Who hates the new BOS-LGA Shuttles?

Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: USAir Gold; Delta Gold; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Was actually kidding about the unhappy, anti-social CPs, but guess they exist. Read all about it here

I've been on the E190 weekly now, sometimes two three times a week and in the 5-6-7pm hours they fly full and more luggage is checked.

For those of you thinking of defecting to Delta and their MD88s, rumor has it that Delta is going to E170 from BOS. Haven't confirmed this, but that's what the USAIR folks have said.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:23 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
The Delta Shuttle is supposed to go all EMB175. I don't know the exact date but that is what we were told as we opened a base in LGA just for it...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: None
Two notes - one of which is to an older post that I didn't catch before.

For the older post, all the E190's aren't going to be devoted to the BOS-LGA-BOS Shuttle since that doesn't take 15 airplanes. If I recall, some will be flying between PHL and BOS plus maybe a few other places.

For the newer post, while you can put a standard sized rollaboard under the two seat side (which is both sides in coach) if it's not overstuffed and too thick, it'll intrude into your seatmate's footspace (if you have a seatmate) so it'd be nice to ask them if it's ok to do that.

Jim

oh yes - for whoever said one drawback of the 190's was the hard landing he had, I hope you realize that it wasn't the airplane's fault.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
With the same load factor you're right. With the same passenger load (which is more likely) there's a somewhat less chance of upgrading.

Jim
Statistically, the above statement makes no sense Unless, you are making the flawed assumption that the same number of CP, PP, GP etc will get onto the E190 who used to board the A319. Statistically, the percentages of elites and non-elites will remain constant on either aircraft. Consequently a lower average number of elites will find a seat available for any given flight. With a higher percentage of F vs. Y you would be more likely to get an upgrade with the E190. It's all statistics, and the universe makes no distinction between load factor and passenger load.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:08 pm
Suspended

I LIKE the E190, and I think for a short haul like BOS-LGA they would be perfect
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentvan
Statistically, the above statement makes no sense Unless, you are making the flawed assumption that the same number of CP, PP, GP etc will get onto the E190 who used to board the A319. Statistically, the percentages of elites and non-elites will remain constant on either aircraft. Consequently a lower average number of elites will find a seat available for any given flight. With a higher percentage of F vs. Y you would be more likely to get an upgrade with the E190. It's all statistics, and the universe makes no distinction between load factor and passenger load.
Yes, but if the 319 was not filled (perhaps why they switched to the E190), then the total number of passengers will be the same. Therefore, total amount of elites would be approximately equivalent, and less FC seats (even though a higher percentage of seats on the plane).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
But isn't the E190 going away?

A buddy of mine was an FO on this craft out of Charlotte. They sold off the 190s that were based in Charlotte and I was under the impression they were going to sell off the rest in '10. He had to go over to the A3**'s.

I also know a mechanic who was constantly having to deal with lightning strikes on this plane. Moreso than any other at US.

I flew on Mesa's US CRJ7 this past week. So weird sitting in FC on that little tiny jet.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:23 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by flight62
Unfortunately, long gone are the glamour days of the Shuttle as it should be gone. It is a 35-40 minute flight with most passengers on biz and wanting to just catch a nap or finish some work on the PC.

Back in the EAL Shuttle days before PAA got involved, the Shuttle was INDEED a SHUTTLE. You paid on the a/c and there was hardly any service as you paid onboard and by the time the f/a's collected the money, it was time to land. It was Pan Am that tried to make it something it never EVER should had become.
DL still treats it with some "glamour." US still prices it as such.

Makes the choice out of NYC fairly easy, really.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by fish114
Yes, but if the 319 was not filled (perhaps why they switched to the E190), then the total number of passengers will be the same. Therefore, total amount of elites would be approximately equivalent, and less FC seats (even though a higher percentage of seats on the plane).
If your statistically flawed assumption is correct then you're right! Of course, there will certainly be some flights where you might be less likely to get an upgrade. On the whole, how many ways can I say it, you are statistically more likely to get an upgrade on an E190 than a A319. There are no two, not even three ways about it! Trust me, I have spent my life mired in statistics.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: None
Seems you're saying that because a smaller airplane is used some of the elites will fly someone else. That's the only way there would be fewer elites. With it being the 190, which is pretty comfortable and has FC I can't see that.

My reasoning is this (using round numbers to make it easy) - on a given flight on a given day there are 50 passengers of which 20 are elites. Nobody paid for FC. If an A319/320 is setting at the gate those 20 elites have 12 seats available for upgrade, so 12 of the 20 get upgraded (60% of the elites). If there's an E190 sitting at the gate there are only 11 FC seats so only 11 upgrades (55% of the elites). The same # of passengers with the same percentage of elites = a smaller percentage of elites that get upgraded. That would be true as long as there were at least 12 elites on the flight. Less than that and they all get upgraded on either airplane.

If you're right - some elites won't fly the US Shttle because it's the E190 and fly DL or AA instead, then my reasoning is wrong and you're right.

Jim
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If you're right - some elites won't fly the US Shttle because it's the E190 and fly DL or AA instead, then my reasoning is wrong and you're right.

Jim
It has nothing to do with reasoning...this is where you seem confused. It is pure numbers. You can make all of the reasoned arguments you wish. In the end of the day, more first class seats vs. coach seats will statistically lead to a higher probability of any one elite passenger obtaining an upgrade. You could commission a long term study and it would bear this out. It is the same logic that is used to commission a random survey of 1058 adults who are likely to vote in the upcoming election for the next president and then from that extroplating out as to who will win. How do you think they are so accurate when within minutes of the first poll closing, in many cases, they are able to predict the eventual winner? Numbers. As the old addage goes, numbers don't lie.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Count me as one of the people who likes the E190s. I enjoyed them when they were used for the PHL-JAX routes a while back.

As for LGA-BOS, there were a few times when that route would have fit with my travel needs but the non-seat assignment is a no go with me. First, while I am PP, if I buy a coach ticket I expect to sit in coach. Anything else is greatly appreciated and not taken for granted.

Not sure if this is 100% correct but this is what I was told by US. Let me know if this is incorrect. If I booked it, it would have been a connection through LGA. Upgrades were based on US status rules plus the time at the desk in LGA. That meant if I arrived on my first leg 30 minutes before flight time, everyone on site with my status would be ahead of me. I asked if the check-in for the first leg also included check-in for the LGA-BOS segment and they told me no.

So, my preference is to book assigned seat flights. I have no problem with the US pecking order. The folks in front of me deserve to be in front of me and I'm fine with the way it plays out. Just give me a chance to be a part of the pecking order without a handicap.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by 900at
Count me as one of the people who likes the E190s. I enjoyed them when they were used for the PHL-JAX routes a while back.

As for LGA-BOS, there were a few times when that route would have fit with my travel needs but the non-seat assignment is a no go with me. First, while I am PP, if I buy a coach ticket I expect to sit in coach. Anything else is greatly appreciated and not taken for granted.

Not sure if this is 100% correct but this is what I was told by US. Let me know if this is incorrect. If I booked it, it would have been a connection through LGA. Upgrades were based on US status rules plus the time at the desk in LGA. That meant if I arrived on my first leg 30 minutes before flight time, everyone on site with my status would be ahead of me. I asked if the check-in for the first leg also included check-in for the LGA-BOS segment and they told me no.

So, my preference is to book assigned seat flights. I have no problem with the US pecking order. The folks in front of me deserve to be in front of me and I'm fine with the way it plays out. Just give me a chance to be a part of the pecking order without a handicap.
Not sure about the upgrade issue, but I've always been able to select a seat assignment at check-in 24 hours prior to departure. Getting a prime seat (exit row or just a row near the front) has never been a problem. In fact, it is better for me —.I usually book just about 24 hours out (or even same day). On a typical flight, usually all of the good seats are long gone. But on the shuttle, there are still plenty available for last-minute bookers like myself.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
It has nothing to do with reasoning...this is where you seem confused. It is pure numbers. You can make all of the reasoned arguments you wish. In the end of the day, more first class seats vs. coach seats will statistically lead to a higher probability of any one elite passenger obtaining an upgrade.
You are assuming that the size of the plane has some bearing on demand with this argument wheras Jim is not. If the the number of people who are going to fly is a static part of the equation, and is less than or equal to the capacity of either plane, than the 190 has a worse chance of upgrade than an A319.

In English, if there are 50 people who are going to fly 12 get the upgrade on the A319 (24% of passengers) wheras only 11 get the upgrade on the 190 (22% of passengers).

Sean
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by stiphy
You are assuming that the size of the plane has some bearing on demand with this argument wheras Jim is not. If the the number of people who are going to fly is a static part of the equation, and is less than or equal to the capacity of either plane, than the 190 has a worse chance of upgrade than an A319.

In English, if there are 50 people who are going to fly 12 get the upgrade on the A319 (24% of passengers) wheras only 11 get the upgrade on the 190 (22% of passengers).

Sean
Your assumption is only correct if there are always 12 passengers, or more, out of every 50 who book a flight on the shuttle that are eligble for an upgrade.

I would venture a guess that 24% of passengers who book flights on any given US Airways filght do not have elite status, it is probably a lower percentage.

Last edited by vincentvan; Feb 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.