Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
I was undercharged mileage!

Booked a J * award to Africa and, looking at my account, i was only charged 100k instead of 110k. Perhaps it was just the universe righting itself after i spent more than half an hour on the phone just to ticket an itinerary after reserved...

Should I use these miles (burn baby, burn!) or will the miles eventually get pulled from my account at some future point after an audit?

Just want to ensure that under no circumstances will my J ticket be canceled. Thanks!
If you have a ticket number, it is extremely unlikely any additional miles will be pulled later.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:44 pm

Itinerary Change

Hello,

I am currently booked on LH as follows:

LAX-FRA-ZRH
ZRH-DFW-LAS-LAX

The return trip makes for a long day. If a more direct return route (eg ZRH-FRA-LAX or ZRH-LAX on LX), becomes available before I begin the trip can I attempt to change the trip without risk of losing the itinerary? For example, a week before my scheduled departure I see on the ANA tool that ZRH-LAX is available and I attempt to change the return routing, but somehow everything is lost. Or, would my return trip only be released back into inventory after I successfully book a new route? I would have no problem paying the change fee.

I would contact US about this, but I don't feel I would get a straight answer. I appreciate any feedback you guys can lend. Thank you.

Jerry

Last edited by InTheValley; Jun 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by jpdx
I don't think they sold all these seats -when I checked yesterday, availability was showing O2 for pretty much every day in January-, but they probably realized that they'd rather try to sell these seats before they start giving them away. In any case, your observation is correct; according to the ANA tool, there now aren't any FRA-NRT-FRA F award seats on the A380 in January.
award avaibility for the LH A380 in F was showing available since last friday. exactly at the same moment the LH winter schedule came out. It lasted one week. so I would bet it was due to an oversight with them having done the winter schedule before the A380 F blocking.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by chewy3
If you have a ticket number, it is extremely unlikely any additional miles will be pulled later.
Ahhhhh!!! I think one of the US phone trolls decided my itinerary wasn't legal, and dropped my Europe-Africa segment...making it 10k cheaper, but defeating the entire purpose.

Do I have any recourse to re-adding the segments? I am sure it is on the notes.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by synd
award avaibility for the LH A380 in F was showing available since last friday. exactly at the same moment the LH winter schedule came out. It lasted one week. so I would bet it was due to an oversight with them having done the winter schedule before the A380 F blocking.
I managed to put an F A380 award on hold on Wednesday when there was plenty of availablity. But they seem to have all disapeared.

Luckily, I was still able to book the ticket I had on hold and am now confirmed in seat 1A.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Is Israel considered part of Europe or the Middle East?

Never mind. Figured it out. Middle East.

Last edited by jpdx; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:20 pm
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by jpdx
Is Israel considered part of Europe or the Middle East?

Never mind. Figured it out. Middle East.
If you're looking to save a lot of miles, at least from the US, book the award to Turkey. Buy a revenue ticket to make the short hop over the water to TLV.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by InTheValley
Hello,

LAX-FRA-ZRH
ZRH-DFW-LAS-LAX

The return trip makes for a long day. If a more direct return route (eg ZRH-FRA-LAX or ZRH-LAX on LX), becomes available before I begin the trip can I attempt to change the trip without risk of losing the itinerary? For example, a week before my scheduled departure I see on the ANA tool that ZRH-LAX is available and I attempt to change the return routing, but somehow everything is lost. Or, would my return trip only be released back into inventory after I successfully book a new route? I would have no problem paying the change fee.

I would contact US about this, but I don't feel I would get a straight answer. I appreciate any feedback you guys can lend. Thank you.

Jerry
You should be able to do this. Just make sure you get a competent agent and let them know exactly what you want to do.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by InTheValley
Hello,

LAX-FRA-ZRH
ZRH-DFW-LAS-LAX
As was just answered above, a competent agent should be able to book a more direct routing for you if availability opens up - assuming you pay the $150 per ticket change fee of course.

And I assume you mean you're booked ZRH-FRA-DFW-LAS-LAX currently?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
In absence of TG summer award flights being loaded, I managed to find this unusual routing via the ANA tool. Outbound is available in J, return won't be loaded for another 2 days.

OUTBOUND:
WED BNE-SIN SQ 0935 1515 (layover 6 hours)
WED SIN-CCU SQ 2100 2235 (layover 2.5 hours)
THU CCU-FRA LH 0055 0730 (layover 7ish hours)
THU FRA-MEX LH 1415 1905 (destination and open jaw)

***EDIT*** It is also possible to go via IST on TK and connect to the same BNE-SIN & FRA-MEX. I tried DXB it is a misconnect. It's a trade off, IST is probably nicer than CCU airport but LH & SQ I would imagine are nicer airlines than TK.

RETURN:
MON LAX-ICN OZ 0020 0620 (cross dateline, layover 9.5 hours)
TUE ICN-SIN OZ 1600 2130 (layover 4ish hours)
WED SIN-BNE SQ 0010 0930

I know going via CCU is pretty bizarre but there is nothing else available that day in J, heaps of options in Y and LH has F & Y but not J SIN-FRA nonstop. I have tried to follow all the rules-no stopovers (meaning 24 hours) because I have an open jaw.

Can anyone see any issues with this itinerary?

What strategy should I take when I call US to book it? If TG would load their awards for April 2011, there are better routings but I don't want to take the chance of losing the connections on other airlines.

Last edited by Tiki; Jun 13, 2010 at 6:27 am
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tiki
In absence of TG summer award flights being loaded, I managed to find this unusual routing via the ANA tool. Outbound is available in J, return won't be loaded for another 2 days.

OUTBOUND:
WED BNE-SIN SQ 0935 1515 (layover 6 hours)
WED SIN-CCU SQ 2100 2235 (layover 2.5 hours)
THU CCU-FRA LH 0055 0730 (layover 7ish hours)
THU FRA-MEX LH 1415 1905 (destination and open jaw)

I know going via CCU is pretty bizarre but there is nothing else available that day in J, heaps of options in Y and LH has F & Y but not J SIN-FRA nonstop. I have tried to follow all the rules-no stopovers (meaning 24 hours) because I have an open jaw.

Can anyone see any issues with this itinerary?
By all means give US a call and try to ticket.

However - one potetial problem my be the SIN-CCU-FRA. Does this routing show on the staralliance website as agiven option?

If it doesn't US airways may determine that the routing will be treated as a stopover... even if it is not. And then you would run into problems with your open jaw.

I have only had it happen to me once, but when my routing did not show on the star-tool US counted a transit in BKK as a stopover.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
A quick question:

I know CPs can change award tickets for free, but do they have to pay the award processing fee every time they make a change? Or just pay it once?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by blug
A quick question:

I know CPs can change award tickets for free, but do they have to pay the award processing fee every time they make a change? Or just pay it once?

Thanks in advance.
You only pay when the ticket is first issued and the miles are pulled. Any changes thereafter will not incur the award processing fee for any customer.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
I've read a good bit of this thread, but I haven't found a clear answer to this:

If I want to change part of my booked itinerary and it will result in a higher mileage charge, can that be operated as a change, and the extra miles charged? Or would they need to cancel/refund miles and rebook?

I know I should put the seats on hold before on a separate reservation if there are more available, but I have the last 2 on one flight. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
By all means give US a call and try to ticket.

However - one potetial problem my be the SIN-CCU-FRA. Does this routing show on the staralliance website as agiven option?

If it doesn't US airways may determine that the routing will be treated as a stopover... even if it is not. And then you would run into problems with your open jaw.

I have only had it happen to me once, but when my routing did not show on the star-tool US counted a transit in BKK as a stopover.
Curiously enough it does! *A.com won't give a routing for BNE-MEX so it forces you to piece one together. If you ask for BNE-FRA it gives tonnes of options. SQ doesn't seem to be releasing long haul SIN-Europe in J so the only availabilty is via CCU or IST using TK.

I know people are raving about the TK F suites but what about their J class? If you had to choose between an SQ/LH via CCU or a TK via IST between SIN-FRA, which would you go for? Either way, the connection in CCU or IST is less than 3 hours so no time to do anything but sit in the lounge.

I really like the idea of going via FRA to MEX and avoiding the LAX Easter week rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.