Anyone at PHL today (Saturday)?

Old Dec 19, 09, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone at PHL today (Saturday)?

I suspect things are a bit interesting today (snow storm).

Especially with the storm falling on a peak travel weekend. I understand that most of Charlotte was just barely on the rain-side of the storm -- and that conditions are clear now -- so that will help a bit. Had US lost both hubs, that would be an almost indescribable mess.
Old Dec 19, 09, 10:12 am

Sitting about 7th in line for de-icing now. They just finished plowing the runways so hopefully it's only another 30-45 minutes of bloody marys before we take off. Then it's only about 4 hours of Jack & Cokes to St Maarten! Landed right on time this morning, but it looks like many flights to/from here are canceled.

The crew has been great during the delay. And the envoy seats sure beat the domestic first ones. Looks like many folks weren't able to make this flight and will have their vacation shortened/canceled. All envoy seats were taken as of Thursday, and now there are 4 empty seats (I'm not sure if anyone got a gate upgrade). Coach is almost empty.
Old Dec 19, 09, 11:04 am

Almost done de-icing!
Old Dec 19, 09, 11:09 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by johnep1 View Post
Almost done de-icing!
^ Hopefully you'll be on your way soon! Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 19, 09, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USPhilly View Post
^ Hopefully you'll be on your way soon! Enjoy your trip.
Yeah, good luck! John's post sparked my curiosity. At 12:35 -- almost 3 hours after scheduled departure -- his flight is still showing "awaiting takeoff."

At least the conditions in FC seem more than adequate.
Old Dec 19, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Yea I was, was trying to fly to BOS this weekend on the 8:15 AM flight. That got cancelled, shortly followed by the 10:15 AM flight then every flight up until 4 (to BOS). Luckily was able to get a full refund after waiting on hold for an hour 20 minutes. Just went home finally after 4 hours, Seemed like about 1/3 of the flights were cancelled by 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 19, 09, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLstudent View Post
Just went home finally after 4 hours, Seemed like about 1/3 of the flights were cancelled by 10:00 AM.
That would be an extraordinary achievement. I'm kind of thinking 80% of the PHL flights will be cancelled today.
Old Dec 19, 09, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
That would be an extraordinary achievement. I'm kind of thinking 80% of the PHL flights will be cancelled today.
Yes, by now, but I was at the airport from about 630 am to 1030 am approx. And it seemed like US was holding back canceling flights. Based on the FIDS when I was leaving only 1/3 of the flights were cancelled at that point.
Old Dec 19, 09, 2:11 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
10 inches on the ground already and the heaviest snow just started. Pretty much a white-out in Philly right now. I can't see how any flights can be moving in or out of here in these conditions.
Old Dec 19, 09, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1 View Post
Almost done de-icing!
Uh...aren't all electronic devices supposed to be turned off at that point

I saw AA cancelled all PHL flights, I imagine other airlines have significantly reduced or just flat out cancelled all flights
Old Dec 19, 09, 3:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
What happens to the flights from Europe? If they're already enroute, they have to go somewhere, don't they? There really are few alternates to PHL for them it sounds.

Thankfully I got back from my Europe trip on Tues (on UA through IAD), and weather was perfect, sunny and 50s.
Old Dec 19, 09, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
What happens to the flights from Europe? If they're already enroute, they have to go somewhere, don't they? There really are few alternates to PHL for them it sounds.

Thankfully I got back from my Europe trip on Tues (on UA through IAD), and weather was perfect, sunny and 50s.
I guess somebody can check their flight status. Generally I would think the policy would be to cancel the flight if the weather conditions forecast for arrival are terrible. That would seem to be the case today.

Actually making it in to PHL would be more than a mixed blessing. First, for connecting pax, good luck with that! A night at the PHL airport probably awaits. And even if you're staying locally, do you REALLY want to try to get home or to your hotel today?

Seems like waiting a day would be better for just about everyone.
Old Dec 19, 09, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Man, I came so close to scheduling a segment run this weekend bouncing around the north east to lock in PLT for next year. Thank God I decided not to bother. I hadn't even seen a weather report at that time!
Old Dec 19, 09, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
Slightly OT

I live in Philly and it's insane today. The plows cannot keep up with anything. Normally, I park my car on the street, but I decided that would be a bad idea... I paid for garage parking til Monday night.

My apartment is at the top of a short incline and there are people flooring it, burning rubber trying to make it up. This is crazy. I'm from CT, so I'm used to snow, but this city cannot deal.

This is the first time I wont be flying on Sunday or Monday in 9 months. I guess I picked the right week to work from home
Old Dec 19, 09, 4:19 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Seems like waiting a day would be better for just about everyone.
And pray that you find a seat somewhere... the way loads are these days, especially during Christmas, flight cancellations could potentially turn into multi-day delays.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: