Ridiculous and insulting new award chart

Old Dec 30, 09, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Ridiculous, annoying and insulting new award chart - Earn US fly *A

Has anyone noticed the new award chart. High season coach outside of the country is more miles than partner business. Is US trying to get us to switch to other carriers when travelling abroad. And the new high, mid and low season awards are a Joke. Why fly US when the rest of the world allows you to fly for less.: td:

Last edited by mrclshppn; Dec 30, 09 at 9:27 am Reason: ADJUST TITLE FOR EMPHASIS
Old Dec 30, 09, 9:09 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Earn on US, spend on *A.

HTSC
Originally Posted by mrclshppn View Post
Has anyone noticed the new award chart. High season coach outside of the country is more miles than partner business. Is US trying to get us to switch to other carriers when travelling abroad. And the new high, mid and low season awards are a Joke. Why fly US when the rest of the world allows you to fly for less.: td:
Old Dec 30, 09, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, Platinum Ambassador Priority Club, National Emerald Exec
Ditto HTSC's comments - I just burned 125K to fly first in LH instead of 350K in Envoy to VCE in May. Earn on US, Burn on *A - that's the new mantra.
Old Dec 30, 09, 9:23 am
Original Poster

my point. If US has to pay for our use of *A this will cost them dearly. Plus I just flew LH and the new UA business class and the seats and service spanked Envoy!!!
Old Dec 30, 09, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radiotvlaw View Post
Ditto HTSC's comments - I just burned 125K to fly first in LH instead of 350K in Envoy to VCE in May. Earn on US, Burn on *A - that's the new mantra.
definitely agree, plus the other airlines business and first is miles ahead of US. You'll enjoy LH first, they really pamper you and the Senate lounge makes philly envoy look and feel like mcdonalds.
Old Dec 30, 09, 10:11 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Already lengthy discussion about this when it was discovered earlier this month.

Here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-1-6-10-a.html
Old Dec 30, 09, 10:19 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by radiotvlaw View Post
Earn on US, Burn on *A - that's the new mantra.
That's new?

I thought most posters here had been doing just that all along.
Old Dec 30, 09, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MP
I remember seeing a similar comment a few days ago by (I think) one of the mods, but couldn't find it again.

Is it possible to choose UA as a carrier instead of US for domestic awards or will they force you to pick US (assuming UA is available).
eg, If I need a DEN-LAX award, will they make me do DEN-PHX-LAX?

thanks,
Old Dec 30, 09, 10:39 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

Is your post really relevant? You're comparing peak coach awards on US to non-peak *A-partner business class. We can't even get the "high season" awards from *A partners that those partners may make available to their own customers.

And why are US's low-season awards "a joke"? For example, I can fly from PHL to Rome in coach throughout February for just 35K rt. And it's only 30K miles for me because I have the US Mastercard. That's a great deal, actually.
Old Dec 30, 09, 11:39 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It *should* be standard *A at that point. THat's what I do too, to avoid US cr*p when I need to get to a *A flight somewhere else.

HTSC
Originally Posted by HJsimpson View Post
I remember seeing a similar comment a few days ago by (I think) one of the mods, but couldn't find it again.

Is it possible to choose UA as a carrier instead of US for domestic awards or will they force you to pick US (assuming UA is available).
eg, If I need a DEN-LAX award, will they make me do DEN-PHX-LAX?

thanks,
Old Dec 30, 09, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
Is your post really relevant? You're comparing peak coach awards on US to non-peak *A-partner business class. We can't even get the "high season" awards from *A partners that those partners may make available to their own customers.

And why are US's low-season awards "a joke"? For example, I can fly from PHL to Rome in coach throughout February for just 35K rt. And it's only 30K miles for me because I have the US Mastercard. That's a great deal, actually.
That's easy. low season awards are 60 for coach and 100k for business. You quote off-peak, which is such a limited period, it may as well not exist. US now has four levels off peak, low, mid, and high. low is the equivalent of partner travel award costs, and anything above that is a US penalty for loyalty. The 5k discount for having and using their credit card is ok and may make the first level palatable if you don't look at the difference in service levels on anything above coach. But if you travel coach and can limit yourself to the designated off-peak, not low, mid or high travel season, then the new award is a plus, otherwise it sucks. Also I can buy that PHL to Rome flight for such a low price that it is the equivalent of 25k purchased, so still no real deal.
Old Dec 30, 09, 12:24 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
More of the same?

I laughed when I read US' email "more choices!"

Yeah right.

After the several month runaround I got from them for booking three of us R/T Biz to Oz, I don't want more choices, I want straight information about what *A is available and when.

I bought into a seat service (most popular one, can't remember the name) and used ANA's data for *A flights, and for all of that work (50+) phone calls to US, I educated a heck of a lot of their people, and they still screwed up my PHX/LAX outbound.

I'd rather see more honesty from US and more training of their staff. They can keep their choices. I now fly "MOO" and don't miss US one whit.
Old Dec 30, 09, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
While I agree that US Airways should be in politics with the way they spin their new award charts, and I'm not thrilled with the changes, they're not out-of-line with other airlines. Comparing US "medium" awards to UA "standard" awards, US can still be a better deal (yes, discounting differences in service between the two):

North America to Europe in business: US 200,000 vs UA 210,000
North America to Hawaii in first: US 135,000 vs UA 160,000 (2 class plane)

Agreed, the US "high" awards are astronomical, but at least there's an option to still use miles on very busy days. Of course, there is valid concern that more availability will move to the "high" category if they find people actually redeem at those rates.

As for the saver awards, the window is narrow but again it's nice to at least have the option. For me, I'm looking forward to a London break next month in business class for only 55,000 miles (with the DSM 5K discount).
Old Dec 30, 09, 2:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
That's easy. low season awards are 60 for coach and 100k for business. You quote off-peak, which is such a limited period, it may as well not exist. US now has four levels off peak, low, mid, and high. low is the equivalent of partner travel award costs, and anything above that is a US penalty for loyalty. The 5k discount for having and using their credit card is ok and may make the first level palatable if you don't look at the difference in service levels on anything above coach. But if you travel coach and can limit yourself to the designated off-peak, not low, mid or high travel season, then the new award is a plus, otherwise it sucks. Also I can buy that PHL to Rome flight for such a low price that it is the equivalent of 25k purchased, so still no real deal.
As pointed out in the thread I linked to that's been on-going for a month, US is still generally better overall than Mileage Plus or OnePass for redemptions. Especially since the majority of inter-region awards on *A don't change.

100K in C to Europe (or 95K if you really want to burn on US and have the credit card) is still better than 105K that UA and CO people have to spend.

It's still 110K in C to South Pacific which is an awesome deal and if you know the routes to search, you can usually find availability near your travel dates.

I don't burn miles on US so the various levels mean nothing to me but I've seen fine availability for the off-peak - yes it's limited but that's what off peak is. It's not 6 months of off-peak, it's the dead of winter, at least for Europe. Fine by me, great time to go in my opinion for 60K (or 55K) in Envoy.
Old Dec 30, 09, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KevAZ View Post
. . . I now fly "MOO" and don't miss US one whit.
As increasingly tempting as that is, 'MOO' isn't getting three of us to Oz in Biz with their program, which is why I stick it out with US.

Search this Thread