Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Let's add some rules, shall we?
  1. Lufthansa first class? Nope
  2. Swiss first class? Forget it
  3. Singapore F/J ex-US and many more places? Nada
  4. Stopover that's not a hub? Seems difficult
  5. Stopover out of region of destination? Nope
  6. Book an award on the same flight on the same airline in one direction and then be told that the other direction doesnt exist (EY: BEY-ADD)? That's US for you

Yes, pretty simple.
well... yes... but comparing to say qantas... there is hardly any availability at any time for premium, unless booking 365 days out... at least with US you can use partners (even if some people don't like say UA vs LH)

but to you points... LH isn't available to anyone much, some airlines get access 14 days prior. LX is an issue I agree. sq - again not available to ANYONE for premium awards. I use SQ a lot intra Asia however and never have any problems for biz class.

soptover not a hub? well, flying a star airline I usually transit a hub so not an issue. stopover outside an award region? easy. plenty of people get it and are charged the lower rate. however, if your itinerary doesn't fit within the star alliance suggested routings then you may get done. many many reports here of people flying SWP-USA with stops in Asia.

not seeing bey - yeah that's an issue. but these things happen. not all awards schemes are perfect for all itineraries. just because we can't get the exact thing we want doesn't mean it's a bad program, considering the ease of mileage accrual and redemption levels.

I flew many times last year shanghai to Tokyo. most of the time I got to fly on all Nippon, but two times the agent just could see NH and told me I had to fly CA. that doesn't mean US is a bad program!
Old May 20, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
I used the tool to find business class award travel - only issue is the flight that the tool found doesn't show up on United's website.
That is annoying for sure. Just a quick question, why would you use this tool if using United miles anyway? Their site already allows you to book online and show availability so the tool isn't of much use.

Did you try calling them and asking if the seat was available?

As with all these tools nothing is perfect as we aren't using US Airways actual system, we are just hoping for the best results possible.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:53 pm

Question -- I wanted an LX short-hop FRA-ZRH connector. United shows space, as does ANA, but US couldn't see it. It was really not a problem as I just took the flight an hour earlier, but could US not see it because it was operated by Swiss European instead of Swiss? Does that matter?
Old May 20, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well... yes... but comparing to_____________
I've redeemed awards across all three alliances in the last few years; most very large redemptions. This was the most difficult by far. Of course YMMV and, obviously, I recognize that there are advantages and disadvantages to all of them. For me, a big draw of US was the ability to redeem long haul F awards on interesting airlines like LX or LH (and use my fave FCT); and it turned out to be a bait and switch for me. Of course all programs have changes over time, but this selective blocking inside the alliance is not in the acceptable range of tolerance for me; I was well aware of the SQ blocking and thus it was ok in my mind as I knew it going in.

Add up all the other odd problems and it is by far the worse of the majors I've dealt with.

Last edited by DrivingRain; May 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 7:48 pm

Personally with all the awards I've redeemed, I would put US along with UA as the best, and BA as the far far far far worst. Lack of LH F is nothing compared to the pains of Avios, or even AA miles...
Old May 20, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Ugh

Just booked a ticket with US on 3 other carriers (NZ, UA and LH). After confirming the name on the reservation, the ticket was issued. While still on the phone with the agent, i pulled up the reservation on USAir.com and noticed that the passenger's last name was spelled incorrectly (one letter is omitted). I alerted the agent to this matter and, after placing me on hold to confer with her supervisor, she stated that all they could do was to put notes in the PNR that the name was incorrectly spelled and provide the correct spelling. She stated that to change the name would require a reissue and it would be unlikely that each flight would return to award inventory.

Does it seem right that a reissue is required? If so, how much of a PITA is this going to be? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Personally with all the awards I've redeemed, I would put US along with UA as the best, and BA as the far far far far worst. Lack of LH F is nothing compared to the pains of Avios, or even AA miles...
I tend to agree. My experience is only really with US and AC but US is fine as long as you know exactly what you want, have it lined up and ready to go and you don't push the rules too far. You also have to know how to word things. AC is similar but their wait times are horrible and more of their agents understand the rules.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by jmk2135
Just booked a ticket with US on 3 other carriers (NZ, UA and LH). After confirming the name on the reservation, the ticket was issued. While still on the phone with the agent, i pulled up the reservation on USAir.com and noticed that the passenger's last name was spelled incorrectly (one letter is omitted). I alerted the agent to this matter and, after placing me on hold to confer with her supervisor, she stated that all they could do was to put notes in the PNR that the name was incorrectly spelled and provide the correct spelling. She stated that to change the name would require a reissue and it would be unlikely that each flight would return to award inventory.

Does it seem right that a reissue is required? If so, how much of a PITA is this going to be? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks.
I know hindsight doesn't help, but I always put my itineraries on hold first, then check the particulars online to see if everything is spelt correctly, then call back to ticket if everything is as you wish.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by travelislife
I know hindsight doesn't help, but I always put my itineraries on hold first, then check the particulars online to see if everything is spelt correctly, then call back to ticket if everything is as you wish.
A better way is to have them hold it while on the phone, check it while the same person is on the phone and then ticket it if fine. That way, you avoid the possibility that the next agent will reject the itinerary.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
it is by far the worse of the majors I've dealt with.
I can agree with that in terms of the experience on the phone; US CS randomness/HUACA is hairpulling-bad.

That being said, show me an airline where you get the following itinerary for 90K in C:

SEA-ICN-HKG(dest)-BKK(23 hour transit)-FRA(23 hour transit)-SEA

Had I wanted that FRA transit could have been a stopover. It would have been trivially easy to daisy-chain additional awards (other airlines) in HKG or FRA.

The problems with LH group airlines are admittedly bad. On the other hand, UA *Net blocking eventually went away. So might this.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Stopover out of region of destination? Nope

Is this new? I booked a stopover in HKT after a destination in AKL in early 2011.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Has anyone ever had any luck getting US to open up a C (Envoy) seat on a TATL flight to begin or complete a *A award itinerary? I ask because in the past, US has always opened up domestic F seats for me to get me to connect to my *A flights -- even when no award space appeared online for those US domestic flights. I'm trying to get to ANYWHERE in Europe on 6/30 that will connect on TG to BKK, but I can't seem to find any F/C availability on an *A partners to get me to Europe.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:32 am

LX First showing!?

Hi guys

A quick question - I have read that LH & LX availability in first is tough to find
but I have had my eye on a flight from ZRH to BKK with Swiss in first.

On United.com, Aeroplan & AwardTravelr it shows as being available but the
US Airways lady I spoke to at the reservations centre could not find anything for that particular flight in any class.

Should I HUACA or despite these websites showing availability is it simply not available.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Robcuk
Hi guys

A quick question - I have read that LH & LX availability in first is tough to find
but I have had my eye on a flight from ZRH to BKK with Swiss in first.

On United.com, Aeroplan & AwardTravelr it shows as being available but the
US Airways lady I spoke to at the reservations centre could not find anything for that particular flight in any class.

Should I HUACA or despite these websites showing availability is it simply not available.

Thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately it is simply not available to US. US cannot book any LX F anymore.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Is this new? I booked a stopover in HKT after a destination in AKL in early 2011.
No it's not new...it doesn't exist...there is no issue with stopover outside of destination region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.