Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberfest
I've been trying to book an itinerary with USair miles using partners. One flight is FCO to MUC. Both United and ANA's search tools show plenty of availability in both coach and biz for my day of travel. But when calling USair to book it, they keep saying nothing is available. This was a Lufthansa flight. Anybody having the same problems or know of a work around?
Lufthansa has to be on a Wednesday or Saturday. Even intra-Europe flights.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Trying to book a SEA -> TLV (stopover) -> NRT (final destination) -> SEA business class ticket.

I've been told twice that the award is 120k since Tel Aviv is considered Middle East, not the 90k. (it is, but I've heard that US Airways will at times consider it Europe)

Should I keep playing HUCA or just accept the 120k?

Routing is:

1. SEA-FRA-IST-TLV
2. TLV-IST-NRT
3. NRT-SEA

Is the IST leg on the first flight causing the issue?
TLV is not your stopover...I thought we covered that already. TLV is much further from SEA than NRT - that makes it your destination, whether you call it your stopover or not. If TLV is classified as Middle East then 120k it is.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
TLV is not your stopover...I thought we covered that already. TLV is much further from SEA than NRT - that makes it your destination, whether you call it your stopover or not. If TLV is classified as Middle East then 120k it is.
That was routing through Asia on the way to TLV (stupid question, I know).

I was able to find available seats going through FRA on the way there.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:29 pm

Your ticket is to TLV, doesn't really matter how you route there, you'll pay the TLV price (unless you stop in an even more expensive region on the way in which case they could very well charge you the higher price).

Goodo
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!

You're not listening to what I'm telling you. You do not arbitrarily decide your destination based on route.

SEA-TLV straight line distance: 6782 miles
SEA-NRT straight line distance: 4769 miles

So of the 2 places you intent to stop at on this trip, TLV is further from your point of origin...that makes it your destination. So the number of points you pay is whatever is required for a US - TLV redemption...not North Asia.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:37 pm

Singapore flights not offering Business

I have been able to put an itinerary on 72 hour hold leaving ADL to get to NCE via Singapore then openjaw and returning from EDI to ADL via Singapore. The ADL-SIN; SIN-ADL legs are not allowing me to book Business. I've heard that allocation has been cut down to two weeks from flight. If I go ahead and ticket this itinerary will I have to pay to upgrade those legs when (hopefully!!) Business seats are released.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
US$ 150.- per ticket and transaction. Keep in mind, that US will probably loose access to *A award seats after the change to OW on 31. march 2014. After that date it's unlikely that you chan do any changes on *A tickets other than to cancel.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Also you can't make any changes after you start the first leg, so if your trip is for more than two weeks, then you will not be able to upgrade the return even if it does become available at two weeks out.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Just booked IAD-LHR-MUC-BKK-TPE stop TPE-NRT-SFO-DCA all in J. All went really smooth and took less than 10 minutes on the phone from the first time.

My question is about Eva Air, the agent gave me my US/UA/LH/TG PNRs but not BR's. Any way to find those online besides calling?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:54 am

I'm going to call in today to try to book a trip from PHL or any airport within a couple hundred miles to LUN (Lusaka, Zambia) on Aug 18th returning Aug 26th. Anyone think it will be feasible to do it at this point - I realize it's probably pretty last minute.

I've actually never booked a *A trip before and just recently got to 300k miles - I'm hoping it will be easy but from what I've read on here it definitely will not be.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by fjord
Just booked IAD-LHR-MUC-BKK-TPE stop TPE-NRT-SFO-DCA all in J. All went really smooth and took less than 10 minutes on the phone from the first time.

My question is about Eva Air, the agent gave me my US/UA/LH/TG PNRs but not BR's. Any way to find those online besides calling?
TG and BR PNR should be the same.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by fjord

When you go to select your seats and print your itinerary from www.evaair.com it'll show you your Eva PNR (once you put in your ticket # and name). The Eva PNR is what it shows on on the www.evaair.com site for your ticket when you do your seat selection.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by VLtone
I'm going to call in today to try to book a trip from PHL or any airport within a couple hundred miles to LUN (Lusaka, Zambia) on Aug 18th returning Aug 26th. Anyone think it will be feasible to do it at this point - I realize it's probably pretty last minute.

I've actually never booked a *A trip before and just recently got to 300k miles - I'm hoping it will be easy but from what I've read on here it definitely will not be.
Sure why not. It's not last minute. You are still 6 months out.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Sure why not. It's not last minute. You are still 6 months out.
Welp,

I just made my first ever call to try and book a *A award but unfortunately I got off the phone unsuccessful.

I want to book something in either first or business class but the rep which I spoke to said she could only find coach on my selected dates as well as 1 day before and 1 day after. She also said that she had searched quite a few airlines.

I'm not freaking out yet as I know these things can be difficult - but I'm definitely a little concerned (good thing I haven't actually booked the vacation yet). Any suggestions from anyone?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by VLtone
Any suggestions from anyone?
Really you need to do your research beforehand by using the ANA tool so that you know what is available before you call. I can see availability in business via Addis Ababa into Dulles leaving 25 Aug and getting back 26 Aug (assuming 1hr 50m in ADD is enough). Going out looks more difficult, you might have to go via Toronto or stop in Europe.

What is the earliest you can leave and the latest you need to be back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.