Wiki Posts
Search

Weight Restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Weight Restrictions?

I was scheduled on US Airways Flight 75 DCA to PHX 1/22. They called for 7 volunteers due to weight restrictions, not due to an oversold flight. The flight was on a Airbus 319. Is it common this time of year to be weight restricted on this flight? Is it because of the aircraft, DCA?, headwinds?

Any thoughts? I'm scheduled on this flight tomorrow, after taking a bump voucher on Friday.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
I was scheduled on US Airways Flight 75 DCA to PHX 1/22. They called for 7 volunteers due to weight restrictions, not due to an oversold flight. The flight was on a Airbus 319. Is it common this time of year to be weight restricted on this flight? Is it because of the aircraft, DCA?, headwinds?

Any thoughts? I'm scheduled on this flight tomorrow, after taking a bump voucher on Friday.

I'd bet it's the headwinds. The storms coming in from the Pacific have been guided by a very strong west-to-east flow. It's also possible that that particular flight already had a lot of cargo scheduled to be included, which added to the need to cut weight in combination with the headwinds.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Headwinds is probably the reason. It is kind of surprising to me - any W&B issues I've had were on smaller planes and shorter routes. I've made pitstops at MCI and elsewhere when flying cross-country. I would have thought that would be easier than leaving pax behind.

ETA: That flight took 4:58 to fly, while the reverse direction flight 46 on the same day took 3:30

ETA, more: Ground speeds for 737's between PHX and the east coast on the 22nd - <500 westbound, >730 eastbound (flightaware says mach 1.11 - not really, but relative to groundspeed, I assume)

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Just a wild stab weight restricted due to a higher fuel load.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Also, the longest runway at DCA is only 6869 feet, so that probably compounds the weight restriction when extra fuel is needed due to headwinds.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Headwinds is probably the reason. It is kind of surprising to me - any W&B issues I've had were on smaller planes and shorter routes. I've made pitstops at MCI and elsewhere when flying cross-country. I would have thought that would be easier than leaving pax behind.
I'm sure OPS had it all figured out WRT at what point they should leave people behind vs. making a tech stop to add fuel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.