Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to a 250% Holiday Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by vysean
An excellent idea, and why I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the TrackItBack purchase. I'm going to wait until Monday or Tuesday to do so. Plus I'm trying to figure out if I should go ahead and buy two of them for an extra 42,000 miles.

I note with extreme caution the fine print on the promo that notes US Airways isn't responsible for the date at which miles are credited.
It also says in the fine print that "Bonus miles will be processed on March 1, 2010". So are we supposed to wait till that date for the bonus miles to post?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrwise
It also says in the fine print that "Bonus miles will be processed on March 1, 2010". So are we supposed to wait till that date for the bonus miles to post?
I really should read the fine print more often.

I'm not going to mess with this promo if I have to wait for more than four months to see the miles. Hell, I'm burning down my mileage pile before January just in case.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I really should read the fine print more often.

I'm not going to mess with this promo if I have to wait for more than four months to see the miles. Hell, I'm burning down my mileage pile before January just in case.
Haha. Schadenfreude. It's kind of scary that you've been missing the fine print of the promos lately. First the sharing miles = 1 hit versus 2 hits, now this. Maybe you better burn those miles for a vacation in Tahiti. Or better yet - Tasmania. Great place!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Haha. Schadenfreude. It's kind of scary that you've been missing the fine print of the promos lately. First the sharing miles = 1 hit versus 2 hits, now this. Maybe you better burn those miles for a vacation in Tahiti. Or better yet - Tasmania. Great place!
Yeah, yeah, at least I pay a little more attention at work...

I'll still eek out 28 hits, not so sure about the family member. As for this promo, I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if by chance they post with bonuses - if they do I might bite the bullet on the big one. I've only got 220k in the account and wouldn't mind bumping up and over 300k - 140k to South Pacific in F and a 120k North Asia F, with a little left over for an intra-South Pacific C.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:26 pm

Yeah, yeah, at least I pay a little more attention at work...

I'll still eek out 28 hits, not so sure about the family member. As for this promo, I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if by chance they post with bonuses - if they do I might bite the bullet on the big one. I've only got 220k in the account and wouldn't mind bumping up and over 300k - 140k to South Pacific in F and a 120k North Asia F, with a little left over for an intra-South Pacific C.
See, there's the thing - South Pacific in F just bugs me. At least one direction I always hope to go via NZ. I could still do that and go F the other way but I hate the rub of paying the higher rate for C.

Whether I make 28 hits is going to depend on Vinese which posted the 16th, whether Budget rental posts, and whether Wine Insiders and/or DM Wireless show up. But that belongs in the other thread.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
See, there's the thing - South Pacific in F just bugs me. At least one direction I always hope to go via NZ. I could still do that and go F the other way but I hate the rub of paying the higher rate for C.
There's always US->North Asia in F, connecting in NRT/KIX/HKG to AKL in C to get the NZ experience, with all-F on the return...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:40 pm

There's always US->North Asia in F, connecting in NRT/KIX/HKG to AKL in C to get the NZ experience, with all-F on the return...
Came home from SYD via North Asia as that was all that was available on the date of travel. As much as I like spending time in premium cabins and lounges like the rest of FT, there's something to be said for maximizing your time at your destination. Two long haul 10+ hour flights and a layover versus one? I tend to prefer the one if vacation time is short. Especially if the wife is with me.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Okay, for those interested in doing this (and sincere thanks to Beckles for the review), here's what I did:
  1. $2.00 - US Airways Shopping Mall (GAIAM) - donated a tree
  2. $2.00 - ThanksAgain (restaurant.com) - purchased a $10 gift certificate using coupon "THANKS"
  3. $4.27 - Bose - purchased the 18" headphone extension cable (incl. tax/shipping)
  4. $10.95 - Barnes and Noble - purchased $10 gift card (incl. $0.95 shipping).
  5. $304.94 - TrackItBack - purchased $299.99 Small Business Pack (incl. $4.95 shipping)

Total miles earned:
  • GAIAM - 8 + 4 = 12 (50%)
  • ThanksAgain - 6 + 6 = 12 (100%)
  • Bose - 8 + 12 = 20 (150%)
  • Barnes and Noble - 30 + 60 = 90 (200%)
  • TrackItBack - 12,000 + 30,000 = 42,000 (250%)
  • TOTAL: 42,134 for $324.16, or .7 CPM ($0.00769)

So in the final tally, this is cheaper than the sharing or buying of miles under the 100% bonus plan. It's not as good of a deal as the Grand Slam, but still nothing to sneeze at.
I just did purchases 1-4. I'm going to wait until at least the base miles post (bonus miles not until March, apparently?) and then pull the trigger on that TrackItBack small business package.

Not hating 42,000 miles for $325, that's for sure.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:25 pm

Here's another thing I'm wondering about. Can purchases 1-4 be all made from DM Shopping Mall but different merchants? For example,

1) iTunes
2) Gaiam
3) BestBuy
4) Dell
and for the grand finale:
5) Trackitback

-Kinglobjaw
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:29 pm

Here's what I came up with. Basically, I'm doing this, because I'm sending my dad to KRK Poland for Christmas. With coach fares nearing $1500 I should charge him a $1000 and pocket the ca$hmoney since I already got some decent flights for him. I have spare miles so I'm just hoping to replenish the 50K I used up today!

I just completed:

1) Barnes & Noble $10 gift card
2) Sears $5 gift card
3) Thanksagain purchase iTune through their own portal (will earn miles as I did this from G-Slam)
4) Century 21 Insurance Quote
5) Gaiam $2 donation (part of DM Shopping Mall)
6) Omaha Steaks $5 gift card (as a buffer)
7) Will probably do one more buffer
I'm now going to wait a few more days for some of these to start posting and will then go for the Trackitback. Netflix is also a neat option as it's 1500 miles + bonus for only 9.95.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I'm seeing some different math from different folks and I think it hinges on how we interpret "bonus." For instance, TrackItBack pays 40 miles to the dollar. Some folks are calculating the "bonus" as bringing the total miles per dollar to 100 (40x2.5) while others calculate it as brining the total miles per dollar to 140 (40+40x2.5). The t&cs don't seem to be explicit on this subject, unless I'm missing something.

I think the plain language of the offer indicates that the "bonus" will be 250% above and beyond the base ppm, but you never know what an airline thinks. Thoughts?

Last edited by andyandy; Nov 25, 2009 at 8:06 am Reason: lack of math skill
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Damn Bloggers

Well folks, like the infamous 100 miles/dollar 1-800-Flowers promotion I think this will get pulled early because it's so valuable, which is why when I pointed out the route to 140 miles/dollar I asked:
Originally Posted by Beckles
I would implore any Flyertalker reading this thread to not disseminate what I'm about to post beyond this thread because I can't imagine this will last.
Of course all I can do is ask and hope Flyertalkers have the common courtesy to respect my wishes about something I posted. Last night this blog post appeared. What is simply incredible about this blogger is that they credit vysean for pointing this out. Of course, if you look at the information the blogger posted and compare it to the post vysean posted it in, vysean clearly does the right thing (i.e., crediting the proper source) and credits me for identifying the deal.
Okay, for those interested in doing this (and sincere thanks to Beckles for the review), here's what I did:
I was hoping to keep this deal low key, at least the blogger didn't put too much emphasis on what a ridiculous deal 140 miles/dollar is (even on US).
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:03 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andyandy
I'm seeing some different math from different folks and I think it hinges on how we interpret "bonus." For instance, TrackItBack pays 40 miles to the dollar. Some folks are calculating the "bonus" as bringing the total miles per dollar to 100 (40x2.5) while others calculate it as brining the total miles per dollar to 120 (40+40x2.5). The t&cs don't seem to be explicit on this subject, unless I'm missing something.

I think the plain language of the offer indicates that the "bonus" will be 250% above and beyond the base ppm, but you never know what an airline thinks. Thoughts?
The first math is clearly incorrect, if you only did one partner they are not going to cut your partner miles in half because you only did one partner.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Beckles
The first math is clearly incorrect, if you only did one partner they are not going to cut your partner miles in half because you only did one partner.
Of course, the promotion is quite clear that you must make 5 purchases to get to the 250% bonus. But I think I've answered my own question. At the base level, the bonus is 50%. I can't imagine that the T&Cs contemplate reducing the miles awarded. Consequently, the "bonus" must be above and beyond the base offer, i.e. 40 mpd base + 100 mpd bonus.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold; US TIB; Hyatt Diamond
Some mileage credit cards give you double points for each dollar spent with their retail partners. Does anyone know if this is the case with US's Premier World MasterCard? The language on the sign-up offer says "earn double miles on all US Airways purchases" - does that mean flights only?

If they do allow double points on retail, this could to be too good to pass up: ((40*2)+(40x2.5)) = 180

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.