Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by burlax
Stopovers are not possible - has to be *A hub.
It's always worth trying. Sometimes the phone agent will allow a stopover at a non-*A hub. It's hit-or-miss.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by biggdeebee
I'm trying to book an award ticket and I had a question about times between connecting flights. The flight is on July 29 from ZAG-FRA and arrives at 09:15 and the connecting flight is FRA-ORD that leaves at 10:40. Is this enough time between flights or should I look for something else. Also what happens if you miss the connecting flight on an award ticket.
90 mins at fra should be ok if everything is running smoothly. if your inbound is late it might start to get a bit tricky. it doesn't matter you are on an award ticket... if all your flights are in the one ticket you will be reaccommodated if you miss your connection.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: US CP, HH/SPG/MR Gold
Originally Posted by biggdeebee
I'm trying to book an award ticket and I had a question about times between connecting flights. The flight is on July 29 from ZAG-FRA and arrives at 09:15 and the connecting flight is FRA-ORD that leaves at 10:40. Is this enough time between flights or should I look for something else. Also what happens if you miss the connecting flight on an award ticket.
Despite the notorious long treks at FRA you should be fine. While much depends on which terminals you arrive/depart at, assuming no delays 1h 25m is enough time. If on the same ticket/PNR the airline will re-book you on a later flight if you misconnect, but you could be a lower priority that a paid ticket in case of irreg ops. Status helps in those situations. I would not do this with two separate tickets.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
don't worry - it won't open up.
Doesn't LH F still open up a few days ahead? Last summer I was due to fly SEA-FRA and noticed that F was becoming available less than 14 days ahead , so I waited and managed to snag a one-way F redemption using United miles.

Has this changed?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:08 am

General rule of thumb is no LH F using US miles.

Edit: except BKK-KUL/SGN v.v.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Good call on Thai! If you route NRT-BKK-FRA you should be able to get F the whole way and the awesome ground service at Suvarnabhumi (golf carts from the plane to the Royal First lounge/spa and back to the plane.) ICN-BKK doesn't have F.
Thanks for this.

So, do you think the following routing would be acceptable or would it involve too many miles or too much backtracking?

BDL-ORD-ICN (destination) - 7334 mi
ICN-NRT-BKK-FRA (stopover) - 9271 mi
FRA-PHL-BRD - 4144 mi

Perhaps it would look like less backtracking if NRT was actually my final destination, although I'd prefer ICN as I've visited Tokyo before.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: M&M
If you are using Dividend Miles or other * programs other than Miles and More, your chance of getting LH F beyond 14 days horizon is zero.
LH makes LH F available for other * partners 14 days at the earlist.
In addition to that, US's reluctance to issue expensive LH F award is well-known.

Originally Posted by User Name
Doesn't LH F still open up a few days ahead? Last summer I was due to fly SEA-FRA and noticed that F was becoming available less than 14 days ahead , so I waited and managed to snag a one-way F redemption using United miles.

Has this changed?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Thanks for this.

So, do you think the following routing would be acceptable or would it involve too many miles or too much backtracking?

FRA-PHL-BRD - 4144 mi

Perhaps it would look like less backtracking if NRT was actually my final destination, although I'd prefer ICN as I've visited Tokyo before.
Backtracking is more of an issue with "around the world" type tickets. This on the other-hand is a regular North Asia award that happens to have a creative routing, not an RTW. If standard awards prohibited backtracking all together, then even straightforward routings such as BOS-FRA-LHR wouldn't be allowed! So I think as long as you're not going back across an ocean you should be okay.

If for any reason you get push-back when calling to book, politely hang up, call back and try again with a different agent.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks for this.

FRA-PHL-BRD - 4144 mi

icn-NRT-bkk-fra may be an issue. in days gone by I would have said this didn't have much chance (many agents used to check the star alliance booking tool, and I have a feeling 'icn-fra probably didn't route via NRT and bkk!), but nowadays they seem to be allowing a lot more creative routings, but enforcing MPM. give it a go and see.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
FRA-PHL-BRD - 4144 mi
Invalid routing!
Either one Openjaw or one Stopover!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Invalid routing!
Either one Openjaw or one Stopover!
Typo! Should have said 'BDL'.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:02 pm
soy

Programs: various
Thanks for this.

FRA-PHL-BRD - 4144 mi

5 segments on the return may cause issue, especially when outbound is 2
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
I recently booked 5 segments outbound (and 3 on the return) without any trouble.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is this a legal routing from US to North Asia for 90,000 miles in J?

LAS-ORD-ARN (stop for less than 24 hours in Stockholm) - BCN

surface segment/open jaw

FCO-FRA-ALA (Almaty) (Destination)

ALA-ICN-SFO-LAS
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
"Flight NH 911 does not exist" said the agent - codeshare issue

Right now I have the following outbound on May 27 in C:
SJC-NRT NH 1075
HND-HKG NH 1171 (next day)

I used awardnexus and found NH 911 direct and it showed it was available on AC, UA and NH. When I called the first time I was told "that flight does not exist." I asked her to check again and she said she could not find it. Of course I hung up and called back and then found out that the flight was available for purchase but not for miles. I called back one more time and found out it is a codeshare with Air Japan and therefore it is not something I can book with miles.

Can UA, AC and NH miles book it but US cannot?

I am on the dreamliner on NH out of SJC and wanted to keep that leg, but I am not going to stay overnight in Tokyo if I can help it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.