Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to figure out how many people were on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
Is it possible to figure out how many people were on a flight?

I was just curious to see if this is possible. I was originally scheduled on US 3658, 12:15 RIC-PHL, which was delayed until after 2 (had to change a tire in CLT). They put us all on the 1:05 flight. As far as I could tell, there was only 1 person that was staying on the original flight. I was really just curious to see if he had the plane to himself.

That would be kind of eerie...where would you sit if that was the case?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It wouldn't be the first time. Airlines are actually required to fly their scheduled flights, no matter how few people are on them. There are exceptions, with weather and maintenance being the most common. Passengers often jump to the wrong conclusion that airlines will cancel a flight solely because the loads are too light, but there are many reasons why that is not likely the case. Often the equipment is needed in the next city anyway so if they didn't fly it, there may have been a load of passengers at the other end without a ride....
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I can attest to this. I was on a WN flight, CRP-HOU-DAL that was delayed prob 4 hours, last flight out of the day. I'd showed up just before boarding (business kept me late) and everyone who could swapped on an earlier flight, leaving 7 of us to have a whole 737 to HOU, then me and one other guy staying onboard to DAL. But, the flight had to be run and the aircraft in DAL for the morning runs, so, off we went.

Best. Flights. Ever. FAs gave personalized safety announced to us instead of using the PA. Then I gorged myself on peanuts.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
I was just curious to see if this is possible. I was originally scheduled on US 3658, 12:15 RIC-PHL, which was delayed until after 2 (had to change a tire in CLT). They put us all on the 1:05 flight. As far as I could tell, there was only 1 person that was staying on the original flight. I was really just curious to see if he had the plane to himself.

That happened to me flying ROA-LGA a couple of years ago. The flight was delayed. Then we took off, had a mechanical, and had to return to the airport. I was backed up on a later ROA-CLT-LGA itinerary in case it canceled, as I had no where to go (I live near TRI, two hours away). The other passengers, some who were very frustrated, took other options. I think a few opted to fly to PHL and were going to rent a car from there and drive, some were rebooked for the next day, and some rented cars in ROA and drove, because they all assumed it would cancel. The flight never canceled and I was the only one on it. I sat in my original exit row seat, 4C on the Dash 8, and the FA sat across from me and shared her lunch with me and gave me unlimited beverage service.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I can attest to this. I was on a WN flight, CRP-HOU-DAL that was delayed prob 4 hours, last flight out of the day. I'd showed up just before boarding (business kept me late) and everyone who could swapped on an earlier flight, leaving 7 of us to have a whole 737 to HOU, then me and one other guy staying onboard to DAL. But, the flight had to be run and the aircraft in DAL for the morning runs, so, off we went.

Best. Flights. Ever. FAs gave personalized safety announced to us instead of using the PA. Then I gorged myself on peanuts.
there were 23 of us (i heard a FA say the number) on an LGA-DCA shuttle flight on MLK day. that leaves around 100 empty seats. boarding took like 5 minutes. i have been on flights even more empty than that.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
As others have already given several good reasons, here's a thread from TraveBuzz that talks about empty flights that others have been on.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
There are a couple "what is the emptiest flight you have been on" thread on FT. I myself was the only passenger on a Saturday evening PHL-CAE flight. It was an enjoyable experience, especially since the FA decided it should be an "open bar" flight
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW

A was the only person on a flight once. I was going to be one of two people on a 757 flight another time but I ran away (hidden city ticketing). The plane stopped and the FA told me that for the continuation, I could sit anywhere, even first class.

I have heard of an American Airlines 767 to Paris with one passenger aboard. That was when the shooting was about to begin in the Gulf War (1st one). AA had tons of people wanting to get back to the US from Paris.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
My brother and I were the only passengers on a flight, but it was a Dash-8 so it wasn't as exciting as it might be.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by uva185
There are a couple "what is the emptiest flight you have been on" thread on FT. I myself was the only passenger on a Saturday evening PHL-CAE flight. It was an enjoyable experience, especially since the FA decided it should be an "open bar" flight
In addition to the story I posted above, I was also on a TRI-CLT flight by myself and on another TRI-CLT flight with one other passenger, so it's fairly common, at least in and out of smaller airports during non-peak times. And on one of these, we also had an "open bar" or the whopping 30-minute flight! LOL
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:49 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by uva185
I remember being on a certain former US captain's (who hangs out on this board) last flight a few years back, BOS-CLT. IIRC, there were 11 of his good friends and family in F, one paid pax in F, and about 6 others in Y. Not the most sparse flight I've ever been on (see my posts in that aforementioned thread), but it was most definitely one of the best "party flights"! Just thinking about it brings a big smile on my face.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
I remember being on a certain former US captain's (who hangs out on this board) last flight a few years back, BOS-CLT. IIRC, there were 11 of his good friends and family in F, one paid pax in F, and about 6 others in Y. Not the most sparse flight I've ever been on (see my posts in that aforementioned thread), but it was most definitely one of the best "party flights"! Just thinking about it brings a big smile on my face.

Me also not to mention the gate party
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I suggest you burn some miles... perhaps a trip to the LH FC Terminal in FRA will top your peanut-bonanza on a coach configured 737!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by geo1005
I suggest you burn some miles... perhaps a trip to the LH FC Terminal in FRA will top your peanut-bonanza on a coach configured 737!
Wow that reminded me of an award trip on LH in First. On the CLT-MUC flight there was one other couple in First, on the way back I was the only person in First. Didn't see a single other passenger for the duration of the flight, now THAT was an awesome flight!!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:07 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....

It left with three pax. I was the only passenger on ROA-LGA last Thursday. I slept the whole way!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.