Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fly first/envoy to Aruba or Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 9:56 pm

Some Caribbean - US flights (i.e., your return) have no meal service, even on 4+ hour flights. Reason is they can't refrigerate food for the trip back nor do they have catering contracts on some islands (SXM is one). There are also no BOB sandwiches for sale on said flights. Leads to some disappointment, I've found, as this "exception" is not stated anywhere on the web site.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:05 am

In general, how hard are upgrades for the carribean?

Part of me says they are easier since less business travelers and less people with status.

Then, part of me says more difficult since more FC awards and mileage upgrades as people treat themselves for their vacation. Plus, when people upgrade with miles or do the FC award, there will be usually 2+ people on the ITIN.

I'm gold and am going to either PUJ or NAS and think I have a good short at the upgraded and should not waste the miles.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Do not expect anything special

Flew SJU to CLT yesterday on the 767. Scheduled departure 2:45. Actual departure 4:00, (inbound delay due to crew availability in CLT and then unspecified ground delay in SJU). 3.5 hour flight time.

Seated in F

This was the filthiest plane I have been on in recent memory. Envoy style seat did not fully recline - even the FA commented that it seemed broken. No IFE, (none expected)

PDB's were served, (well we did have an extra hour on the ground).

A "meal" was provided. This was a choice of a torpedo sized roll with two slices of ham and melted velveeta, (the "sandwich" actually did not fit on the plate), or a salt laden processed chicken salad and a ketchup style packet of Italian dressing. Both were inedible, (I had one my seatmate the other).

One packet of snack mix per pax - catered two packets short per the FA.

Glassware with the meal, plastic cups for re-fills.

There was absolutely nothing about this flight that qualified for FC service on any carrier, let alone US. Very, very disappointing for what I had hoped would be a nice treat on the last day of vacation.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
Here's a report on flt 920 yesterday from PHL-AUA.

It was a hybrid between the old and new F/C service. Pre-departure drink (not pre-mixed). Glassware during the flt, with two mini-bottles the first round, one thereafter. Breakfast was usual choice of omelet or cereal/fruit plate.

Snack basket was offered once, again a hybrid. Familiar chips and biscoffs, but new cookies, cheese crackers, healthy bar.

While a 757, no movie was offered, but Envoy seating was terrific. we had an old-time USAirways East flight attendant who was outstanding. I gave her two of the little certificates.

Overall, was quite pleased.
Seems weird to have that great AVOD system in the Envoy seats and yet nobody flips the switch to turn it on...I think that would bug me...I don't like to see what I am missing.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:45 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
There is no Envoy service to the islands or Anchorage. All the East 757's have the Envoy seats so they show it as Envoy. You will get the standard domestic US First Class service.

There are no movies (except Hawaii and Anchorage out of PHL) on the island flights on the 757/767/330's because we carry too many other airplanes that have no IFE and this would be inconsistent.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Anybody flown in first on the A330-200 from PHL-SJU lately? I'm excited, because this is our first time with lie-flat seats, EVER. I've read that they still do not turn on the AVOD. I've also read that the food is horrible. So my excitement kind of ends at the great seat. Is this still accurate? Any new experiences? Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by wfdude
Anybody flown in first on the A330-200 from PHL-SJU lately? I'm excited, because this is our first time with lie-flat seats, EVER. I've read that they still do not turn on the AVOD. I've also read that the food is horrible. So my excitement kind of ends at the great seat. Is this still accurate? Any new experiences? Thanks!
Nothing has changed about premium cabin Caribbean service since this thread began. The seats are awesome. Enjoy them for the quick 4 hours. IFE is still not available, although some report that they turn it on sometimes. Bring your own device. You can at least plug into the outlet at your seat. Meal service will be no different than you would get on a flight within the US.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by mileshound
In general, how hard are upgrades for the carribean?

Part of me says they are easier since less business travelers and less people with status.

Then, part of me says more difficult since more FC awards and mileage upgrades as people treat themselves for their vacation. Plus, when people upgrade with miles or do the FC award, there will be usually 2+ people on the ITIN.

I'm gold and am going to either PUJ or NAS and think I have a good short at the upgraded and should not waste the miles.
From my experience SJU is an easy upgrade (made it several times back when I was Gold on the A330, and several more seats were always available at check in), but AUA is a lot tougher. I still made those upgrades even with a companion on my itinerary, but just barely did so even as a Chairman. I guess since AUA is not exactly a budget vacation spot in the Caribbean more people buy FC seats.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by wfdude
Flew this route last year. I can confirm they did not turn on VOD. I even asked if they could. What really sucked though is that prior to take off it worked, but once in the air, it was just a black screen
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Do any U.S. carriers make a big deal about Caribbean travel in terms of premium cabins? Isn't it basically treated as domestic travel? Like flying to Canada?
AA serves a full meal on Caribbean flights over 90 minutes (domestic requires 2 hours for a full meal).

As for the VOD - they can't turn it on because US Airways has to pay a license fee to show programming and is too cheap to pay it for domestic and Caribbean flights.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA serves a full meal on Caribbean flights over 90 minutes (domestic requires 2 hours for a full meal).

As for the VOD - they can't turn it on because US Airways has to pay a license fee to show programming and is too cheap to pay it for domestic and Caribbean flights.
So the moral of the story is...after the merger you probably would be better off making sure you are on AA metal since AA will have video turned-on and a meal on anything over 90 minutes.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flight62
There is no Envoy service to the islands or Anchorage. All the East 757's have the Envoy seats so they show it as Envoy. You will get the standard domestic US First Class service.

There are no movies (except Hawaii and Anchorage out of PHL) on the island flights on the 757/767/330's because we carry too many other airplanes that have no IFE and this would be inconsistent.
Strange rationale for not activating the video....DL, UA, and AA have airplanes with and without inflight video but that doesn't stop them from activating the video on planes that do have it installed. If you fly an MD-80 on AA from SEA-DFW, you're not going to have video but if you fly a 737-800 that is video-equipped, they WILL turn it on.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: None
The real reason is as stated upthread - US only pays the license fee for TATL, HI, & ANC. Everything else has no IFE although once the Go-Go upgrade is complete there'll be some streaming IFE.

Jim
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I fly to SJU 5 times a year, and despite being a loyal US flyer, this is the one flight that I book on to Jet Blue. The fares are usually cheaper, and I have great experiences there. I pay for the "More" on each flight.

The seats are pretty nice, I get expedited through the crappy San Juan TSA, and I really enjoy it more than I have the US flights I used to take to SJU. I only miss the free drinks in F.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
UPDATE on PHL-SJU 11/16 and SJU-PHL 11/19

So my first experience in the Envoy cabin (even without the Envoy service) was wonderful. I actually had a couple of hours on each flight where I was able to lie flat and take a good nap.

As a matter of fact, they turned on the IFE on *both* flights! I was pleasantly surprised! Many were watching their TV screens -- movies, TV shows, etc. It's one reason I didn't get more sleep on each flight.

Also, I'm not sure what actual Envoy service is like on TATL flights, but the service on both of my flights, to and from SJU, was fantastic. The FAs were incredibly attentive, warm, and friendly, unlike a good portion of my FC experiences on mainland flights where sometimes service is almost non-existent.

The meals were actually pretty decent -- better than the meals that I get on a transcontinental flight like CLT-SFO or CLT-SEA. I read earlier in the thread or somewhere else that people had been offered some type of horrible chicken sandwich or another option before, but this time the pasta was quite good, and the chicken curry on the way back was good, as well.

Perhaps this was just good luck? Or perhaps they're improving their SJU service in preparation for the merger. For what it's worth, the merger was mentioned in length during the CC pitch on my flight to SJU.

Anyway, two incredibly good flights on A332 FC cabin to SJU! Hope it continues!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.