US Flight Diverted to PHL After Bomb Scare

Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by USPhilly
I actually think this was the right move from what I've read so far. If none of the crew knew what it was, it's better to not take a chance IMO. You can't possibly think that asking the pax is a reasonable option, do you? Do you think they would readily admit they were attempting to do something negative? That's like asking someone who committed a crime if they did it, IMO.
^
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's beyond stupid that a flight attendant could depart LGA and not be familiar with the rituals of Orthodox Jews. Not only is the flight attendant hopelessly ignorant but their training is woefully deficient.

Our nation of cowards and idiots continues its descent.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by USPhilly
I actually think this was the right move from what I've read so far. If none of the crew knew what it was, it's better to not take a chance IMO. You can't possibly think that asking the pax is a reasonable option, do you? Do you think they would readily admit they were attempting to do something negative? That's like asking someone who committed a crime if they did it, IMO.

I disagree strongly. Asking the passenger was the ONLY logical option, actually.

If the passenger was indeed a bomber, the flight crew could have tried to prevent the bomber from detonating the bomb. If the passenger was a bomber and the flight crew just waited for the plane to land in PHL, everyone dies.

And in this case, with the passenger not being a bomber, the flight crew would have simply examined the Tefillin and seen that it was clearly not a bomb -- and all the drama would not have happened.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:21 am

That's what you get for Trans States Flying =) or Air Wisconsin.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Jgish
Ok, I'll rephrase that: the devout pax wearing it knew. Unfortunately, everyone else onboard is thinking terrorist profile and other bad things. If nobody believed him that it was innocent (as it indeed is), where are you then?

Are you serious?? "Terrorist profile"?? The flight was from LGA. Orthodox Jews are a common sight in NYC. Nothing "terrorist" about an Orthodox Jew. It seems that only the flight crew didn't know.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's beyond stupid that a flight attendant could depart LGA and not be familiar with the rituals of Orthodox Jews. Not only is the flight attendant hopelessly ignorant but their training is woefully deficient.
Quite possibly he or she wasn't from the NY area.

Sadly agree.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
This is just insane. What a sorry state the security of this country is in!

The FA did ask the 17 year old what it was and he politely answered that is was a jewish prayer item. FA tells the pilot and pilot declares a pointless emergency. The other passengers were all shocked because the boy was totally cooperative and polite and obviously no threat.

Here is a full news report:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdt-...ayer_embedded#
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I disagree strongly. Asking the passenger was the ONLY logical option, actually.

If the passenger was indeed a bomber, the flight crew could have tried to prevent the bomber from detonating the bomb. If the passenger was a bomber and the flight crew just waited for the plane to land in PHL, everyone dies.

And in this case, with the passenger not being a bomber, the flight crew would have simply examined the Tefillin and seen that it was clearly not a bomb -- and all the drama would not have happened.
I agree completely about preventing the passenger from detonating the "bomb." If the recommendation to the pilot was to do was divert to PHL, the Tefillin should have been confiscated and the passenger restrained. If they did not feel that the pax was THAT much of a threat, no need to divert.

However, if they did all that, I would be somewhat ok with it because they thought there was a threat. I just don't think the passenger can be trusted, just like you cannot reasonably assume that someone who just committed a crime to admit that, yes, they're guilty, if asked by police.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Are you serious?? "Terrorist profile"?? The flight was from LGA. Orthodox Jews are a common sight in NYC. Nothing "terrorist" about an Orthodox Jew. It seems that only the flight crew didn't know.
Sure, and there are Hassidim in places other than NYC too. Many of us have been exposed to multiple cultures and so understand and accept. But, if the crew hadn't seen before, what would you expect.

What about the other pax (presumably at least some from NYC)? Why not speak up?

Last edited by Jgish; Jan 21, 2010 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:29 am

They have a tefillin in one of the scenes of the film pi. Sweet movie.

Another failure of the system. It's sad that watching movies would be better preparation for these people than ... whatever they're getting. It says a lot.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer

The FA did ask the 17 year old what it was and he politely answered that is was a jewish prayer item. FA tells the pilot and pilot declares a pointless emergency.

HOLY COW!!!!

OK, so the FA did do the right thing! She spoke to the passenger. ^

But how on earth did the the pilot decide that the plane needed to be diverted? That's the amazing part.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Jgish

What about the other pax (presumably at least some from NYC)? Why not speak up?

According to the new reports, the other passengers had no idea that the flight crew was concerned.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:38 am

By this I guess every f/a in the entire nation should be taught the rituals of Orthodox Jews. At one point or another we all fly in or out of the NYC area.

I myself have flown many times in and out of the LGA, JFK, EWR and have never seen or heard of a tefillin.

Should this plane have diverted? Probably not.

Should the f/a gotten as much info from the pax and had that info forwarded on to ops via the cockpit crew? Yes.

It is impossible to train all employees in the airline industry on every religious and cultural difference. It is possible to train them how to deal with them and not to overreact.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Similar thing happened when I was praying on FL in J about 6 month ago. All FAs hided in the bathroom and got really scared. I was not allowed to talk during this part of prayer, but luckily my 14 y. o. daughter explained to FA what was happening and plane was not diverted. It was to LGA also.

Never happened to me on UA, however.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
By this I guess every f/a in the entire nation should be taught the rituals of Orthodox Jews. At one point or another we all fly in or out of the NYC area.

I myself have flown many times in and out of the LGA, JFK, EWR and have never seen or heard of a tefillin.
Bravo. We are too quick to blame the flight crew here. Better to be cautious...We weren't there!

Thanks for what you do! Those of us who fly a lot appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.