Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
...aside from it being against the rules for multiple reasons (stopover AND open-jaw, stopover at your origin point).
I agree, I guess the sarcasm didn't come across well enough - I was saying it'd be great to zig-zag on *A over the pacific AND get AA for when *A flights were j available. :P
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Jesperss
I know this sounds stupid, but trying to book my 90k US Airways biz class ticket with a stop over in Tel Aviv and finishing in Tokyo.

I'm having the most difficult time finding Seattle to Tel Aviv the "normal way". Could I make the SEA to Tel Aviv trip via Tokyo rather than somewhere in Europe?

SEA - NRT - IST - TLV

TLV - IST - NRT

NRT - SEA
TLV is clearly your destination (not stop over) for this itinerary...by about 2000 miles.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Hmmm, OK. Well there is something strange about it. Take NH857 as an example...looking at the first week of November their timetable says there is a daily flight...on the 787. But then if I use the NH website to try and book it it never offers me the direct option...it only offers my the Air Japan flight to SGN then a connection to HAN.

For the same dates the only options it offers me to HKG are operated by Air Japan. It never shows me an NH859 flight...is this another 787 service??
NH859 is 777-200 according to what i'm looking at, although it's a hard flight to find J/C availability on. I'd be able to route through any of NH911, NH909, NH905, NH1255 or NH859

the fact that she couldn't even see the most these flights let alone no Y availability seemed so weird, maybe NH has done a similar thing to SQ and LH?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by appaz86
I'd be able to route through any of NH911, NH909,....
the fact that she couldn't even see the most these flights let alone no Y availability seemed so weird, maybe NH has done a similar thing to SQ and LH?
LH hasn't done anything.

Those flights you mention (above) are Air Japan operated flights.

11/5
(WE) NH911
Flights operated by ANA Group (ANA[NH]/Air Japan[NQ]/ANA WINGS[EH])
Tokyo(Narita) Hong Kong
Operated by Air Japan

11/5
(WE) NH909
Tokyo(Narita) Hong Kong
Operated by Air Japan
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:16 pm

LH hasn't done anything.

Those flights you mention (above) are Air Japan operated flights.

11/5
(WE) NH911
Tokyo(Narita) Hong Kong
Operated by Air Japan

11/5
(WE) NH909
Tokyo(Narita) Hong Kong
Operated by Air Japan
but i flew NH905 not even a month ago in business class with a USDM booking! and all the award searches are showing availability

so Air Japan flights aren't available now?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:21 pm

but i flew NH905 not even a month ago in business class with a USDM booking! and all the award searches are showing availability

so Air Japan flights aren't available now?
Nothing has changed...US has always had issues with Air Japan flights...I don't even know if NH905 is one.

However, whatever issue you are seeing is more than likely of US's making...not NH.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
yes post Oct 2014, these flights aren't operated by Air Japan though, these are international flights (some over 7 hours in length) and one of the flights I flew in January (NRT-PEK) is yet another that is not available.

i could be the code changes, but not all of these flights are changing codes. It seems strange that she basically couldn't find ANY ANA flight numbers I gave her, nada
That is typical US. You can't book many ANA flights to the US either, e.g. HND-HNL or NRT-HNL, US will never even see the flights - it's like they don't exist.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is typical US. You can't book many ANA flights to the US either, e.g. HND-HNL or NRT-HNL, US will never even see the flights - it's like they don't exist.
interesting, i guess i can just call them a list of a bunch of flights and dates until they find one!

i flew SEA-NRT-PEK all with ANA on the 787 in business 3 weeks ago, so I didnt think booking with ANA was this hard!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
HNL is the only US destination where the NH flights are operated by NQ. I'm not sure you'd have issues with other US destinations.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Jesperss
I know this sounds stupid, but trying to book my 90k US Airways biz class ticket with a stop over in Tel Aviv and finishing in Tokyo.

SEA - NRT - IST - TLV
TLV - IST - NRT
NRT - SEA
Routing should be doable for 120k as US-Middle East award.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:15 am

Award availability problems?

I've been trying to book an itinerary with USair miles using partners. One flight is FCO to MUC. Both United and ANA's search tools show plenty of availability in both coach and biz for my day of travel. But when calling USair to book it, they keep saying nothing is available. This was a Lufthansa flight. Anybody having the same problems or know of a work around?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by oktoberfest
I've been trying to book an itinerary with USair miles using partners. One flight is FCO to MUC. Both United and ANA's search tools show plenty of availability in both coach and biz for my day of travel. But when calling USair to book it, they keep saying nothing is available. This was a Lufthansa flight. Anybody having the same problems or know of a work around?
As Dividend Miles is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger US Airways forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by oktoberfest
Check the sticky note on the top of this thread...

No workaround. Try LX, OS, SN, SK withing Europe.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:37 pm

TLV is clearly your destination (not stop over) for this itinerary...by about 2000 miles.
ha, thought so.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

Trying to book a SEA -> TLV (stopover) -> NRT (final destination) -> SEA business class ticket.

I've been told twice that the award is 120k since Tel Aviv is considered Middle East, not the 90k. (it is, but I've heard that US Airways will at times consider it Europe)

Should I keep playing HUCA or just accept the 120k?

Routing is:

1. SEA-FRA-IST-TLV
2. TLV-IST-NRT
3. NRT-SEA

Is the IST leg on the first flight causing the issue?

Last edited by Jesperss; Feb 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.