Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double bonus for purchased miles (Another round: Feb-March 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:02 pm

You should be able to get the bonus twice-- once when you buy, and once when you get gifted. So each account can receive a maximum bonus of 100K miles.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by derpelikan
you can only buy 50.000 miles + get 50.000 miles gifted.

so getting another 20K as a gift is not possible. at least i tried that before, and it said, the person has already been gifted 50K miles.

dp
Sorry everyone! I had in my head that the questions was to purchase another 20K outright because all that was needed was 220K. Of course it says 'gift' another 20K (and get 40).

That scenario of course you can't do.

So the only way to get 2x120K as cheap as possible is 4 transactions. Each of the 2 accounts buys 50K (gets 100K total), then each gifts the other 10K (getting in total 20K for the transasaction, and 120K into each account).

You will then have 4x$30 processing fees.

Actually i don't know what i was thinking in my reply
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1P
If a chairman is feeling generous and would be kind enough to nominate me for silver I could get the gift bonus and fly in F instead of C....

Please PM me.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I just wanted to confirm, you can earn the 100% bonus from purchasing miles and still earn the 100% bonus when someone gifts you miles, correct?

I'm looking to get 200k to buy 2 C tickets for friends going to Europe. I would like to buy the tickets from my CP account to keep the fees down and allow them to change their tickets if need be. ^

My friend was looking to buy 2 C tickets to Europe before I informed him about this deal. I think I just saved him $4,000 - $6,000 ^
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by XX38
If a chairman is feeling generous and would be kind enough to nominate me for silver I could get the gift bonus and fly in F instead of C....

Please PM me.

Thanks!
What flights are you planning?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yes

Originally Posted by uva185
I just wanted to confirm, you can earn the 100% bonus from purchasing miles and still earn the 100% bonus when someone gifts you miles, correct?

I'm looking to get 200k to buy 2 C tickets for friends going to Europe. I would like to buy the tickets from my CP account to keep the fees down and allow them to change their tickets if need be. ^

My friend was looking to buy 2 C tickets to Europe before I informed him about this deal. I think I just saved him $4,000 - $6,000 ^
i can confirm that.

you can get a gift of 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or if a silver gold above gifts them, it will be 62.5 K as a bonus)

and you can buy another 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or you are silver gold above, you will receive 62.5 as bonus)

so the maximum without status is 100K + 100K (gift + buy)
if a status member buys miles the maximum is 112500 x 2 = 225000 Miles.

i have done this, and another hint, if you have friends with status, use their account number and names, to get the 62500 bonus . status members can gift miles it seems multiple times. at least i have done it with the same account three times now.

dp
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
i can confirm that.

you can get a gift of 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or if a silver gold above gifts them, it will be 62.5 K as a bonus)

and you can buy another 50K miles which will be doubled to 100K (or you are silver gold above, you will receive 62.5 as bonus)

so the maximum without status is 100K + 100K (gift + buy)
if a status member buys miles the maximum is 112500 x 2 = 225000 Miles.

i have done this, and another hint, if you have friends with status, use their account number and names, to get the 62500 bonus . status members can gift miles it seems multiple times. at least i have done it with the same account three times now.
dp

I have silver status so are you saying you can buy miles for yourself and get the 100% bonus and also the 25% bonus?

Or would I need to find a friend that has status and do a gift to me to get the 25% bonus in my account?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I need some clarification please: I am a basic tier member in the dividend miles program. Can I be gifted from 2 other members and still get the 100% bonus miles for each gift or I get the 100% bonus only for one gift ?

For example my father and wife have seprate accounts so can they gift me the miles and I still get the 100% for both gifts or just for one gift only I get the 100% ?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by LH/LX
I need some clarification please: I am a basic tier member in the dividend miles program. Can I be gifted from 2 other members and still get the 100% bonus miles for each gift or I get the 100% bonus only for one gift ?

For example my father and wife have seprate accounts so can they gift me the miles and I still get the 100% for both gifts or just for one gift only I get the 100% ?
The rule is you can only receive the 50K bonus once per transaction type.

So you can BUY and get 50 bonus and then you can get GIFTED and get 50K bonus.

Anything else you are gifted will get the message that you have already received the bonus. Of course someone can gift you more, just you will only get the actual miles.

So the most anyone can end up with in one account for all bonuses will be 200K.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The rule is you can only receive the 50K bonus once per transaction type.

So you can BUY and get 50 bonus and then you can get GIFTED and get 50K bonus.

Anything else you are gifted will get the message that you have already received the bonus. Of course someone can gift you more, just you will only get the actual miles.

So the most anyone can end up with in one account for all bonuses will be 200K.
OK I got it. Thanks for that clear stating of facts.^
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid
What flights are you planning?
US-EUR
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:12 pm

Has anyone tried gifting the miles to someone to get the bonus than having him/her regift them back for no bonus, essentially turning 50K into 100K?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:29 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried gifting the miles to someone to get the bonus than having him/her regift them back for no bonus, essentially turning 50K into 100K?
When US talks about "gifting" they mean "buying miles for someone else". Giving someone miles from your account is called "sharing" in US-speak (and isn't currently attracting a special bonus AFAIK).
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
US-EUR
Then an xtra 12.5k miles wont help you. *A is 100/125k in F/C
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by IMH
When US talks about "gifting" they mean "buying miles for someone else". Giving someone miles from your account is called "sharing" in US-speak (and isn't currently attracting a special bonus AFAIK).
Same difference you can get gifted with a bonus and then share them back with no bonus... turning 50 into 100

Last edited by XX38; Feb 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.