Wiki Posts
Search

A332 seat maps envoy/coach

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
A332 seat maps envoy/coach

Having just flown the new Airbus 300-200 both with and without the new pod seats, thought I would post some updates about the seat arrangements since the seatmaps on SeatGuru are not completely accurate.

First about the pod seats: they are indeed nice and comfy but not perfect if you're tall like me. The window seats have a bit more legroom and are OK for a person up to about 6'4", the center ones are good only up to about 6'2" in the lie flat configuration. The end of the "pod" is rather V-shaped which makes turning on your side almost impossible for tall persons - from this aspect the older 767 seats are better. The lie flat configuration is very good, but the restrictiveness of the pod design makes moving around difficult. I think I slept less than I normally do on the 767.

For the non-pod version the arrangement is 2-2-2 but the rows are staggered and there are 4 rows in the center and 3 for the windows. I would avoid row 1 since it partially uses the end piece from the pods. The staggered design results in enormous space between rows 2-3 and 3-4 but not 1-2. The best seats are in rows 2 or 3. The seat manufacture is similar, but not identical to the ones used in the 767.

I've noticed that the current seatmaps don't seem to distinguish the pod from the non-pod layouts, so I assume they will simply change your seat upon checkin.

In coach: the US Airways seat maps are correct, the SeatGuru ones are not. The lavs extend between rows 22-23, the leftmost one, being for disabled access, is much larger and takes out seats 22 AB. The exit row window seats in row 23 are used for crew rest and the bulkhead center seats offer a little more legroom but not much. The bulkhead seats in row 6 had a couple infants in them on our flights, so I wouldn't normally recommend them. The window seats in row 6 were about the best in coach.

There are two bunk beds for the pilots just behind the flight deck. The opening to them makes them look very short, but in fact they actually extend well beyond the opening so they will easy accomodate taller pilots. The guys on our two flights were mixed as to whether they preferred the beds to the Envoy seats for sleeping.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Having just flown the new Airbus 300-200 both with and without the new pod seats, thought I would post some updates about the seat arrangements since the seatmaps on SeatGuru are not completely accurate.

First about the pod seats: they are indeed nice and comfy but not perfect if you're tall like me. The window seats have a bit more legroom and are OK for a person up to about 6'4", the center ones are good only up to about 6'2" in the lie flat configuration. The end of the "pod" is rather V-shaped which makes turning on your side almost impossible for tall persons - from this aspect the older 767 seats are better. The lie flat configuration is very good, but the restrictiveness of the pod design makes moving around difficult. I think I slept less than I normally do on the 767.

For the non-pod version the arrangement is 2-2-2 but the rows are staggered and there are 4 rows in the center and 3 for the windows. I would avoid row 1 since it partially uses the end piece from the pods. The staggered design results in enormous space between rows 2-3 and 3-4 but not 1-2. The best seats are in rows 2 or 3. The seat manufacture is similar, but not identical to the ones used in the 767.

I've noticed that the current seatmaps don't seem to distinguish the pod from the non-pod layouts, so I assume they will simply change your seat upon checkin.

In coach: the US Airways seat maps are correct, the SeatGuru ones are not. The lavs extend between rows 22-23, the leftmost one, being for disabled access, is much larger and takes out seats 22 AB. The exit row window seats in row 23 are used for crew rest and the bulkhead center seats offer a little more legroom but not much. The bulkhead seats in row 6 had a couple infants in them on our flights, so I wouldn't normally recommend them. The window seats in row 6 were about the best in coach.

There are two bunk beds for the pilots just behind the flight deck. The opening to them makes them look very short, but in fact they actually extend well beyond the opening so they will easy accomodate taller pilots. The guys on our two flights were mixed as to whether they preferred the beds to the Envoy seats for sleeping.
I'm flying LHR-PHL this weekend on an A332. Thanks for the info! SeatGuru and SeatExpert maps aren't remotely correct for this configuration. I'm not in the "tall" category (more in the "wide" category...) so the pods wouldn't be a concern I think. Row 4 is the only thing left on my flight (booked late due to a cancellation); hoping to check out the pods!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by treznor
I'm not in the "tall" category (more in the "wide" category...) so the pods wouldn't be a concern I think.
Gary could say for sure, but I'm under the impression that while the seat unit is wider than the old Envoy seat unit because they're canted to the side, the seat itself is narrower.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:01 am
Original Poster

treznor I think you'll enjoy the pods if you get them. We were in row 4 also - the down side is it's close to the galley and the FAs tend to congregate there later in the evening - the plus side is that you have this wide, wood paneled section above the back of those pods which can be used for temporary storage. The front section of the pod has a shelf for placing your stuff, but you need to remove everything from that space when the seat is extended into the lie-flat configuration, so the back "shelf" came in handy.

jim - actually I couldn't quite figure out why the seats weren't that great for sleeping, and I believe you're right. For certain, the front of the pod narrows down to a "v" shape which restricts any side-to-side motion, especially for us tall guys. Overall the seat did feel more narrow, but I didn't really make any measurements. I loved the enhanced privacy and the seat "feel" is much better, but it is a bit cramped when trying to sleep. Obviously, it's also very nice that each seat has aisle access, although the design does put your partner some distance away from you. However, for most rows of the 'non-pod' version, the spacing between seats is so huge that you can walk around the seat even in the lie-flat position, so aisle access is not an issue.

Last edited by GaryZ; Jan 11, 2010 at 10:09 am Reason: errored by forgetting there are 5 rows not 4, we were in the last row
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: None
treznor For certain, the front of the pod narrows down to a "v" shape which restricts any side-to-side motion, especially for us tall guys.
I can certainly understand the "tall" complaint - that little cubby-hole for your feet seems like it would be a pain unless one were short enough not to need it. Of course, that cubby is why the seats are canted and require less pitch.

Jim
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Perhaps US ought to update their A330 conversion progress report :

Airbus A330-200
Aircraft in fleet: 3
Aircraft on order: 12
Aircraft with the Envoy Suite: 0
1st aircraft with Envoy Suite: December 2009

Airbus A330-300
Aircraft in fleet: 9
Aircraft with the Envoy Suite: 0
1st aircraft with Envoy Suite: Fall 2011
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:32 pm

Looks like the first a/c (N279AY) went to Mobile on 5 JAN. I would guess it's being refitted with the new Envoy seats.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
They do have a pod seatmap, but they only attach to a flight when they know a pod plane will be flying. It seems to happen the day before on a typical flight.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, in fact a number of seat rows seem to 'open up' at the 24-hr mark, it may also be due to possibility they could substitute a 767 for any of the routes, except TLV.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeLaw
They do have a pod seatmap, but they only attach to a flight when they know a pod plane will be flying. It seems to happen the day before on a typical flight.
That's exactly what I saw on my recent flight. Switched from the old seatmap (5 or 6 rows, 2-2-2 configuration, with a number of seats missing) to the new seatmap (5 rows, 1-2-1 configuration) the day before the flight.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I follow @SeatGuru on Twitter and have directed him/her to Gary Z's post above, so they can make corrections on their site.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks me4yankees - I had mentioned this to them a couple months ago and was told that US Airways was not very forthcoming in supplying new seatmap designs. Recently, I commented using a pop-up box on the SeatGuru website where I detailed all of the changes, including some about the forward galley - but I haven't heard anything back from them.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Can you explain what you mean by "staggered?" Seatguru shows 4 rows of 2-2-2 but like you said, my current seatmap only shows 3 rows on the sides and 4 rows in the middle. Are these different seats than the regular recliner seats (A333, B757)? Aren't these supposed to be converted to the new suites in the future?
Old May 24, 2010, 2:35 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
5 of the 7 A330-200's currently in the fleet have the new pods with 5 rows in a 1-2-1 config (20 seats).

The other 2 have the A330-300 seats and will be converted later this year.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by PHL
The other 2 have the A330-300 seats and will be converted later this year.
OP used the word "staggered." Are there any differences between the 333 envoy seats and 332 envoy seats? I find it weird that there are 3 rows on the sides while 4 rows in the middle. Is this because the closets and galley extend further down on the sides?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.