We were running late and got to the gate after everyone had boarded, so we didn't see any offers to buy up at the gate. FlightStats.com was listing the flight as F7 (7 remaining seats) earlier that afternoon, but we actually left with 8 empty F seats -- so it doesn't look like there were many takers.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:52 pm

Interestingly, I just checked and tomorrow's same flight is showing 11 F seats open.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigErn
Interestingly, I just checked and tomorrow's same flight is showing 11 F seats open.
I hope US doesn't cut this segment. PHL-LAX prices are high enough these days. We need all the capacity we can get.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The OP stated it was a new flight that US added, I'm sure the open seats wont last long once the words gets out of the flight and the plane.

I hope US doesn't cut this segment. PHL-LAX prices are high enough these days. We need all the capacity we can get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.