Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:12 am

The last time I booked there was no phone ticketing fee... can't remember about the times before that.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by KL803
The call center in Europe has never charged booking fees until this week. See my post here.
Like KL I had an itinerary on hold on Tuesday and when I phoned up to book on Thursday I was told there was a new booking fee of $50. Having read the above post, I asked it to be waived; this was declined by a rather aggressive agent. Second agent waived it straight away (and charged half the taxes the first agent had asked for).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi,

is the following itinerary allowed?

DFW-FRA (LH) - BRU - KGL (SN) and then, way back, BUJ - KGL (SA) - BRU (stopover) - ORD (SN) - DFW (UA)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Hi,

is the following itinerary allowed?

DFW-FRA (LH) - BRU - KGL (SN) and then, way back, BUJ - KGL (SA) - BRU (stopover) - ORD (SN) - DFW (UA)?

Thanks!
nope. you can have either a stopover OR an open jaw. You'd need to close the KGL-BUJ in order to have a stopover in BRU on the way back.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
nope. you can have either a stopover OR an open jaw. You'd need to close the KGL-BUJ in order to have a stopover in BRU on the way back.
Got it!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Can you still change parts of a ticketed booking without having to redeposit the miles ?

The reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago I was trying to get a class upgrade ,

I have paid for first but one short leg was in Y , when I spoke to multiple agents not only was I told I needed to pay $150 (which is not worth it for a 2 hour flight) But I would also need to redeposit the miles and make a whole new booking .

Is this a new policy , when I questioned one agent she went off to speak to a supervisor who confirmed I would need to redeposit and book a whole new ticket ....
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianp
Can you still change parts of a ticketed booking without having to redeposit the miles ?

I have paid for first but one short leg was in Y , when I spoke to multiple agents not only was I told I needed to pay $150 (which is not worth it for a 2 hour flight) But I would also need to redeposit the miles and make a whole new booking .

Is this a new policy , when I questioned one agent she went off to speak to a supervisor who confirmed I would need to redeposit and book a whole new ticket ....
this is confusing and I don't know the answer. You'd think they could just change the one sector. I have done it before - upgraded one leg when it went from single to double class aircraft, they agent just made the chenge there and then. Others have reported agents telling them they have to cancel the whole thing and then rebook. I don't know why they would have to do that - they could just change the one leg as they do when you have a schedule change.

Maybe they're worried that if they rebook one leg in F before cancelling the one in Y that they have created a duplicate booking (even if for one minute)?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:26 pm

this is confusing and I don't know the answer. You'd think they could just change the one sector. I have done it before - upgraded one leg when it went from single to double class aircraft, they agent just made the chenge there and then. Others have reported agents telling them they have to cancel the whole thing and then rebook. I don't know why they would have to do that - they could just change the one leg as they do when you have a schedule change.

Maybe they're worried that if they rebook one leg in F before cancelling the one in Y that they have created a duplicate booking (even if for one minute)?
I was mystified as well , It puts a whole new light on bookings if you cant change it at all without redepositing miles and starting again.

Maybe as I have no status and a mile purchaser they are not as flexible as CP members ?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was mystified as well , It puts a whole new light on bookings if you cant change it at all without redepositing miles and starting again.

Maybe as I have no status and a mile purchaser they are not as flexible as CP members ?
they can certainly change bookings without cancelling - they often do this for schedule changes. No problem at all with that!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:09 pm
zlc

they can certainly change bookings without cancelling - they often do this for schedule changes. No problem at all with that!
I recently have to change a flight due to schedule change, and I noticed they re-issued the ticket, ie, new ticket numbers.

So technically they might have to do a cancel and rebook, but it may just happen at the same time (seat never released) so nobody even had a chance to jump in and grab your seat during the process.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Was told that years ago when trying to change flights (and willing to pay the $150 change fee, since it put me into LX F on a night flight instead of LH F on a day flight). HUACA.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Was told that years ago when trying to change flights (and willing to pay the $150 change fee, since it put me into LX F on a night flight instead of LH F on a day flight). HUACA.
I did HUACA , I called 6 times so gave up .....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did HUACA , I called 6 times so gave up .....
oh, yeah... unfortunately if an agent puts notes into your booking then if can be near impossible to get them to change, huaca sometimes doesn't work.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Bumping a question that was buried in a post I had a few pages back -- looking for some insight into a couple of options I have for long-haul flights in my award booking:

1) C on OZ's (two-cabin from SFO-ICN, which generally has the QS seats unless there's an equipment swap) 777-200LR vs. F in UA's 747-400?

2) F in CA's 747-400 -- I'm having trouble finding reviews of the F cabin on this plane -- has anyone had experience with it? I saw tommyleo's trip report of F in CA's 777, which looked great, but worried that this cabin might be tired if the 74's haven't been updated.

Last edited by LM225; Feb 11, 2013 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by LM225
Bumping a question that was buried in a post I had a few pages back -- looking for some insight into a couple of options I have for long-haul flights in my award booking:

1) C on OZ's (two-cabin) 777-200LR vs. F in UA's 747-400?
Since you were asking about OZ ICN-SFO you are talking the nicest C seats out there. I would pick OZ C ICN-SFO any day over UA F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.