Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by fumo
hi everyone

as i stay overseas, is there any way to check availability on Qatar without having to call US airways hotline?

thank you.
Didn't know that Qatar could be booked with US Airways. But if so, you can search for availability using british airways' website, though it's segment by segment
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Didn't know that Qatar could be booked with US Airways. But if so, you can search for availability using british airways' website, though it's segment by segment
As per the previous post if you check the award chart it shows as unavailable.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Qatar Airways is not available for redemption through USDM. (It has been 'temporarily unavailable' for many years now)
ah yes

stupid me

didnt see the 'notes' section at the bottom
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
in case anyone is booked - Thai has announced a schedule change on its BKK-ICN-LAX services for JAN-MAR 2014. This will be operated by a 777-200ER replacing the current 777-300ER.

I think this means angled seats in biz class rather than full flat? If that's the case you may wish to look for alternatives.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
in case anyone is booked - Thai has announced a schedule change on its BKK-ICN-LAX services for JAN-MAR 2014. This will be operated by a 777-200ER replacing the current 777-300ER.

I think this means angled seats in biz class rather than full flat? If that's the case you may wish to look for alternatives.
Schedule change, or equipment change? The first gives you a get out of jail free card, the second means $150 to change your ticket...
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Schedule change, or equipment change? The first gives you a get out of jail free card, the second means $150 to change your ticket...
dunno about schedule change. The equipment change was what first sprung to mind as being of main concern (if indeed it's angled flats instead of full flats now).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Just to add something to the LH problem which US seems to have. I can confirm that WED did work for me so this seems to be no problem if there are seats as the agent saw the flight immediately. Am now routed ZRH-MUC-GRU on LH in C.

On a side note: As I was changing my award I was astonished on how long it took to do the change (30mins for the change and then they could not process my credit card due to system issues and I had to call back a day later and then it took another 30minutes to ticket the change even though the new flights were on my itinerary already) however am glad I could do it as it shortens my trip.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:24 am

US Airways Miles No longer available in near future, what's the best way?

After March (the merge with AA), US Airways sweet promotions will be no longer available. Is there any way to rack up a lot of miles for united airlines?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by a6project
After March (the merge with AA), US Airways sweet promotions will be no longer available. Is there any way to rack up a lot of miles for united airlines?
Thanks in advance!
Given UA recently had a massive award chart devaluation you'd be better off looking at Avianca for *A redemptions/buy offers.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:52 am
scr

Programs: M&M, BAEC
Originally Posted by a6project
Thanks in advance!
Do you have a link for this? It would be very sad if that's the way it will be.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

What's the role of award ticket changes and the travel advisory...
My parents have EWR-BOS-IAH-PEK on Saturday; looks like the travel advisory is currently through the 4th of January.. if US extends the travel advisory to the 4th, will they waive change fees? thanks

FDW
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Has anyone tried to open jaw across regions? The website doesn't specifically forbid it (so long as the unflown sector is the shortest of the 3). Is it possible to book, for instance:

SFO-PEK-DEL (India)
DXB-PEK-SFO (Middle East)

If so what mileage should be charged (since they are different) -- or more importantly is this just a HUACA and see what the agent says?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by LAX888
Just to add something to the LH problem which US seems to have. I can confirm that WED did work for me so this seems to be no problem if there are seats as the agent saw the flight immediately. Am now routed ZRH-MUC-GRU on LH in C.

On a side note: As I was changing my award I was astonished on how long it took to do the change (30mins for the change and then they could not process my credit card due to system issues and I had to call back a day later and then it took another 30minutes to ticket the change even though the new flights were on my itinerary already) however am glad I could do it as it shortens my trip.

Had some trouble last week booking LH in C. Tried ORD-FRA on a Sunday and Monday (showing availability on United and ANA) that didn't go through. They're saying only Y seat available. I did manage to snap a FRA-IAD on a Tuesday (mid Feb) in C on my itinerary.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:55 am

Hey guys! Sorry I'm grasping at straws here, really need to change my return flight (outbound already taken) by a few days ... But as you all know, no changes after departure. Has anyone had any leeway in this at all?

I had a major schedule change with my original return last month, but I already had changed it to, what was at the time, a suitable alternative, so figured I have already used my "free pass" .... Would rather not pone up $$$ for a new ticket, but I know I'm at US mercy on this.... Will call tonight when (hopefully) hold times die down. Just wanted to see if anyone had any luck to this rule...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I never heard of anyone had any luck in change after travel begun unless one had travel insurance or a major change after the start of the trip. Once you start it is "done".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.