Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by hugedrive24
Just made the following booking:

YUL-BRU AC J
Open-Jaw
AMS-FRA LH J
FRA-BKK TG F (A380)
BKK-HKG TG F (A380)
HKG-HND (destination)NH C
NRT-ICN OZ F
ICN-ORD OZ F
ORD-YUL AC J

Agent was very helpful. Told me she appreciated that I had done my research prior to calling.

120,000 miles per person + $180 tx & fees
Nice work. I hope that means stopovers/open jaws can be in a more expensive region, since YUL-HND is a North Asia award and is 120k but a European award would be 125k. So you are stopping in Europe but actually save 5k.

If I was to ditch HKG on my LHR-BKK-HKG routing then I know LHR-BKK would definitely be 110k. But could I do LHR-NRT-BKK in order to try out ANA? Is NRT a valid connection or is it too out of the way?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by LondonMiles
If I was to ditch HKG on my LHR-BKK-HKG routing then I know LHR-BKK would definitely be 110k. But could I do LHR-NRT-BKK in order to try out ANA? Is NRT a valid connection or is it too out of the way?
Please read at least post #1! Check out, if this routing appears here:

The Star Alliance Website Flight Planning page - http://www.staralliance.com/en/booking/flight-search/
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Please read at least post #1! Check out, if this routing appears here:

The Star Alliance Website Flight Planning page - http://www.staralliance.com/en/booking/flight-search/

Yes it is on there but what with the cracking down on MPM and stopovers in more expensive regions etc I was not sure if that FAQ is completely up to date since it has not been updated for around a year. For instance, 8 segments seems to be the maximum (not 10) and MPM is now enforced.

Anyway, LHR-NRT-BKK does not seem too controversial since it's on the *A planner and although LHR-NRT is more miles than LHR-BKK, I guess that does not matter if there are no stopovers involved.

Last edited by LondonMiles; Nov 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
im trying to find a flight from LAX-BKK in F class from any dates around dec 15th. can be 4-6 days flexiblity. but i cant find any. can someone help me out? and what is the best routing for first class. thanks
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Great value

Originally Posted by hugedrive24
Just made the following booking:

YUL-BRU AC J
Open-Jaw
AMS-FRA LH J
FRA-BKK TG F (A380)
BKK-HKG TG F (A380)
HKG-HND (destination)NH C
NRT-ICN OZ F
ICN-ORD OZ F
ORD-YUL AC J

Agent was very helpful. Told me she appreciated that I had done my research prior to calling.

120,000 miles per person + $180 tx & fees
Well found
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by frankpark9
im trying to find a flight from LAX-BKK in F class from any dates around dec 15th. can be 4-6 days flexiblity. but i cant find any. can someone help me out? and what is the best routing for first class. thanks
use awardtravelr.com, and they have an option to select for multiple days and will give you all the options. a friend of mine was able to get some availability on Seattle-NRT-bkk for approximate dates around then, but this was a few days ago (and seats were few and far between already). also check lax-icn-bkk.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's also quite possible that MPM is going to be different from the United States. UA allows TATL on both legs to South Asia from the USA, for instance- which is more mileage from someplace like SFO than allowing TATL one way, TPAC the other.
MPM is calculated per direction and there are separate numbers for travel via the Atlantic and travel via the Pacific.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:59 am
bxs

Ive got the following booked in a mixture of first and biz class. My account has been charged 90k miles + 243taxes. I also checked the award chart and it seems that more miles should have been deducted? Will my award be cancelled or run into any problems down the track? Im not familiar with the system so can the expert please advise.. Thanks.

BKK-FRA(DEST)
FRA-ICN-NGO(S/OVER)
NGO-BKK
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by bxs
BKK-FRA(DEST)
FRA-ICN-NGO(S/OVER)
NGO-BKK
I would not say anything that they charged you too less miles - you just did not nitice it!
If you call them you risk that they notice that the stopover in NGO is not according USDM rules and could refuse you the ticket...

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Nov 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mtkeller
MPM is calculated per direction and there are separate numbers for travel via the Atlantic and travel via the Pacific.
Which may be what allows RTW travel via Europe.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bxs
Ive got the following booked in a mixture of first and biz class. My account has been charged 90k miles + 243taxes. I also checked the award chart and it seems that more miles should have been deducted? Will my award be cancelled or run into any problems down the track? Im not familiar with the system so can the expert please advise.. Thanks.

BKK-FRA(DEST)
FRA-ICN-NGO(S/OVER)
NGO-BKK
sometimes they make a mistake. that happened to me last year. i wouldnt say anything
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:16 pm

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this Itinerary. I don't know if it quite comes under the MPM allowed from SYD-LAX (11242 ??)

SYD-BKK (F)
BKK-ICN (J)
ICN-LAX (F) - Destination
LAX-HNL (J) - Stopover
HNL-ICN (F)
ICN-BKK (J) - A380
BKK-SYD (F)

I'm really keen on doing the above to experience F (no F on the direct SYD-LAX UA flight) and also doing the stopover at HNL on the way home.

Problem is that SYD-BKK-ICN-LAX seems to be more than the MPM (~11242), and likewise for the route home. Which then only leaves SYD-LAX via direct with UA as only option.

Also, the only way from HNL-SYD is either via AKL or ICN/NRT. Since there is no Award seats on Air NZ, only way would be via ICN/NRT which would (?) exceed MPM.

I understand HNL is not a hub, but past experience here seems its not really an issue in getting a stopover there. Otherwise could change destination to HNL and stopover in LAX.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:42 pm
bxs

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
I would not say anything that they charged you too less miles - you just did not nitice it!
If you call them you risk that they notice that the stopover in NGO is not according USDM rules and could refuse you the ticket...
I just checked my booking and US confirmed that it was booked into (O)first class.When I called OZ to select seats, I was told (and they sent me their itinerary) showing it is booked into (I)biz class. Is there anything I can do to try and sort this out? The agents in OZ says they can't do anything and US says their system is showing the correct booking so there is nothing they can do as well!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bxs
I just checked my booking and US confirmed that it was booked into (O)first class.When I called OZ to select seats, I was told (and they sent me their itinerary) showing it is booked into (I)biz class. Is there anything I can do to try and sort this out? The agents in OZ says they can't do anything and US says their system is showing the correct booking so there is nothing they can do as well!
Has there been an aircraft change which only has business and coach now? I had the same thing happen recently when my UA flight was changed to a (former) CO operated flight with two classes only. CO mapped it across into businessfirst still with the (O) booking class (I guess in case the flight changed back to a three class later??)

If it is a downgrade not a lot you can do about it for that flight, just change it to another flight with F if you can. Initially US didn't want to do anything because as you say, they still saw it in (O) class. However I explained it was now a CO flight and they went away and checked (I think they called UA to confirm). They then changed me to another routing without any issue (luckily there were award seats available).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Insaneous
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this Itinerary. I don't know if it quite comes under the MPM allowed from SYD-LAX (11242 ??)

SYD-BKK (F)
BKK-ICN (J)
ICN-LAX (F) - Destination
LAX-HNL (J) - Stopover
HNL-ICN (F)
ICN-BKK (J) - A380
BKK-SYD (F)

I'm really keen on doing the above to experience F (no F on the direct SYD-LAX UA flight) and also doing the stopover at HNL on the way home.

Problem is that SYD-BKK-ICN-LAX seems to be more than the MPM (~11242), and likewise for the route home. Which then only leaves SYD-LAX via direct with UA as only option.

Also, the only way from HNL-SYD is either via AKL or ICN/NRT. Since there is no Award seats on Air NZ, only way would be via ICN/NRT which would (?) exceed MPM.

I understand HNL is not a hub, but past experience here seems its not really an issue in getting a stopover there. Otherwise could change destination to HNL and stopover in LAX.

Thoughts?
should be ok. most USDM agents are well aware UA premium seats are hard to find so will look via Asia for you. The only might be the stopover in HNL (not a star hub) - but as always YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.