Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US/DL LGA slot swap [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by ITRADE
I know this gets bantied about from time to time....how about DCA-LCY? Find 2 or 3 A318s and get a beyond perimeter exemption.

Can a lightly loaded A318 (full fuel, but 35 C class seats) make it DCA-LCY without refueling?
Customs, US doesn't have A318's, the A318 doesn't have the range, UA would throw a fit, etc.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Customs
LCY-JFK has a technical stop in SNN where everybody preclears customs. Same as for flights from YYZ (customs preclear).

US doesn't have A318's
For now, certainly true.

the A318 doesn't have the range
BA flies JFK-LCY nonstop using a 318...Granted its about 180 miles further, but is JFK-LCY really that close to the cusp such that DCA-LCY is not possible?

UA would throw a fit, etc.
Why would UA care what US does at DCA?
Old May 31, 2011, 1:11 pm

[QUOTE=ITRADE;16478889]

I did not know that about SNN and JFK-LCY. Interesting.

If you go to Airbus' website, they have a cool little map that shows the range of their planes from any given point. The A318 barely has the range of DCA-LCY so I imagine in practice it just coudn't do it on a regular basis. Do the flights have to stop in SNN both ways? SNN is more within the range (though still pusing it).

Though UA can't really do anything about it, I've read multiple articles noting that they have the most to lose from more DCA perimiter exceptions.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Why would UA care what US does at DCA?
Same reason that UA has lobbied so hard against the recently proposed exemptions: IAD.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
What product would US use in the A318? I don't think they could fit enough Envoy Suites to make it profitable. BA uses a 2x2 cabin layout with a very nice hard product.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb
Old May 31, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by neotope
What product would US use in the A318? I don't think they could fit enough Envoy Suites to make it profitable. BA uses a 2x2 cabin layout with a very nice hard product.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb
Here's an image of the BA A318 product:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YFDy5j0P3d...400/BA001B.jpg

Now as to range, the range is close. My question for the pilots would relate to the max range for an A318 in an executive configuration - noting that baggage will be minimal to non-existent and that with 32 C class seats, there is not going to be a lot of weight in seats or in passengers.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the weight savings/range that one would expect with, say, 50 bags, 32 C class seats and 32 passengers? Obviously full fuel is required (perhaps added fuel in a bladder).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I know this gets bantied about from time to time....how about DCA-LCY? Find 2 or 3 A318s and get a beyond perimeter exemption.
a specialized route like this (or LH's services to NYC from small airports or SQs all J flights) needs a big group of frequent fliers to buy the tickets and a reputation for good service to pick us passengers willing to take it for the service and pay top $....

Remember US drove off all of their FFers? Remember how they have the worst rep in the US?

They could never make this work, the bigger UA or DL might (but will not try) but not US...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by spin88
a specialized route like this (or LH's services to NYC from small airports or SQs all J flights) needs a big group of frequent fliers to buy the tickets and a reputation for good service to pick us passengers willing to take it for the service and pay top $....

Remember US drove off all of their FFers? Remember how they have the worst rep in the US?

They could never make this work, the bigger UA or DL might (but will not try) but not US...
Except that the Envoy Suites are getting outstanding reviews... Yes there are still rough spots with service but the new hard product is top-notch.

I don't think it will happen. But it's nice to dream. And that new J product really is aces.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:58 pm

What is the latest on the swap, is the deal going to happen or nto?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
JetBlue pushed for the slots at LGA to be auctioned off. Let's see what the DOT says.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The DOT just approved the revised slot deal proposed by US and DL. In theory, the DOJ could still say no, but that's very improbable. So it looks like US is going to grow at DCA, and DL is going to expand at LGA.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Yup. Details below:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....984&highlight=

Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) and US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today issued the following statement:

"Delta Air Lines and US Airways welcome the decision by the Department of Transportation to tentatively approve the proposed slot transaction at New York-LaGuardia and Washington-Reagan National airports. Upon final approval we intend to move forward with the plan, as conditioned by the department, which will enhance competition and allow the airlines to improve service, consumer choice, modernize facilities and create jobs at both airports."

On May 23, Delta and US Airways announced a new agreement to transfer takeoff and landing rights at New York's LaGuardia and Washington D.C.'s Reagan National airports, which will enable Delta and US Airways to expand service and increase competition at two of the nation's key cities, and provide the opportunity for additional access to LaGuardia and Reagan National for new entrants and airlines with a limited presence at the airports.

Under the agreement, Delta would acquire 132 slot pairs at LaGuardia from US Airways and US Airways would acquire from Delta 42 slot pairs at Reagan National and the rights to operate additional daily service to Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2015, and Delta would pay US Airways $66.5 million in cash. In addition, the airlines will divest 16 slot pairs at LaGuardia and eight slot pairs at Reagan National to airlines with limited or no service at those airports. The completion of the transaction is subject to certain closing conditions, including government and regulatory approvals. A slot pair is the authority to operate one takeoff and one landing.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Let's start back up the speculation as to the Death of US LGA routes and the birth of DCA routes.

I'll go first.

MDT-LGA - Dead - I loved that flight

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Yup. Details below:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....984&highlight=

Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) and US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today issued the following statement:

"Delta Air Lines and US Airways welcome the decision by the Department of Transportation to tentatively approve the proposed slot transaction at New York-LaGuardia and Washington-Reagan National airports. Upon final approval we intend to move forward with the plan, as conditioned by the department, which will enhance competition and allow the airlines to improve service, consumer choice, modernize facilities and create jobs at both airports."

On May 23, Delta and US Airways announced a new agreement to transfer takeoff and landing rights at New York's LaGuardia and Washington D.C.'s Reagan National airports, which will enable Delta and US Airways to expand service and increase competition at two of the nation's key cities, and provide the opportunity for additional access to LaGuardia and Reagan National for new entrants and airlines with a limited presence at the airports.

Under the agreement, Delta would acquire 132 slot pairs at LaGuardia from US Airways and US Airways would acquire from Delta 42 slot pairs at Reagan National and the rights to operate additional daily service to Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2015, and Delta would pay US Airways $66.5 million in cash. In addition, the airlines will divest 16 slot pairs at LaGuardia and eight slot pairs at Reagan National to airlines with limited or no service at those airports. The completion of the transaction is subject to certain closing conditions, including government and regulatory approvals. A slot pair is the authority to operate one takeoff and one landing.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Let's start back up the speculation as to the Death of US LGA routes and the birth of DCA routes.

I'll go first.

MDT-LGA - Dead - I loved that flight
US has already stated that they only plan to keep DCA, BOS, CLT, PHL, PIT (and ILM?) from LGA.

These are the routes they originally said they would serve from DCA:

Cincinnati, Des Moines, Grand Rapids, Madison, Montreal, Ottawa, Miami, Birminham, Islip, Ithaca, Little Rock, Myrtle Beach, Pensacola, Savannah, Tallahassee.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
US/DL slot swap at DCA finallly !

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...125979068.html

Great news for us at DCA...

We'll move to the south pier, next to CO
We'll ditch the moribund RCC at the center pier for the historic PC in the south pier
We'll get new *A destinations via US (like ISP!)

These are changes I like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.