Is MUC consider an LH hub for stop-over purposes?

Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Is MUC consider an LH hub for stop-over purposes?

Looking to book a reward trip to Europe this summer. Was thinking a stop-over in MUC would work nicely into my trip. Will US allow me to stopover in MUC? I know they would allow in FRA.

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seratonin7
Looking to book a reward trip to Europe this summer. Was thinking a stop-over in MUC would work nicely into my trip. Will US allow me to stopover in MUC? I know they would allow in FRA.
Yes, they should, as it is definitely a LH hub city.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
It doesn't even matter if they consider it a hub city, because it is a US Airways international destination city, so you qualify either way. It is, in fact, a partner's hub city if you are booked on LH, but you would be permitted the stopover even it was not.

Stopovers
2. One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction. US Airways hub/gateway cities include Phoenix, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale and Pittsburgh. Please consult with Reservations for partner hub cities.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
It doesn't even matter if they consider it a hub city, because it is a US Airways international destination city, so you qualify either way. It is, in fact, a partner's hub city if you are booked on LH, but you would be permitted the stopover even it was not.
However, the way I've had this interpreted by several agents, in trying to book two different trips is that it has to be a US Airways international destination city that you are flying US Airways to or from. In other words, just because US flies there, if you're not flying US through there, it does not count for an eligible stopover. The agents who quoted me the details of the rule were very specific on this point. Of course the agent one gets on a given call may or may not interpret it that way, but it was quite an obstacle for me.

In this case, I think the OP is better using the 'MUC is a LH hub' angle. There is no arguing that point, as long as a flight in or out of MUC is on LH, the OP will clearly comply with the rule and should be able to convince any agent (or supervisor, if necessary) that the rule is met.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
DUS is a hub for LH as well but I suspect some people may encounter marginally more difficulty in agents who realize this. I've not booked through there but was about to recently, with a stopover, using the ORD-DUS segment until the IAH-FRA segment I originally wanted magically appeared available.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Flew on DM miles (*A) all on LH: CLT-MUC (stopover)-ADB-MUC-(Overnight - not a stopover)-CLT. Worked out fine.

HTSC
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
However, the way I've had this interpreted by several agents, in trying to book two different trips is that it has to be a US Airways international destination city that you are flying US Airways to or from. In other words, just because US flies there, if you're not flying US through there, it does not count for an eligible stopover. The agents who quoted me the details of the rule were very specific on this point. Of course the agent one gets on a given call may or may not interpret it that way, but it was quite an obstacle for me.
I was able to get a stopover in a non-hub city on LH, but probably I was just lucky in the agent lotto.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
hkg stopover

i dont get this stopover rule.

for example hongkong, no staralliance carrier has a hub there. so you are not allowed to make a stopover there?

(at least this i was told by an agent)

dp
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
for example hongkong, no staralliance carrier has a hub there. so you are not allowed to make a stopover there?
That' right. Any way to move your schedule around to make HKG your destination and another city the stop-over?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.