Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
US usually can't see NH PNR, a known problem.
Skip the last number, that's the control number. Enter the first 13 numbers, like this: 037 xxxx xxx xxx .
Originally Posted by geo1005
If concerned, call each airline directly and confirm your flights/seats for each flight. And (again for each airline) ask them to add your email address to the record and send you a copy of the itinerary.
Thanks both.

I tried omitting the last digit by ANA's site still threw up an error message.

*Selected reservation cannot be confirmed.(A_RL_1A_002A)
I called them and they confirmed my booking and gave me the 6-character confirmation code. Strangely enough when I plugged this back into their site I got the error message again. Maybe their website is having issues.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by FIGWSJ11

Again, she refused to book it, claiming

1. According to her chart Korea to Atlanta is (North America to South Asia) and it will cost 120,000 miles not 90,000.

Any insight? Thanks so much!
Your US domestic flights are booked into first class (O). That's why the computer quoted 120K miles. Tell US agents these are domestic two-cabin flights and they can manually override the computer. It should not be too hard for US agents to budge because these are their own flights.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
guys i would like to book 2 award coach tickets from phl or ewr to bom or del.

outbound Feb 8 or 7
return Feb 15 or 16

the US air agent said those dates are not allowed. i have read they do not take the time needed to get the dates. Can someone help me find award seats? or show me how to search, i cannot do the ANA search because i have not points with them.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by joejoe666

outbound Feb 8 or 7
return Feb 15 or 16

the US air agent said those dates are not allowed. i have read they do not take the time needed to get the dates. Can someone help me find award seats? or show me how to search, i cannot do the ANA search because i have not points with them.
u can go to united.com and search for award availability that way. you need to look for saver award availability... that is usually available for partners to book. break your journey down if necessary, so you look for [major USA gateway] to your India destination, then look for connecting flights (or call us air for the connecting flights)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(

outbound Feb 8 or 7
return Feb 15 or 16

Try united.com . It is looking pretty dry those days.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt, Silver MR and HH, SW A List

outbound Feb 8 or 7
return Feb 15 or 16

Just ran a search on ANA for you and there were no award tickets on your dates from EWR to DEL visible at this time.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:07 pm

1. According to her chart Korea to Atlanta is (North America to South Asia) and it will cost 120,000 miles not 90,000.
2. I can't layover at LAX because I transited through there on the outbound.

Any insight? Thanks so much!
Korea is in North Asia: Hang Up and Call Again!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Thank you!

Just wanted to say thank you to all of those who helped me construct this reservation. I just hung up with Gold Preferred who just ticketed me a two-week Asian itin.

Final details were:

4/23 US2281 SYR-CLT F
4/23 US1439 CLT-LAX F (<24 hr stopover)
4/24 OZ201 LAX-ICN F (<24 hr stopover)
4/26 OZ106 ICN-NRT C (official stopover)
5/1 OZ101 NRT-ICN F
5/1 OZ745 ICN-HKG C (destination)
5/6 CA118 HKG-PEK C
5/6 CA987 PEK-LAX F (<24 hr stopover)
5/7 US708 LAX-PHL F
5/7 US4016 PHL-SYR Y

10 segments, 120k miles, $105 in taxes. Special thanks to Tommyleo for the inspiration to travel alone in F class across a few carriers. I really wanted to add an NH or TG flight in there, but just couldnt make it happen. We'll see how CA's F class is on that return trip home.

This forum represents the best in Flyertalk. I've learned so much about complex Asian routings from here. Kudos to everyone for keeping the knowledge base going!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Just wanted to say thank you to all of those who helped me construct this reservation. I just hung up with Gold Preferred who just ticketed me a two-week Asian itin.

Final details were:

4/23 US2281 SYR-CLT F
4/23 US1439 CLT-LAX F (<24 hr stopover)
4/24 OZ201 LAX-ICN F (<24 hr stopover)
4/26 OZ106 ICN-NRT C (official stopover)
5/1 OZ101 NRT-ICN F
5/1 OZ745 ICN-HKG C (destination)
5/6 CA118 HKG-PEK C
5/6 CA987 PEK-LAX F (<24 hr stopover)
5/7 US708 LAX-PHL F
5/7 US4016 PHL-SYR Y

10 segments, 120k miles, $105 in taxes. Special thanks to Tommyleo for the inspiration to travel alone in F class across a few carriers. I really wanted to add an NH or TG flight in there, but just couldnt make it happen. We'll see how CA's F class is on that return trip home.

This forum represents the best in Flyertalk. I've learned so much about complex Asian routings from here. Kudos to everyone for keeping the knowledge base going!
this seems to confirm my current thinking that just about any routing will be allowed these days as long as you stay within MPM? Many of the old rules (8 segments, most direct routing) seem to have gone out the window
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
US Air getting tough !!

I have just been on the phone attempting to get a class upgrade with no success .

I booked 2 First class returns in June last year,
BNE-BKK-MUC-FRA-ORD-DEN -dest - DEN-ORD-LHR stop-LHR-FRA-BKK-BNE
all the seats were In first except one small leg between DEN and ORD on UA , I could only get one first and one coach seat , I was checking availability and UA have changed the flight number and opened up one more first seat , so I got on the phone to US air , I tried 4 agents and each one insisted that I would have redeposit the miles and rebook the whole trip if I wanted to change the seat from coach to first.

Looks like the agents are getting tough !!

Last edited by ianp; Jan 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
HUACA!
If not successful - or stupid Rep made remarks in your PNR about this change - ask for Supervisor!
OK, so I did the HUACA, and the new rep agreed that Korea is indeed in North Asia (lol) and booked me the outbound

1/13 ICN-LAX
LAX-PHX
PHX-ATL

However, she refused to add the ATL-LAX on the 8th with a stopover in LAX (3days) before I continued back to ICN on the 12th. She said "you can't layover in a city that is in the same region as the destination. So, as ATL is destination (North America) I can't layover in North America."

Not really wanting to argue anymore I didn't push it, have spent 3 hours on the phone already. Does anyone know if this stopover restriction (not in same region as destination) is valid?

Thanks again to all!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
She said "you can't layover in a city that is in the same region as the destination. So, as ATL is destination (North America) I can't layover in North America."

Not really wanting to argue anymore I didn't push it, have spent 3 hours on the phone already. Does anyone know if this stopover restriction (not in same region as destination) is valid?
Well that can't be true, I just booked a stopover (5 nights) in Tokyo and a destination in Hong Kong last night. Both are in North Asia.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
However, she refused to add the ATL-LAX on the 8th with a stopover in LAX (3days) before I continued back to ICN on the 12th. She said "you can't layover in a city that is in the same region as the destination. So, as ATL is destination (North America) I can't layover in North America."
The rules are:

Stopovers
1.For travel within the continental U.S., Canada and Alaska, a stopover is defined as a stay of more than 4 hours between connections (if there is a connecting flight available within 4 hours). If you’re traveling outside the continental U.S., Canada and Alaska, a stopover is defined as a stay of more than 24 hours between connections.
2.Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or for multi-city travel.
3.For travel outside the continental U.S., Canada and Alaska, you’re allowed one stopover per US Airways itinerary at a US Airways gateway or international destination (or in a partner hub city if you’re traveling on an award partner). US Airways hub/international gateway cities include Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix. Please call Reservations for additional US Airways international gateways and partner hub cities.
4.Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel.
5.Stopovers must be included in the reservation when you book. You may not add a stopover once an award has been ticketed.
6.With Star Alliance Round-the-World awards, you’re allowed five stopovers in a forward direction toward the original departure city.

Is your "layover" actually a stopover by their definition in rule 1? If so, is that in addition to another stopover? If so, it shouldn't be allowed as I read the rules.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:00 am

I think the rule of thumb should be changed from HUACA to HUACAACAACAACAACA...

Certainly that's what I had to use for my last award...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so I did the HUACA, and the new rep agreed that Korea is indeed in North Asia (lol) and booked me the outbound

1/13 ICN-LAX
LAX-PHX
PHX-ATL

Thanks again to all!
you cannot stopover where the entire award is in a single zone. when it is multi zone you can stopover within a zone. if you want it just ring back and say you have changed your mind and would like to add a stopover in lax before you ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.