Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Star Alliance/Partner Award Charts Released - Effective 1/6/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Star Alliance/Partner Award Charts Released - Effective 1/6/10

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HedgeFundie
Could a moderator edit the title of this thread please?
Done.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Hawaii-South Pacific costs more now too which I find amusing since HNL-AKL is shorter and in a lower qualify C product than LAX-AKL or LAX-SYD.
It is ironic. I wonder if CO entering the mix had anything to do with this given their coverage of the South Pacific?

That said, there's nothing stopping you from taking advantage of limited direct schedules to do HNL-NRT-BKK-SYD in C/F or HNL-YVR-SYD or any other combination to get on a nice product.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Too tired to do a full comparison tonight but there are a number of notable devaluations - over 25% in several cases. Hawaii is particularly hard hit.
As you can see from my spreadsheet, I count a total of 5 routes with an increase of more than 25%. I understand most of the Hawaii increases (particularly the MidEast, since it cost more to fly NA to MidEast than Hawaii to MidEast despite the longer distance for the latter), the exception being Hawaii to South Pacific - I think it should have stayed the same.

Originally Posted by Renard
It could have been much worse. In several star alliance awards, it is still better than UA/CO.
I agree. It could have been much worse, and it maintains value when compared to UA's redemptions, which in some cases are more expensive and in all cases have to contend with stringent routing and MPM rules and StarNet blocking.

Is anyone else absolutely flabbergasted that they still don't allow redemptions on RJ and QR? Hasn't it been "temporarily unavailable" for three or more years now? At what point is "temporary" no longer an appropriate description?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:28 am

Another oddity - it is now cheaper to go to North Asia (eg., Russia) via Europe instead of just going to Europe.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The changes are what I expected, I never expected *A Awards to be cheaper than US awards, it looks like where the awards "overlap" they are the same (I didn't check every single combination).

What is absolutely shocking to me is that *A First Class awards are now a bargain in relation to Biz for many regions. 25,000 miles to "upgrade" from Biz to First from N. America to Europe ... you'd be crazy not to do it!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looked through it some more this morning. I'm less surprised about the changes and more surprised that it took them this long to fix the obvious holes in the chart. It used to be way better to go to the Middle East and Europe from Hawaii or the Caribbean. Now those are just aligned with N. America. I see this mostly as fixing bugs in the chart, though certainly the folks who used to take advantage of said gems won't be too happy.

And, as noted above, the rates are still generally better than UA/CO. I didn't see any that were worse (maybe one in the middle-east). So things got worse but they still don't suck. That's actually pretty refreshing these days considering what could have been.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by yyliu88
It 's lots better than expected, only very few market increased.

^^^^
I could not agree more.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sbm12
So things got worse but they still don't suck. That's actually pretty refreshing these days considering what could have been.
I agree completely. It is surprisingly refreshing.

As someone who largely lives in this program, I'm tremendously relieved.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Beckles

What is absolutely shocking to me is that *A First Class awards are now a bargain in relation to Biz for many regions. 25,000 miles to "upgrade" from Biz to First from N. America to Europe ... you'd be crazy not to do it!
I noticed this too. If you've got the miles and the availability is there, I don't know why you wouldn't take F over C for that few miles!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: Grounded
Does anyone know how these stack up against UA/CO's charts?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Because I'm lazy and self-centered, I made a cross reference that only focuses on awards from North America. I highlighted in green any award that was better than the other three airlines and highlighted in ref any award that worse than the other two airlines.

I did it really fast and I think I flaked out on Asia somewhere because CO had too many options, so there are probably errors. But I think it does demonstrate that US is better for *A awards than the other two, in general. Even with the new award levels.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:08 pm

I've done a similar chart to Mike's, but since I'm bored I've included more regions...

Green = cheapest carrier for a given award
Red = most expensive carrier for a given award
Yellow = all carriers same price for a given award

Some notes:
For CO, I always chose the more expensive region when an area was divided into more than one (e.g. Northern/Southern South America, Northern/Central & Southern Africa, etc.)
For CO, I chose CO Mike award rates for Asia -> Oceania
For UA and CO, I chose the more expensive rate when looking at (anywhere) -> Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific, since they have multiple rates.
For UA and CO, I excluded the Japanese figures since US includes them in North Asia
For UA, Europe->North Asia and Europe->South Pacific rates exclude transiting via the U.S. (rates would otherwise be higher)

Last edited by vysean; Dec 5, 2009 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Does US allow intra-Europe awards? I thought that they did but I don't seem them on the new chart.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by USFreak
Does US allow intra-Europe awards? I thought that they did but I don't seem them on the new chart.
From Vysean's chart above, Europe-Europe is 25K Y, 45K C in the new chart. Not sure if that's a change, too lazy to look at the old chart right now.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by USFreak
Yes they do - albeit in coach or business class only (no F).

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
From Vysean's chart above, Europe-Europe is 25K Y, 45K C in the new chart. Not sure if that's a change, too lazy to look at the old chart right now.
Coach award mileage requirements increased by 25%, business by 13%. Or more precisely, they will increase as of 6 January 2010...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Very nicely done, Sean. ^^ Just for grins, could you run an average on each airline's column and see what the overall difference is between them? I'm sure that someone who didn't drink their way through statistics class could propose an infinitely better way to look at it, but that might tell us something until they come along.

One thing you omitted that is very much in CO's favor is the RTW award. At only 280k for an F award (vice 400k on UA or US), that is a very tempting one with CO miles.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
Very nicely done, Sean. ^^ Just for grins, could you run an average on each airline's column and see what the overall difference is between them? I'm sure that someone who didn't drink their way through statistics class could propose an infinitely better way to look at it, but that might tell us something until they come along.
Not sure I understand what you're looking for - you just want the average of the three values (e.g. average of US, UA, and CO costs for a given route/class)?

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
One thing you omitted that is very much in CO's favor is the RTW award. At only 280k for an F award (vice 400k on UA or US), that is a very tempting one with CO miles.
I didn't omit it - I mistakenly placed it under the "North America" origin (it's the last item in there). And yes, it's a fantastic deal. I'm incredibly jealous of CO members with 280k+ in their accounts. ^

Of course, you can get pseudo-RTW itineraries booked on both US and AC, minus the extra three stopovers, so it's not a huge deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.