Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by samineni3
Thanks for your help. only found saver economy and no business class
You don't say how many seats you are after - but I looked for 2 just in case. i found seats LAX-ICN-BKK - flying Asian connecting to Thai (1 hour transit in ICN). Coming back as well there were seats showing available. Not sure how you missed them?? (are you selecting business class for your search?).

That being said - just because it is listed on United doesn't mean US will be able to see it. But it's a good start.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: LX SEN
I booked an award yesterday and got everything confirmed. Then I talked to SQ for seat assignement and then I found out, that the flight with SQ was in their system one day earlier than on my ticket. Called back US and they see the correct date as shown on my e-ticket. Really strange.
They asked me to call back later when SQ Office in LAX are open so that the supervisor can talk to SQ.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by samineni3
I am planning on booking a round trip ticket using US miles. Please some suggest how can I do that

Oct 7th: LAX-BKK (5 day stop over)
BKK-MAA (DESTINATION)

Oct 20th MAA-LAX

Thnaks for your help
I'm seeing award space via Incheon to Bangkok, then nonstop Bangkok to Chennai, then Chennai to LA via Bangkok and Incheon on the return, all un business class.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
No. You don't specify the arriving and departing flight...
If you have to pass immigration, the MCT starts at 70 Min (ID) if you connect to domestic, otherwise 85 Min (II).
There are few exceptions but not if you arrive on a international flight.
And it does not matter if you fly in Y or F-cl regarding MCT at EWR...

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.7 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: EWR/UA-UA]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         EWR                          060 075 090 060  
UA-UA ONLINE      EWR                          030 040 070 085  
Thx. Its intnl to dom. US has ticketed it with 46 min connection. Best way of dealing with it?

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I used the prompts a couple of times. Mostly though I always say agent.

I find it makes no difference to what they will allow or otherwise. In fact one time (as I reported here I think) i was asking via the prompts to go MEL-PVG. The agent came on the line and then gave me a huge itinerary to get from Melbourne Florida to Shanghai! (Like it was over 4 segments each way).

We ended up with a nice 2+2 after I read her the flights I'd found via SIN!

The only potential complication with an illegal routing is if there are major schedule changes and you have to book a new flight somewhere. If new agent doesn't like it and annotates the PNR you could be in trouble. But that's fairly remote.
Its travel in 4 weeks, so no big risks of schedule changes.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:40 pm

PHX-LAX segment unavailable - options?

Hi, I have a great award ticket from PHX to HKG and back, except it's missing one segment: the initial PHX-LAX positioning segment. My flight out of LAX is at 1:10 pm on OZ. The 7:45 am PHX-LAX on US had availability a few days ago, but I couldn't get to it fast enough.

I take it that if it pops up again, I'll have to pay the big change fee, right? I won't be able to add it onto the itinerary? Is that right?

I'm not worried about paying cash; it's pretty cheap. I'm just worried about irregular ops, baggage issues, etc. Is there anything I can do to minimize that, short of flying the night before? Is there any reason to fly US rather than WN on that segment if I'm paying cash?

If I fly US, could they check my bags all the way to HKG, or would I have to retrieve them in LAX and carry them over to the intl terminal? I know the risk of problems on that route is relatively low, but you never know.

And if my flight or bags are delayed and I miss my OZ flight, am I totally out of luck?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
So hypothetically speaking, if my flight tomorrow on LH is cancelled due to the strike, who is responsible for rebooking me? US or LH? Will I be forced to find a flight with open reward space?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by cactus47
Hi, I have a great award ticket from PHX to HKG and back, except it's missing one segment: the initial PHX-LAX positioning segment. My flight out of LAX is at 1:10 pm on OZ. The 7:45 am PHX-LAX on US had availability a few days ago, but I couldn't get to it fast enough.

I take it that if it pops up again, I'll have to pay the big change fee, right? I won't be able to add it onto the itinerary? Is that right?
Correct!

I'm not worried about paying cash; it's pretty cheap. I'm just worried about irregular ops, baggage issues, etc. Is there anything I can do to minimize that, short of flying the night before? Is there any reason to fly US rather than WN on that segment if I'm paying cash?
WN would not care about your other ticket. If you buy US, you still have two contracts, but you only have to deal with one carrier in case of irregularity, maybe easier...

If I fly US, could they check my bags all the way to HKG, or would I have to retrieve them in LAX and carry them over to the intl terminal? I know the risk of problems on that route is relatively low, but you never know.
No, bags can be checked through. Don't know if WN has interline-agreement with OZ.

And if my flight or bags are delayed and I miss my OZ flight, am I totally out of luck?
Maybe it'll be worth to think about if you don't better want to stay at home?

When holding two separate tickets for a trip, you always run the risk of missing a flight. And don't expect any help, as you're holding two tickets which means two contracts of transportation. US is obliged to fly you to LAX on your first ticket. When you arrive too late for the OZ flight, then your mileage ticket will be worthless, as changes are not permitted once travel has commenced (DM Rules). It was your fault that you arrived too late... Two separate tickets could have worked the last 99 times, but who knows if it does it also the next time?

So, better plan enough time for the connection in LAX. Fly PHX-LAX the day before, that you still have some later flights on this route to be rebooked on in case of irregularities...

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Mar 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
So hypothetically speaking, if my flight tomorrow on LH is cancelled due to the strike, who is responsible for rebooking me? US or LH? Will I be forced to find a flight with open reward space?
LH. As it is not LH's fault that the flight is cancelled due to a higher force, it would be possible that they rebooked you only on flights with positive reward space, especially if you have to be rebooked on another carrier. Rebooking on LH flight should be no problem, as long as seats available.

Where are they then striking tomorrow?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
LH. As it is not LH's fault that the flight is cancelled due to a higher force, it would be possible that they rebooked you only on flights with positive reward space, especially if you have to be rebooked on another carrier. Rebooking on LH flight should be no problem, as long as seats available.

Where are they then striking tomorrow?
Looks like all the German airports. My flight is not currently listed as cancelled. Tomorrows 425 from Boston to Munich.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:25 pm

Looks like all the German airports. My flight is not currently listed as cancelled. Tomorrows 425 from Boston to Munich.
Yep, just heared it on the news now...

Strike is announced tomorrow TUE 27.MAR. between 5am to 2pm.

Here the list of cancelled LH flights.

Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP

Thanks!
I'd look for award availability PHX-LAX and when it becomes available ask politely to add this segment; if they won't do it for free I'd strongly consider paying the $150 - cheap trip insurance.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
There seems to be some missing details here: you were able to book an award trip from PHX to HKG connecting via LAX (and ICN!) with a missing leg from PHX to LAX? Or you meant to say that you booked the trip knowing that the PHX-LAX would not be available?

Getting from PHX to LAX is really no issue, since there's a flight every hour
or less and a one-way ticket is as low as 70USD. There are so many to choose from... Again lots of missing details here!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have you issued the ticket, or is it still on the 3-day courtesy hold?

If you have not ticketed it, and PHX-LAX is the only segment left without award seats, call US, and a nice agent will call to request seats to be opened up for you. It was mentioned on FT a long time ago, and I actually experienced it first hand a few days ago.

My mini-RTW itinerary was missing the last leg between LAX and SEA. The MCT in LAX for international to domestic transfer is 120 minutes, and the only UA direct flight with C available departs in 110 minutes. The US agent put me on hold, called the revenue department, and got them to open up a seat for me on LAX-PHX-SEA. As long as it is something that US flies, they still have some control over it and are willing to get that for you.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by longnguk
Getting from PHX to LAX is really no issue, since there's a flight every hour or less and a one-way ticket is as low as 70USD. There are so many to choose from... Again lots of missing details here!
The risk of buying a separate flight under a different PNR is that the airline departing LAX is not responsible for any mis-connection due to the delayed departure of the first flight (be in weather, mechanical, anything) since they are not under the same ticket.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I've been using the ANA *A tool for several years, yet I see that many here are now using UA's and/or Air Canada's site to find *A availability. Is ANA no longer the preferred site for any reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.