Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:36 pm

Help!!

Ok, we have these somewhat complex itineraries that include TG, AC, LH, and TK. I noticed an involuntary sched. change on the last segment (TG BKK-MEL). It changed from the day flight to the red-eye even though both flights are still scheduled to fly in June - so I called to accept the changes (as it happens, the red-eye might work better for us anyway). The agent put me on hold, in order to (her words) "Clean up the record - there are some double flights here". A cold shiver went down my spine, but I waited, and now the US record looks in order and doesn't have the "There has been a schedule change, please call" line.

However, when I plugged the ticket # into the Saudia booking engine, I noticed that the TG flights are all under "Airport control" instead of "open for use" (as are the non-TG segments), and the TG segment that had changed from day flight to red-eye is still a day flight according to Saudia. Is there a time lag before Saudia's engine can see the changes? Also, when I plug the AC locator into the AC web site, I get the updated itinerary, with the red-eye TG segment (as it appears in the US web site). TG reservations are closed until tomorrow, and they have very limited hours on the weekend, so should I worry until then or is this nothing more than a hiccup?

I wasn't able to verify my current TG segments on the TG web site even using their locator, but I think that might be because it's ticketed by US.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by honu

However, when I plugged the ticket # into the Saudia booking engine, I noticed that the TG flights are all under "Airport control" instead of "open for use" (as are the non-TG segments), and the TG segment that had changed from day flight to red-eye is still a day flight according to Saudia. Is there a time lag before Saudia's engine can see the changes? Also, when I plug the AC locator into the AC web site, I get the updated itinerary, with the red-eye TG segment (as it appears in the US web site). TG reservations are closed until tomorrow, and they have very limited hours on the weekend, so should I worry until then or is this nothing more than a hiccup?

I wasn't able to verify my current TG segments on the TG web site even using their locator, but I think that might be because it's ticketed by US.
"airport control" a.k.a. CTRL is nothing to worry about, see my post here.

There is a workaround for getting the PNR (amadeus) from TG: just follow the instructions from my previous post.

I hope it all works out.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by KL803
"airport control" a.k.a. CTRL is nothing to worry about, see my post here.

There is a workaround for getting the PNR (amadeus) from TG: just follow the instructions from my previous post.

I hope it all works out.
Thanks. I tried checking my itinerary using TG's PNR, but the Thai Airways web site doesn't seem to recognize it? Are my TG segments hopelessly messed up? Also, the last TG segment according to the Saudia web site is different than what I have when I look at the record on the US or AC web sites. Which one is right?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I tried checking my itinerary using TG's PNR, but the Thai Airways web site doesn't seem to recognize it? Are my TG segments hopelessly messed up? Also, the last TG segment according to the Saudia web site is different than what I have when I look at the record on the US or AC web sites. Which one is right?
Dont know about US booking. But in my experiences with UA awards which have "100 reissues" using an US agent's word 2 nights ago when she straightened a misconnect caused by US schedule change, the Saudia site correctly shows the LATEST issued tickets details. The previous ticket number would show Exch/Reissue, when the latest ticket number would show either Airport Control or Open for Use.

I have 2 UA awards that all partner flights including US's are Airport Control, but oddly enough, TK segments are Open for use when TK does not even show the reservation on its own site (no such ability).

I am surprised you could see your US award on AC site which refuses to show my UA award as "not booked with AC directly".
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am surprised you could see your US award on AC site which refuses to show my UA award as "not booked with AC directly".
I can only see the two segments before and after my AC segments, so a partial itinerary. And it doesn't agree with what I see on Saudia. Bummer... I will have to wait until TG reservations opens to find out which segment they think I'm flying (if any).
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

If your ticket was reissued you might have a new ticket number, so check that out.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I can only see the two segments before and after my AC segments, so a partial itinerary. And it doesn't agree with what I see on Saudia. Bummer... I will have to wait until TG reservations opens to find out which segment they think I'm flying (if any).
Partner airline confirmation numbers (especially when the ticketing airline uses a different reservation system than the partner in question) you will only see 1 or 2 flights either before, after or both. They all see the same eTicket and this means nothing. Totally normal.

Saudia looks up your eTicket which is separate and distinct from the many PNRs you have. It should sync up with the top-level PNR (the one from the issuing airline, US Airways). The rest don't matter at all so long as the operating airlines all see their own respective flights.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by travelislife
If your ticket was reissued you might have a new ticket number, so check that out.
Yes, I am using the new ticket number, that's why I'm worried: on that ticket number US shows that I'm on the BKK-MEL red eye, but Saudia shows I'm still on the day flight. The TG web site won't show my ticket at all when I try to use the TG PNR I have. I can't figure out what's happening... Is it possible that the reissuing hasn't happened yet, so US is showing an old ticket number but the new itinerary (this is the second reissue because of schedule changes)?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:30 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Captain Flush
Depending on how much time you need/want on the ground in GUM and ICN, you might be able to try one other thing. If you keep either of those stops to 23:59 or less, it becomes a layover rather than a stopover. Clearly that wouldn't work in TKK, but it could definitely work in ICN and possibly in GUM (depending on schedules and availability). The catch is that you would need to find HNL-TKK and TKK-GUM availability on separate days. Also, you'd probably need US to be convinced that TKK is your destination (which might not work because it isn't the farthest point of travel, although the lack of any other routings to TKK should work in your favor). In that case you'd be asking for JAX-TKK, routing via GUM and ICN on the return, with a stop in one and a long layover (but still under 24hrs) in the other. I wouldn't hold my breath that you will get this (or waste anyone's time playing HUACA), but it might be worth a shot.
Thanks Captain. Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board on this one. I think a stopover in GUM on the way to ICN, then a seperate award to TKK from GUM might work best.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:11 pm

Stopover in HNL

Would that be possible to make this reservation:
EWR>>ITO:5days as destination>>HNL:5days as stopover>>EWR

HNL is a hub for HA. Would that be possible to add a stopover in HNL en route to return to EWR?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Yes, I am using the new ticket number, that's why I'm worried: on that ticket number US shows that I'm on the BKK-MEL red eye, but Saudia shows I'm still on the day flight. The TG web site won't show my ticket at all when I try to use the TG PNR I have. I can't figure out what's happening... Is it possible that the reissuing hasn't happened yet, so US is showing an old ticket number but the new itinerary (this is the second reissue because of schedule changes)?
I suggest you just give TG reservations a call , they will be able to confrim which flights they have you booked on and what PNR number they hold for your booking.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by mizzou1

HNL is a hub for HA. Would that be possible to add a stopover in HNL en route to return to EWR?
Most probably not, as HA is no *A airline (hub)... Try it, YMMV... If not successfull, just book EWR-ITO /- HNL-EWR as an openjaw and buy separate tickets for the flight ITO-HNL...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1

This is not possible, because ITO-HNL not supported by Star Alliance. Open jaw worked as well. Also few months ago I make stopover in HNL on route NRT-ORD.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Quote:

Originally Posted by travelislife

Hmm. What comes up when you put the ticket number in to Thais meal reservation system as detailed above? Is it the same PNR shown as what you have? Note: this is not using your PNR on Manage My Booking.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, CX, SQ, BA
Is this routes valid SFO-PEK (stopover)- PEK-ICN (destination) - TPE -SFO for 90k miles on business class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.