Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double bonus for purchased miles (Another round: Feb-March 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I was still able to purchase miles with bonus 40 minutes ago and again 1 minute ago.^
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Question

HI All, can someone please confirm that a Preferred "buying" not gifting will get the 25% bonus as well? I have gone through the motions but it only showed in the lead up to entering the credit card the 100% bonus, when I gift it shows the 25% bonus.

Also, seems the buy option is now down, saying maintenance, hope it's not pulled already!

Any help appreciated....

The gifting part works great, but I'm the only preferred in the family :-(

So they are all 25% luckier now thanks to me
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
Will it be midnight (at some point in USA) or could it literally be ended in 20 minutes?
My guess is that the promo cuts off at midnight wherever points.com is headquartered (appears to be Ontario, Canada).
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:55 pm

Worked fine about 30 minutes ago both buy and gift, in the UK so was worried it might not work.

Hope it works fine for you guys again
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Originally Posted by babs
Worked fine about 30 minutes ago both buy and gift, in the UK so was worried it might not work.

Hope it works fine for you guys again
Ok, that's a relief, also UK here, going to step away and come back and hopefully it'll be back up.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by KL803
Strange: I waited exactly 10 days to purchase the miles, all went through (CC billed, confirmation # received) but no e-mail and no miles ! So I called, and I was told, that I bought the miles too early, they declined the CC-transaction. But they received the money - just wouldn't buy miles. So I went to a refund process - very complicated. Mick
Hi KL803

This thread is now veeerrry long but it has been discussed before that the 10 days is actually 11 days. you need to wait a full 10 days before anything can be done - so it is effectively on the 11th day after you joined that you can buy etc.

Your credit card was NOT charged, so there is no refund process to go through.

All that happened was that the credit card put the money on hold as an authorisation of a pending charge. After waiting for however many days your credit card company holds authorisations the amount will show again in your available credit.

The authorisation can vary - you'll know what it is, or can find out by calling your credit card company, but it can be 3, 5, 7 or even 10 days with some cards.

This same thig happened to me - but I had enough available credit to just buy the miles new on the 11th day and waited three days for the other (failed) attempt to go back as available credit.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: MR PP, US CP, Amtrak S+
Still working at 9:40PM EST
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:49 pm
zlc

I stumbled on to the USAir web site this morning and saw this deal, realizing it's the last day, went on to ANA to find my flights, bought the miles, booked 4 transpac tickets in Business. It turns out my cost per ticket is about $1400, cheaper than the cheapest Coach tickets I can find for the same time frame. ^^^
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:14 am

Well it's no longer available, despite being listed on the US site and despite it not being midnight yet.

Off to call US now to complain...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
But the new share miles promo is now up! (perhaps this needs a new thread)

Jeff
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by jswong
But the new share miles promo is now up! (perhaps this needs a new thread)

Jeff
Nice catch (go ahead and create that new thread)! And much cheaper at about $0.005 per mile given the elite 25% bonus.

Gonna have to put my thinking cap on for this one...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I wonder if the following will work with the new 'Share Miles' promo.

Yesturday, on the last day of the promo, I purchased 50K for myself and 50K for my wife, so, with bonus, we now have 100K each at 0.01478 per mile.

Now,I can share share 50K of newly purchased miles with my wife, she does the same. We pay $530 each and end up with 150K in each account, bringing average cpm to 1.34 cent. Sound too good to be true or US Air is really getting desperate for cash.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvs001d
I wonder if the following will work with the new 'Share Miles' promo.

Yesturday, on the last day of the promo, I purchased 50K for myself and 50K for my wife, so, with bonus, we now have 100K each at 0.01478 per mile.

Now,I can share share 50K of newly purchased miles with my wife, she does the same. We pay $530 each and end up with 150K in each account, bringing average cpm to 1.34 cent. Sound too good to be true or US Air is really getting desperate for cash.
That's essentially correct, but the cost of sharing 50k is $ 567.50, so your cpm for the 150k would be 1.364 cents.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Originally Posted by zlc
I stumbled on to the USAir web site this morning and saw this deal, realizing it's the last day, went on to ANA to find my flights, bought the miles, booked 4 transpac tickets in Business. It turns out my cost per ticket is about $1400, cheaper than the cheapest Coach tickets I can find for the same time frame. ^^^
Thats bad ......!

Not going to lie, but I am kicking myself for not doing the same thing. (booking tickets with points using this promo). I am flying to Bangkok and Manila in August on Philippine Airlines Y. Had I put two and two together, I would have checked the ANA tool, bought more miles then I did for myself and the girlfriend and flown in J on Asiana or Thai or something.

Stupid, stupid me....

Last edited by bthobe; Apr 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm Reason: Can't spell or write. :)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.