Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by NotThatGuy2012
I don't think this has been posted yet and this is certainly first time I've noticed the following statement on US's "Airline partners award travel chart" (PDF downloadable from http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/.../usemiles.html). At the bottom of the chart,
Notes
1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable.
Sad, but on a more positive note, maybe this official communication will end all the repetitive questions about LH F posted here.
At least there is now some official notice on F redemptions. Not much good news.Maybe in our dreams LX F would be more available...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:29 pm

I don't think this has been posted yet and this is certainly first time I've noticed the following statement on US's "Airline partners award travel chart" (PDF downloadable from http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/.../usemiles.html). At the bottom of the chart,
Notes
1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable.
Sad, but on a more positive note, maybe this official communication will end all the repetitive questions about LH F posted here.
Good spot. Like you say, probably for the best that they have made it formal, even though it is unfortunate that those awards are no more. I hope other *A partners continue to have access so at least are ways of obtaining LH F using miles.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:30 pm

Routings from the west coast of the US/Canada to Africa via the Pacific used to be possible, but some/all may no longer be depending on MPM enforcement, and I've been wondering about these routings myself lately. It's also possible that the IST connection may be your issue. I've previously ticketed SFO-JNB in J (SFO-YVR-NRT (stop) NRT-HKG-JNB/JNB-SIN-NRT-SFO, which sounds very similar to what you want) but I'm not sure whether this would violate the new MPM as I don't have the kinds of subscriptions one needs to find out.

(Incidentally--if a kind soul who can check would be so kind as to look up the MPM for SFO-JNB, it would be much appreciated by more than one person, it seems.)

I'd try HUACA in the meantime.

Originally Posted by 1dream
I'm trying to get from SFO to JNB July 2 2013 staying there for 2 weeks and then going JNB - HKG (via Singapore) for 10 days and then returning from HKG to SFO the first week in August.

I called and e agent told me that to get to South Africa I had to fly through Europe (where there is basically no availability in the summer from USA). There does appear to be space available on the mex-fra-IST-JNB route. Would is be possible? Flying from Sfo-icn-IST-JNB has space but the agent said I can't fly that way???? True???
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
Which airline were you trying to fly into BKK? SQ or TG?

Technically, you can only have stopover in a city that is a *A hub, and you need to fly into that city with the airline that uses the destination as a hub. For BKK, it is TG. So technically SQ cannot be used to fly into BKK for a stopover. Though it's definitely HUACA.
Thanks--I thought about that on the call and I specifically asked the agent to try both SQ and TG for the SIN-BKK segment for that reason. I have no idea whether she did in fact try both--she may have only sent SQ to the rate desk. Either way, what she said was that "BKK is not a valid stopover point on awards to DPS," which still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
(Incidentally--if a kind soul who can check would be so kind as to look up the MPM for SFO-JNB, it would be much appreciated by more than one person, it seems.)
Here you go.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: SFO-JNB]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      AT   12656   13288   13921   14554   15187   15820     
MPM      PA   15966   16764   17562   18360   19159   19957
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thanks! As promised, much appreciated. ^

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Here you go.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: SFO-JNB]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      AT   12656   13288   13921   14554   15187   15820     
MPM      PA   15966   16764   17562   18360   19159   19957
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
A little help in Asia?

OK. I've done a ton of research both by using united.com and KVS and I thought I had a really good solid booking. Its as follows:

4/23 US2281 SYR-CLT F
4/23 US1439 CLT-LAX F ( <24 hr stop over)
4/24 OZ201 LAX-ICN F ( <24 hr stop over)
4/25 OZ106 ICN-NRT C (real stopover)
5/1 NH1171 HND-HKG C (destination)
**alternatively 5/1 NH/NQ 909 NRT-HKG C - though i wasnt sure if I could get a code share ANA with Air Japan to book
5/6 CA118 HKG-PEK F
5/6 CA987 PEK-LAX F (<24 hr stop over)
5/8 US708 LAX-PHL F
5/8 US4016 PHL-SYR Y

I can book everything up to the NH (ANA) flight fine when calling an agent. I cannot get any availability on NH1171 or NH909 at all. Though they show available (saver award) on united.com in C class, and show available on KVS Awards/Upgrades too. I asked the agent for any flights from HND or NRT to HKG and she said there was no availability on anything she could see.

Whats my best course of action here? Try to find something indirect from Tokyo to Hong Kong on 5/1 with F or C availability? I was worried that another indirect flight would put me over MPM?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I can book everything up to the NH (ANA) flight fine when calling an agent. I cannot get any availability on NH1171 or NH909 at all.
Are those both Air Japan flights? US generally can't book Air Japan. I don't believe it's formally defined as impossible (as LH F apparently just was) but it's not really a HUACA thing.

Whats my best course of action here? Try to find something indirect from Tokyo to Hong Kong on 5/1 with F or C availability? I was worried that another indirect flight would put me over MPM?
What it will put you over is maximum number of flights. Many agents won't give you the itin you listed because it's 9 flights, but occasionally one will let you get away with it. 10 flights, pretty darn unlikely.

Unfortunately, Japan/HK is a toughie. We had this exact question last June when we wanted to go HKG-KIX but this would have meant 27hrs in HKG (and US thus considered this a 2nd stopover) - I know you're talking about NRT but IIRC the situation was similar there. We ended up going HKG-BKK-KIX on TG, which was a lovely ride even if 1000mi in the wrong direction. Even this was tense, since it meant we had 9 flights instead of 8, and that required some HUACA'ing.

If all else fails, you could remove one or two domestic segments, buy them separately, and then use your remaining segments to add NRT-BKK-HKG or NRT-ICN-HKG...

I assume you've already tried rearranging your stops, or that your schedule requires this specific order of them? I.e. perhaps LAX-PEK-HKG (destination) -NRT (stopover) in that order.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous - Platinum, Gamblers Anonymous - Gold
Originally Posted by shaggy_mutt
What it will put you over is maximum number of flights. Many agents won't give you the itin you listed because it's 9 flights, but occasionally one will let you get away with it. 10 flights, pretty darn unlikely.
I thought the limit was 10 segments?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Notes
As LH is not blocking for starnet/partners in general it would still be interesting to know whether this was a decision by LH or US. In any case it seems unique in the whole alliance.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I can book everything up to the NH (ANA) flight fine when calling an agent. I cannot get any availability on NH1171 or NH909 at all.

Are those both Air Japan flights? US generally can't book Air Japan. I don't believe it's formally defined as impossible (as LH F apparently just was) but it's not really a HUACA thing.
NH909 is code shared with Air Japan. NH1171 is a regular ANA flight. She couldnt even see 909 in her system (ok, fair enough), and NH1171 shows avail on KVS and united.com, but not in the agent's screen.

I assume you've already tried rearranging your stops, or that your schedule requires this specific order of them? I.e. perhaps LAX-PEK-HKG (destination) -NRT (stopover) in that order.
Yeah, its the HKG-NRT that I have the same problem with. No availability, or only on the ANA flight(s).

Last edited by bkafrick; Jan 3, 2013 at 9:16 am Reason: minor edits
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:02 am

OK so I'm looking for some insight or any help on this reward booking problem.

Booked business class award: North America to North Asia (Korea) 90,000 miles

1/15 ICN-NRT UA 882
NRT-YYZ AC 02
YYZ-ATL AC 8627 (This flight booked in coach as there was no availability in business)

2/12 LAX-SFO UA 800
SFO-ICN OZ 213

Call in today to make a change, there is business and FC availability, the agent confirmed it, but refuses to book it claiming..see below after the changes I want to make.

1/13 ICN-LAX TG 692 (Business)
LAX-PHX US 016 (FC)
PHX-ATL US 614 (FC)

Return:

2/8 ATL-PHX US 088 (FC)
PHX-LAX US 027 (FC)

LAYOVER

2/12 LAX-SFO UA 800
SFO-ICN OZ 213

Again, she refused to book it, claiming

1. According to her chart Korea to Atlanta is (North America to South Asia) and it will cost 120,000 miles not 90,000.
2. I can't layover at LAX because I transited through there on the outbound.

Any insight? Thanks so much!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Having previously had a problem with a UA award booking (traveling on LH) that had not been ticketed properly (cue heart palpitations at airport) I am now a little paranoid in checking award bookings.

On 12/29 I called US and booked EWR-FRA-BKK-HND/NRT-JFK for July. The US Airways agent could give me confirmation numbers for UA (EWR-FRA) and TG (FRA-BKK-HND) but not for NH (NRT-JFK). I called again today (about something different) but asked again if they had a confirmation number for this segment, and they said no. I asked for the ticket numbers, and they gave me one for EWR-HND and another for NRT-JFK. The ANA site allows you to search for a reservation by ticket number, but the site wants a 13-digit number whereas US have me a 14-digit one.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether I should be doing anything more to check this is all ok? I don't do this very often at all, so don't know how concerned to be (if at all).

Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by FIGWSJ11
Again, she refused to book it, claiming

1. According to her chart Korea to Atlanta is (North America to South Asia) and it will cost 120,000 miles not 90,000.
2. I can't layover at LAX because I transited through there on the outbound.

Any insight? Thanks so much!
HUACA!
If not successful - or stupid Rep made remarks in your PNR about this change - ask for Supervisor!

Originally Posted by User Name
but not for NH (NRT-JFK). I called again today (about something different) but asked again if they had a confirmation number for this segment, and they said no. I asked for the ticket numbers, and they gave me one for EWR-HND and another for NRT-JFK. The ANA site allows you to search for a reservation by ticket number, but the site wants a 13-digit number whereas US have me a 14-digit one.
US usually can't see NH PNR, a known problem.
Skip the last number, that's the control number. Enter the first 13 numbers, like this: 037 xxxx xxx xxx .
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by User Name
Does anyone have any ideas as to whether I should be doing anything more to check this is all ok? I don't do this very often at all, so don't know how concerned to be (if at all).

Thanks.
If concerned, call each airline directly and confirm your flights/seats for each flight. And (again for each airline) ask them to add your email address to the record and send you a copy of the itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.