Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 28, 14, 10:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 30, 13, 3:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post
Only one stopover as stated above.

And you can not choose destination and stopover city. The destination is always the furtherst point of your routing, that would be MNL and not PEK. MNL is situated in south asia, so the ticket would cost 120k isof 90k.
That's what I thought too, but there's a few people who managed to snag it at 90k when they place emphasis on what their destination city is. Is that no longer the case or has something changed?
Old Dec 30, 13, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Azurik View Post
That's what I thought too, but there's a few people who managed to snag it at 90k when they place emphasis on what their destination city is. Is that no longer the case or has something changed?
if you call often enough (or even first call if lucky) then you may get an agent to ticket for 90k.

but you know the price is 120k. you are flying to south east Asia.

it is now also more common that any stopover in a higher zone will also be calculated at the higher rate... so for example SWP-USA with a stopover in Europe will often attract the 120k rather than 110k.

but as always, YMMV
Old Dec 30, 13, 6:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PGHflyer View Post
I booked from PIT to SYD in Business back in April 2013 for our trip in late Feb 2014 (your timeframe). I spent many, many hours researching routing with the ANA tool. There was ZERO availability on ANY United flights leaving the US - even at almost one year in advance. There was spotty availability from other star worldwide gateways but not business openings from US to those gateways. Literally, the only options without long coach flights from any USA gateways to Australia were via OS (Asiana). Those flights currently have the older style business class (No AVOD, No Flat Seats) but it still beats coach for 24 hours. Good luck.

My parents went to Australia in Sept of 2013. I was able to easily find two seats on UA in business booking in January.. in addition, seats in first opened up so I changed their award to a GF booking

Definitely a YMMV.. I made a booking for NRT and BKK and tried to convince them that BKK was a stopover.. no dice.. I tried calling 6 times and finally just accepted the SE Asia award....

FDW
Old Dec 30, 13, 8:47 pm

I am a Boston-based UA *G flyer and wanted to use some of my US miles before they merge with AA (specifically, the 90k to North Asia route).

I think US rules is one stop-over or one open-jaw per direction, and my main intention would be to visit Manila, PI. Could I do the following itinerary and have it count as 90k instead of 110k?

BOS - SJC (stop) - PEK
PEK - MNL (stop) - BOS
Only one stopover per itinerary. No way to get to MNL on 90K miles unless you originate in the Caribbeans (SJC/CUN/MBJ?) Alternately you can fly as far as HKG and buy cheap ticket (2hr flight) to MNL or use Avios w/ CX.
Old Dec 30, 13, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by intheairagain View Post
Just curious if this is the norm, I know getting Business Class to Sydney using miles is tough but I have been calling the Chairmans Desk every few days for several months now and have not been able to get anything! Would like to go from BDL but could do JFK, LGA, PHL and have any layover leave Feb 17-19 any day return July 1-3 any day. Just seems impossible am I doing something wrong! Also feel like the agents are so bothered checking but I cant check myself. Just curious if any one had any idea's? Thanks!
Try using http://beta.awardtravelr.com/, and check flights through ICN. Check JFK-ICN, then ICN-SYD separately.

I just checked your outbound dates, and JFK-SFO-ICN-SYD was available for at least one of your Feb dates in business.

TG usually has decent availability through Europe. Something like SYD-BKK-FRA/CDG/LHR-JFK might be a possibility (CDG and FRA have the 380), PEK might be an option, too. SYD-PEK-IAH was available (9hr layover in PEK) on July 3rd for 2 in business when I checked. The more flexible you can be the more options you'll have. So it can be done, just not ideal.
Old Dec 31, 13, 2:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
It's a full flat bed, so at least you'll be comfortable and frustrated rather than uncomfortable and frustrated (if anything is not up to standard )
Big thanks LHR/MEL/Europe FF

I thought they have angle lie-flat seats on A330's, good to know they are fully flat.
Old Dec 31, 13, 3:32 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by zerorain View Post
...unless you originate in the Caribbeans (SJC/CUN/MBJ?)
SJC (San Jose, CA) is not in the Caribbeans...
Old Dec 31, 13, 7:24 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
if you call often enough (or even first call if lucky) then you may get an agent to ticket for 90k.

but you know the price is 120k. you are flying to south east Asia.

it is now also more common that any stopover in a higher zone will also be calculated at the higher rate... so for example SWP-USA with a stopover in Europe will often attract the 120k rather than 110k.

but as always, YMMV
Indeed. I recently ticketed 4 SFO-PEK-CDG-SFO tix in F and despite acknowledgement by the CSR that PEK was our destination, we were charged 125K each due to the higher cost region of our stopover in CDG. No complaints here as it's only a 5K premium and at a little more than a penny per mile, one heckuva deal.
Old Dec 31, 13, 9:00 am

correction

SJC (San Jose, CA) is not in the Caribbeans...
right, I meant SJU (san juan)
Old Dec 31, 13, 12:51 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Only one stopover as stated above.

And you can not choose destination and stopover city. The destination is always the furtherst point of your routing, that would be MNL and not PEK. MNL is situated in south asia, so the ticket would cost 120k isof 90k.
What if I did 2 one-ways? Book one award with UA miles and one with US. I could do 2 stopovers in that instance (one on the way there, one on the way back)?

Nevermind... forgot US Airways doesn't charge 1/2 for a one-way flight. Argh.

Last edited by Azurik; Dec 31, 13 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 31, 13, 12:56 pm

What if I did 2 one-ways? Book one award with UA miles and one with US. I could do 2 stopovers in that instance (one on the way there, one on the way back)?
No.

I don't think stopovers are allowed under the UA program, at least not on one ways.

With the current US program, one ways cost the same amount of miles as round-trip, not half.
Old Dec 31, 13, 12:56 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
US doesn't do one ways at half the cost (i.e. it's the same cost for one way or return).
Old Dec 31, 13, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by echino View Post
No.

I don't think stopovers are allowed under the UA program, at least not on one ways.

With the current US program, one ways cost the same amount of miles as round-trip, not half.
UA allows stopovers on round-trips.

Nevermind... forgot US Airways doesn't charge 1/2 for a one-way flight. Argh.
Use PEK as your Asia destination (or an open jaw with HKG if you drop the SJC stopover) on US and you should be able to do an Asia award involving MNL and an additional stop for a very reasonable amount of UA miles in C (before 2/1 when rates change). 45K and SIN, BKK or any other number of locations should be no problem.

Alternately, use HKG, TPE, CAN and buy a cheap Y ticket. 700 miles in Y won't kill you...
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:50 am

hi everyone

as i stay overseas, is there any way to check availability on Qatar without having to call US airways hotline?

thank you.
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by fumo View Post
hi everyone

as i stay overseas, is there any way to check availability on Qatar without having to call US airways hotline?

thank you.
Qatar Airways is not available for redemption through USDM. (It has been 'temporarily unavailable' for many years now)

Search this Thread