Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
I don't think it's necessary that every country is listed to which zone it belongs. i.ex. to what zones should Nigeria, Brazil or Saudi Arabia belong to? Should be clear to everyone! I guess little geography knowledge is a requirement, before you even plan to book a flight abroad.
Perhaps I was a little vague in what I meant in the earlier post. I, by no means, am geographic illiterate, but there are some areas which do not fall cleanly into the published regions. For instance, whilst Saudi Arabia clearly falls into the Middle East category, what about regions such as Tunisia, Egypt, Libya or Turkey. For argument's sake, is Libya in the Africa region or Middle East? It easily has claim to both of these regions, with the other countries mentioned also able to be placed in multiple regions. While we may know that a certain country falls into a certain region (such as IST), there is no consistency in which regions are assigned.

Another example is the case of Guam and Saipan. Whilst Guam and Saipan are roughly 100 miles apart, they are classed in vastly different regions.

Is there some chart which displays what territory/country is in what region? As mentioned in my previous post, there is obviously no reason to state that certain countries belong to certain regions (e.g. France is obviously in Europe, Nigeria is obviously in Africa).

Ah well, I guess I'll have to keep calling whenever I want to find out what place is where!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by nicksname
Perhaps I was a little vague in what I meant in the earlier post. I, by no means, am geographic illiterate, but there are some areas which do not fall cleanly into the published regions. For instance, whilst Saudi Arabia clearly falls into the Middle East category, what about regions such as Tunisia, Egypt, Libya or Turkey. For argument's sake, is Libya in the Africa region or Middle East? It easily has claim to both of these regions, with the other countries mentioned also able to be placed in multiple regions. While we may know that a certain country falls into a certain region (such as IST), there is no consistency in which regions are assigned.

Another example is the case of Guam and Saipan. Whilst Guam and Saipan are roughly 100 miles apart, they are classed in vastly different regions.

Is there some chart which displays what territory/country is in what region? As mentioned in my previous post, there is obviously no reason to state that certain countries belong to certain regions (e.g. France is obviously in Europe, Nigeria is obviously in Africa).

Ah well, I guess I'll have to keep calling whenever I want to find out what place is where!
Or you could just refer to the award chart: http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cach...wardtravel.pdf
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flashware
Or you could just refer to the award chart: http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cach...wardtravel.pdf
Which lists the individual countries where exactly?

PS: Your link doesn't work, here is one that works
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Which lists the individual countries where exactly?

PS: Your link doesn't work, here is one that works
It's as close as you'll get, as it seems to list any countries that may be questionable:
A) Award redemption on Virgin Atlantic is only available in economy class
B) Award redemption on Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian is temporarily not available
C) Excludes Hawaii
D) North Asia includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, S. Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
E) South & Central Asia includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Chagos, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam
F) Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on inter-island and South Pacific flights only

Only other place I could suggest is reading the US DM T&C.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by flashware
It's as close as you'll get, as it seems to list any countries that may be questionable:
A) Award redemption on Virgin Atlantic is only available in economy class
B) Award redemption on Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian is temporarily not available
C) Excludes Hawaii
D) North Asia includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, S. Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
E) South & Central Asia includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Chagos, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam
F) Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on inter-island and South Pacific flights only

Only other place I could suggest is reading the US DM T&C.
As I mentioned in my original post, I found this rather inadequate, as it fails to mention a large number of countries which are ambiguous in their region. There is no definition of the Middle East at all. Unfortunately the T&C's also fall short here too.

I guess asking for US to improve their award redemption programme also means that they may end up taking a closer look at some of our more "creative" award flights. Another case of having your cake and eating it too!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:19 am

Advice on booking award ticket on Air China

I want to use my US airways miles to book an award ticket for the following itinerary: Oct. 3: PVG-TPE, Oct.10: TPE-PVG, Oct.15: PVG-KWL

I have read previously that US only allows either one stopover or openjaw, however my preferred route would include both. My question is a route like this possible, and if it is, do I have to keep calling CSR until they book it? This is the first time that I've tried redeeming my miles.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question. Let me know if I need to post elsewhere. Thanks!

*Correction: Air China not China Airlines

Last edited by jlin17; Aug 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by jlin17
I want to use my US airways miles to book an award ticket for the following itinerary: Oct. 3: PVG-TPE, Oct.10: TPE-PVG, Oct.15: PVG-KWL

I have read previously that US only allows either one stopover or openjaw, however my preferred route would include both. My question is a route like this possible, and if it is, do I have to keep calling CSR until they book it?
As you write yourself, both stopover and an openjaw are not allowed in a US award. So the answer is a definitive no.

Of course you can book your routing as listed, but you would be charged two round trip awards...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:33 am

I have read previously that US only allows either one stopover or openjaw, however my preferred route would include both. My question is a route like this possible, and if it is, do I have to keep calling CSR until they book it? This is the first time that I've tried redeeming my miles.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question. Let me know if I need to post elsewhere. Thanks!
As per the rules, it's not allowed to have both. You may get one agent who is a little ..... not quite so bright and will allow it, but your chances these days are slim as they seem a lot more tuned in.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Also no stopovers when award travel is in a single region. And PVG can't be both the origin and the stopover/destination.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Advice on booking award ticket on China Airlines . I want to use my US airways miles to book an award ticket for the following itinerary: Oct. 3: PVG-TPE, Oct.10: TPE-PVG, Oct.15: PVG-KWL

China Airlines is in SKYTEAM... not Star Alliance... so US airways miles would not help you...

Delta skymiles can help you redeem for travel on China Airlines. So the question is moot.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
China Airlines is in SKYTEAM... not Star Alliance... so US airways miles would not help you...

Delta skymiles can help you redeem for travel on China Airlines. So the question is moot.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Air China not China Airlines.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:30 pm

*Correction: Air China not China Airlines
In my experience, CSRs tend to forget about the no stopover within one region rule if booking within a region they are unfamiliar with. I have even had a supervisor book me a stopover before. Of course, YMMV.

Instead of doing PVG-TPE-PVG-KWL, why don't you try PVG-TPE (stopover) - HGH-KWL (destination)-PVG?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
In my experience, CSRs tend to forget about the no stopover within one region rule if booking within a region they are unfamiliar with. I have even had a supervisor book me a stopover before. Of course, YMMV.

Instead of doing PVG-TPE-PVG-KWL, why don't you try PVG-TPE (stopover) - HGH-KWL (destination)-PVG?
this might be a case of YMMV - I have never been able to get a stopover PVG-ICN-NRT for example. In fact Ive had to struggle just to route via ICN in many cases cause the non-stops come up first and agents would rather route me on CA than OZ
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion nicksname, however I actually tried this route and there is no flight from HGH-KWL. Also, I want to spend a couple days visiting a friend in Shanghai so I would need an additional stopover.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion nicksname, however I actually tried this route and there is no flight from HGH-KWL. Also, I want to spend a couple days visiting a friend in Shanghai so I would need an additional stopover.
Whoops, I forgot to HGH has limited Air China destinations!

Are you able to visit your friend prior to your trip, or afterwards? I don't think your chances are high of being ticketed flights with two stopovers, on a same region award flight.

Your best bet would be PVG-TPE (stop)-PEK/CTU-KWL(destination)-PVG. And this is gambling on whether you will be allowed a stopover at all

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.