Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I see most regular after confirming longhauls start calling each and every airline to secure seat and confirm ticket is ok.

Would this be needed if all seats are assigned when checking the US pnr on usairwayssite?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Not the first time this has been mentioned in this thread
Of course, in a thread with nearly 2300 posts, finding material in it is a bit hard. This might be something well suited for content in the first post in the thread, something like this:

The following are Star Alliance hubs that can be used for layovers with a ticketed partner on a US Star Alliance Partner award (meaning you must arrive on the carrier listed for the hub in order to take the layover), as listed on the Star Alliance member airline pages:

Adria Airways (JP): LJU
Air Canada (AC): YYZ, YUL, YVR, YYC
Air China (CA): PEK, CTU, PVG
Air New Zealand (NZ): AKL, HKG, LAX
ANA (NH): NRT, HND
Asiana (OZ): ICN, GMP
Austrian (OS): VIE
Blue1 (KF): HEL
British Midlands (BD): LHR
Brussels Airlines (SN): BRU
Continental Airlines (CO): EWR, IAH, CLE, GUM
Croatia Airlines (OU): ZAG
Egyptair (MS): CAI
LOT Polish Airlines (LO): WAW
Lufthansa (LH): FRA, MUC
SAS (SK): CPH, OSL, ARN
Shanghai Airlines (FM): PVG, SHA
Singapore Airlines (SQ): SIN
South African Airways (SA): JNB
Spanair (JK): BCN, MAD
SWISS (LX): ZRH, GVA, BSL
TAP Portugal (TP): LIS, OPO
THAI (TG): BKK, CNX, HKT, HDY
Turkish Airlines (TK): IST, ANK
United (UA): ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, IAD
US Airways (US): CLT, PHL, PHX, DCA, LGA, BOS, PIT, LAS
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:25 am

You don't need even though it might have some advantages: you can get better seats (according to seatguru.com) and you can confirm that everything is allright with the reservation at the same time. It's just another layer of security.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by JanoS-
Is it possible to fly Europe - South Asia via North Asia?
Either without or with Stopover?

For example: FRA-NRT-BKK or FRA-ICN-SIN ?

Europe-South Asia is 110k miles in F, Europe-North Asia is 100k miles in F.
Originally Posted by JanoS-
So connection without stopover FRA-NRT-BKK is forbidden, but with stop in Tokyo it is OK?
And because I can have only one stopover, it forces me to fly FRA-NRT-BKK and return directly BKK-FRA. Thanks.
If you have a stop over in BKK, you will most likely (I say that because YMMV) have the S. Asia rate.

You might be able to get away with FRA-NRT (dest)-BKK (stop)-FRA.

If you spend less than 24 hrs in your transiting city, there will be no upcharge.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
I see most regular after confirming longhauls start calling each and every airline to secure seat and confirm ticket is ok.

Would this be needed if all seats are assigned when checking the US pnr on usairwayssite?
Nope.

Originally Posted by FTMucGer
You don't need even though it might have some advantages: you can get better seats (according to seatguru.com) and you can confirm that everything is allright with the reservation at the same time. It's just another layer of security.
Also, not all seats (TG) show up on the US site.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Planning OSL-xxx-HKG/PVG-ICN-PEK-BKK/SIN-(DXB)-XXX-OSL for 2 pax in F leaving June 4-15 roughly 10 days returning 14-25 June.
Staying 7 nights with Hyatt diamond upgrade certificate, availabiliy ok both in HK and Shanghai (prefer PVG as its the World EXPO).
ANA is positive on ZRH-PVG with LX (also to HKG). Then I can also try OZ F PVG-ICN.
I found no F on PEK-SIN/BKK or ICN-PEK. I suspect there is only SQ PEK-SIN, but no seats.
Found no seats SIN-DXB.
BKK-DXB-ZRH in F TG/LX ok, but with one flight a day the 2 hour connection is not optimal, as i wanted a layover.
I could also do second stopover in DXB, but due to heavy shopping in Asia, I would like to check luggage all the way to OSL and I assume thats only possible with layovers. BTW, now stopover is 7nighter in PVG(or HKG) then ICN destination to be able to route back via shoppers Mecca (=PEK).
Also found no F seats on either OZ or NH longhaul.
If no stopover in DXB probably better do TG F BKK-XXX-OSL, with plenty of options.
Should be 100k (stopover in same region and lower priced region-DXB), and connection/layover in southasia, but I figure that normally will work.
Any ideas of improvement?
Priority PVG, PEK, DXB (NH,OZ,LX,SQ,TG,TK,LH in that order)
1 hour on phone:
OSL-ZRH-PVG(stopover)-ICN(destination)-PEK-HKG(stopover)-IST-OSL
After alot of checking with ratedesk and supervisor the issue raised was;
-You can not have a stopover in PVG as its not a hub city for LX as Im flying in with.
I managed to find ZRH-HKG-PVG and imagined that would solve the problem.
- Sir, Shangai airlines is not part of *A!!!
- well it is, and airlinecode is FM.
- hmmmm I had the wrong code.

But then she can not find any of the 4 daily FM flights from HKG to PVG. Result is that all other segments are on hold, and they have to manually request seat from FM by mail. I can not even get a rough estimate on taxes as its still an invalid routing missing a segment.
The question that I also have a second stopover on return in HKG is not mentioned (also not a hub!). But that one can easily be skipped if needed. Or changed to PEK or IST.
Called back to check if FM HKG-PVG had beed confirmed. Well, Sir I cant find that segment on your routing, its ZRH-PVG. I thought OK great, lets do that (see above, it was my original request which was denied!). So it was easily booked then 2 pax in june;
OSL-ZRH LX C
ZRH-PVG LX F stopover
PVG-ICN OZ F destination
ICN-PEK OZ C layover
PEK-HKG CA F stopover - yes second stopover, no questions
HKG-IST TK F
IST-OSL TK C
taxes at 105$ each + 50 fee. 100k miles incl 4 F segments is nice.

I have no idea what the hassle from the day before was about!
All confirmed at US site.
By a glitch Ive been given a stopover I was not supposed to.

Do you think I could change that (or even an "invalid" routing) back to something valid without the change fee?

As it seems that would suit me better now.
Originally Posted by pogonation
If you were given a stopover which you didn't ask for then you can ask them to remove it without charging the change fee.
If you were given an extra stopover which you asked for but meant the number of stopovers on the itinerary exceeded the allowed number then you may be able to get it changed without paying the fee.
With either of these 2 scenarios you will not be able to re-route or change carriers (although possibly if you manage to remove the stopover and your onward flight for the new date has no availability).

If you have had an invalid routing ticketed then as far as they will be concerned it won't be ''invalid'' as it was ticketed. If you want to make changes to it then they will most likely charge you the fee.

Hope that helps ^
Had a very pleasant encounter with US CSR now^

When I initially couldnt find F flights PEK-BKK (and no seats on PEK-SIN), I decided to route via HKG back. When I got the TK suites, I wasnt too worried about missing TG F and the infamous spa, especially since there were no seats on 777 BKK-CDG. As mentioned above I managed to get the second stopover in HK surprisingly (as I had to even fight for the first one in PVG).
Then I figured that the stopover maybe wasnt so smart as they wont check my 100 kg+ luggage through. And thats a major hassle to sort in HK potentially, + even customs? I decided to give it a try to change without change fee. However no LX/TK seats within layoverlimits. So I got HKG-BKK-ZRH in F ( yes both segments) for 2 pax. I managed to save the 2x change fee of 150$ (I did one change of a different reservation with same agent first, and then he claimed 250$ change before he corrected himself to 150$) telling him it was initially an illegal stopover, + he didnt say a word about higher taxes (despite having a issue with rate desk and paying higher taxes on the first one. See next post).
I was afraid though that they might invalidate the original routing so I first made sure that if an illegal routing was ticketed it would not be cancelled, which he confirmed. There was also a potential issue that despite seeing 2 seats on ANA, and agent changing one itinerary first, that the second seat could go, + being unable to get original routing back.

So 2 pax, no change fee, no extra tax, + an extra F segment^
Also transitting a higher priced region.

Last edited by travelkid; Jun 8, 2010 at 10:30 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Seems I didnt post these bookings made in april;

OSL-ARN-WAW-IST (TK F)-NRT (LH F)-FRA-OSL
and
OSL-ARN-WAW-IST (TK F)-NRT (NH C)-PEK (LH F)-FRA-OSL

C on all other segments.

Did a change today for 150$.
Changed return to NRT (NH C)- PEK (OZ C)- ICN (OZ F)- FRA- OSL
Was a little hmmemmh 250$ change ehhmm 150$. Then no question on tax increase before I mentioned. I wasnt too optimistic on the rerouting as it definately is backtracking. Would have expected them to say NRT-ICN-FRA. After a while at rate desk the tax increased from 120 to an adittional 140 totalling 260 + change fee. I was happy with change to OZ F allowed with the backtracking so I would have accepted it. Although with a rather minor change, though backtracking and adding one segment shouldnt normally more than double the tax. I questioned this, and suggested they might have added fuel surcharge, and asked him to please check one more time with rate desk. He said that the guy was normally very good, but he would check. Came back after some more minutes with an apology. It seemed the 140$ increase was not due to fuel surcharge, but it was rather the total and they hadnt deducted the original payment, so it ended up with a 20$ increase.

Im pretty sure they would not have allowed this as an original booking, so it worked just because I made the changes later, made them focus on only that.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Isn't CPT a hub for SA?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: US Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Difficulty to Hawaii

New here, but trying to book my first award ticket. Using a combination of ANA and CO.com I found availability for TPA-IAH-HNL-OGG and OGG-SNA-PHX-TPA. After about 30 minutes, CSR was able to find all of the flight #'s I gave her except HNL-OGG on HA196. First she said they aren't able to book flights on HA, then changed her mind to no availability instead. She placed me on hold and eventually was disconnected. After calling back, second CSR couldn't find my first flight CO1507, and said I needed to call CO, and they would be able to book award tickets using my US miles. I don't remember reading that anywhere around here, that we can book US award tickets though CO?? Is that true? She gave me a 1-800 # and hung up. Now, due to high call volume, CO is unable to take any calls. I'll give US another try.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by withatwist
New here, but trying to book my first award ticket. Using a combination of ANA and CO.com I found availability for TPA-IAH-HNL-OGG and OGG-SNA-PHX-TPA. After about 30 minutes, CSR was able to find all of the flight #'s I gave her except HNL-OGG on HA196. First she said they aren't able to book flights on HA, then changed her mind to no availability instead. She placed me on hold and eventually was disconnected. After calling back, second CSR couldn't find my first flight CO1507, and said I needed to call CO, and they would be able to book award tickets using my US miles. I don't remember reading that anywhere around here, that we can book US award tickets though CO?? Is that true? She gave me a 1-800 # and hung up. Now, due to high call volume, CO is unable to take any calls. I'll give US another try.
If you are using US Airways miles you absolutely must book through US Airways, not via the partner. Only US Airways can issue Dividend Miles tickets.

Hawaiian is definitely a partner of US Airways for Inter-Island and South Pacific Flights only. HNL-OGG qualifies.

However I believe you can't combine Star Alliance partners with non-Star Alliance partners on the same award (as Continental will allow you to do). Perhaps someone else will confirm?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
What does this mean?

Award travel on Royal Jordanian and Virgin Atlantic must originate from a valid US Airways operated city.
Don't think I saw this before...

Last edited by arfgoblue; Jun 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Guess you can't fly AMM-TLV on RJ!

Also I noticed in the member guide that it says you have to have the requisite miles in your account for an award before requesting the reservation. Certainly you can't TICKET until miles are in an account, but I've never had a US agent have a problem with HOLDING an award pending mileage purchase or transfer..
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Hawaiian is definitely a partner of US Airways for Inter-Island and South Pacific Flights only. HNL-OGG qualifies.

However I believe you can't combine Star Alliance partners with non-Star Alliance partners on the same award (as Continental will allow you to do). Perhaps someone else will confirm?
Yeah, that sort of seems like the answer they are giving me, although, they don't seem very clear on this either. Supervisor is looking into it "to see if it's do-able"
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by withatwist
Yeah, that sort of seems like the answer they are giving me, although, they don't seem very clear on this either. Supervisor is looking into it "to see if it's do-able"
If they say it's a no-go, put the rest of the itinerary on hold anyway so you don't have to rebuild from scratch on the next call...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
If they say it's a no-go, put the rest of the itinerary on hold anyway so you don't have to rebuild from scratch on the next call...
Ok, put it on hold. Turns out it's not possible to combine. They would have to book separate award tickets for HA HNL-OGG at 20k a piece. I'd probably be better off just paying for these. How does this work when I arrive at HNL? Do I have to pick up my luggage and check-in again for the HNL-OGG flight since its a separate ticket? Or will everything somehow make it through TPA-IAH-HNL-OGG?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.