Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
I booked an award a few months back LHR-FRA-PEK-BKK-LHR in First.

However, at the time of booking, the LHR-FRA leg only had Y available, so I was booked into that.

However though, I've seen on ANA that C for this leg is now available.

If I phone US to change it to C, will I get charged $150 change fee for this or not.
I'm pretty certain that it won't cost any more miles but if I'm forced to pay the $150, maybe it isn't worth doing is it?
As gottaluvNW said - you should be ok without needing to pay the $150. This happened to me with one segment and I was out into the correct cabin without charge.

Even if they do want to charge (and if you can't be bothered arguing with them)... for $150 it is well worth moving to the C cabin. I flew LH transatlantic last week and economy was packed - it didn't look very comfortable... legs, shoulders, arms all out in the aisle, pax sitting crammed upright...

Originally Posted by dcpatti
How accurate is ANA tool? Fairly accurate, I would suspect. I've called 3 times now with an itin that ANA says is available and the US CP desk agent can't see it. Any advice?
As gottaluvNW and gleff advise - say that you are flying from point A to point B. Then say - before they have a chance to start looking - that you spoke to a colleague earlier today (or yesterday or whenever) and say that she/he found the following flights VIA blah blah blah. Then I say 'would you like me to give you the flight numbers?'

Every time the agent has responded with 'yes please' and off we have gone.

I always start by saying I am flying the full route - so, for example, I say I am flying from Zurich to Shanghai. Immediately I follow up with 'your colleague found the following via Frankfurt (or wherever you want)'
Old May 31, 2010, 2:49 pm

Keep calling. I just did that a few days ago (changing one flight in an F award from C to F). It shouldn't cost anything since you already paid for F. After not succeeding on the German hotline, one call at the US hotline solved the issue.

Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
I booked an award a few months back LHR-FRA-PEK-BKK-LHR in First.

However, at the time of booking, the LHR-FRA leg only had Y available, so I was booked into that.

However though, I've seen on ANA that C for this leg is now available.

If I phone US to change it to C, will I get charged $150 change fee for this or not.
I'm pretty certain that it won't cost any more miles but if I'm forced to pay the $150, maybe it isn't worth doing is it?
Old May 31, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Can we update the first post about the change fee / change of cabin issue that comes up regularly?

From personal experience and that posted by others, a good agent will not charge the change fee for this. The agent will freely move you up to the higher cabin on a segment that previously didn't have availability, provided you originally redeemed the required miles for that cabin when the itinerary was ticketed.

Though personally, for the most recent question about this I wouldn't care unless I was dying for that shorthaul European C meal and blocked middle seat. LH LHR-FRA in C versus Y isn't exactly a dramatic upgrade and the segment is fairly short.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Just an update to my booking, I got my booking changed from:

Outbound
PER-BKK C
BKK-HKG F
HKG-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C STOP

ZRH-JFK F

Inbound
JFK-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C
ZRH-BKK F
BKK-PER C

changing the inbound to:

LGA-DCA F STOP

IAD-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C
ZRH-BKK F
BKK-PER C

The agent didn't ask any questions, put them in, told me it would be $150 each, and it took 10 minutes. It was a big relief!

Like a member posted earlier, I think its a lot easier when you are adding flights, because it doesn't seem like they check the whole thing!
Old May 31, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Can we update the first post about the change fee / change of cabin issue that comes up regularly?

From personal experience and that posted by others, a good agent will not charge the change fee for this. The agent will freely move you up to the higher cabin on a segment that previously didn't have availability, provided you originally redeemed the required miles for that cabin when the itinerary was ticketed.
One questions related to this topic that I haven't seen answered is whether an agent will upgrade a segment after the outbound flights have been taken. I haven't been able to do this after calling 2 times but was wondering if anyone else had been able to do this.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by peachy3
Just an update to my booking, I got my booking changed from:

Outbound
PER-BKK C
BKK-HKG F
HKG-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C STOP

ZRH-JFK F

Inbound
JFK-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C
ZRH-BKK F
BKK-PER C

changing the inbound to:

LGA-DCA F STOP

IAD-FRA F
FRA-ZRH C
ZRH-BKK F
BKK-PER C

The agent didn't ask any questions, put them in, told me it would be $150 each, and it took 10 minutes. It was a big relief!

Like a member posted earlier, I think its a lot easier when you are adding flights, because it doesn't seem like they check the whole thing!
Hi,
Can you tell me how many miles the trip cost ? I am in Queensland and would like to book a similar trip to DFW.

Thanks
Old May 31, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by ianp
Hi,
Can you tell me how many miles the trip cost ? I am in Queensland and would like to book a similar trip to DFW.

Thanks
Should be 140k miles.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: EY Platinum, MH Gold
Hi,

Can someone confirm the number of miles needed to go from Singapore to Australia on a DM *A redemption - looking at the award chart from South Asia to South Pacific it is 120k - which seems excessive??

Can anyone confirm?

J
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:24 am
Suspended

Just placed on hold

CLT-EWR-PEK
PEK-YYZ-CLT

Air Canada and Continental business class.

US agent told me "it is First class"
I argued business first and executive first are C class, not F
she argued, so I placed on hold will call back.
The woman actually had the nerve to say "I noted its F cabins only on the reservation 120k"
how do I demand the 90K actual rate?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:41 am
Suspended

Also,
am looking to book a Shangai airlines flight FM
with dividend miles
no agent seems to know how to do this
any advise?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:50 am

Has anyone had any very recent success getting Swiss F seats? I've tried 4-5 flights that have availability on expertflyer and they can't see any of them. I used to have some success (it was hit or miss) but now it seems like it's zero available.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chewy3
Has anyone had any very recent success getting Swiss F seats? I've tried 4-5 flights that have availability on expertflyer and they can't see any of them. I used to have some success (it was hit or miss) but now it seems like it's zero available.
Expertflyer shows LX availabilty to Miles & More members, not to *A partners. Have you checked on ANA as well?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Expertflyer shows LX availabilty to Miles & More members, not to *A partners. Have you checked on ANA as well?
Yes, ANA matches expertflyer in my experience and Continental sees those seats as well.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Just placed on hold

CLT-EWR-PEK
PEK-YYZ-CLT

The woman actually had the nerve to say "I noted its F cabins only on the reservation 120k"
Call back and politely say shouldn't this reservation be 90k? Usually, it's very difficult to override a note in the reservation, but in this case it's so obviously wrong it should be easy to get the problem rectified. Also ask for a supervisor if necessary.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Just placed on hold

CLT-EWR-PEK
PEK-YYZ-CLT

Ask them what fare bucket you are booked in. 'O' is First Class, 'I' is Business Class. Speak to a supervisor if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.