Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 28, 14, 10:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 13, 4:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Thanks will do I have been checking the United site but was looking from BDL will start looking from west coast cities but the Chairmans line said they could only book a "savers award" on any Star Alliance Partner I did not know that....
Old Dec 27, 13, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by intheairagain View Post
Thanks will do I have been checking the United site but was looking from BDL will start looking from west coast cities but the Chairmans line said they could only book a "savers award" on any Star Alliance Partner I did not know that....
'saver award' refers (generally) to what they can book as far as the partner airline inventory.

many airlines will have additional availability for their own members, or even the ability for their own members to book 'full price' awards with guaranteed availability - but at about double the price.

USDM and other FFPs don't have access to book any of tese additional or full priced awards.
Old Dec 27, 13, 5:19 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post
No, only Economy and Business class offered on this flight . Two years ago, I managed to grab a seat in BusinessFirst with miles on this flight.
Agreed. All the terminology about "BusinessFirst" and stuff on UA confuses me. I figure that on a 737, you're either in the back or up front, whatever the hell the product is being called.

Good score on that seat though. I've looked for the past six months on every single day (M-W-F) of this flight and never found a single seat. Finally just booked Y because the experience is worth more to me than the seat. Although I continue to check daily, because should one open up, for that 14 hour flight, the $150 US change fee is TOTALLY worth it.
Old Dec 28, 13, 12:58 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by intheairagain View Post
You should research all the individual segments first before even calling the agents. Have it ready to go and read it out. Just calling up and asking for A to B is a massive long shot.
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:52 am

Oh my dear! Just had the most frustrating and fruitless conversation with US Airways agents.

So here is the story

Thai Airways recently re-timed their night flight from FRA to BKK. Flight now arrives at 1325 rather than 1300, after I have ticketed this award reservation, and therefore, my 1400 flight to HKG has an illegal connection.

Without informing me or calling me, I just got an email saying that US Airways have rebooked me on the CDG-ZRH-HKG one day earlier.

Clearly, that option is not possible, so I would need to cancel.

However, it would have been great if US airways could call me ahead before they process such as a huge difference in original routing.

Anyone has similar experience?

Last edited by pacificboot; Dec 28, 13 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 28, 13, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacificboot View Post
Oh my dear! Just had the most frustrating and fruitless conversation with US Airways agents.

So here is the story

Thai Airways recently re-timed their night flight from FRA to BKK. Flight now arrives at 1325 rather than 1300, after I have ticketed this award reservation, and therefore, my 1400 flight to HKG has an illegal connection.

Without informing me or calling me, I just got an email saying that US Airways have rebooked me on the CDG-ZRH-HKG one day earlier.

Clearly, that option is not possible, so I would need to cancel.

However, it would have been great if US airways could call me ahead before they process such as a huge difference in original routing.

Anyone has similar experience?
This often happens with USDM - schedule changes or aircraft changes are not communicated to passengers. The golden rule with award booking (rightly or wrongly) is that they need to be monitored closely (once a week) by logging on to your USDM account and checking if there is a warning ('your itinerary with flight xxx has been changed') or alternatively browsing airlineroute.net once a week for the airlines in your itinerary to see what they're up to and then calling USDM to make appropriate changes if necessary.

The main advantage of monitoring is that you get notice as soon as possible and may have more options to make an acceptable change.

As for your current change, have you had a look to see if there are any suitable options? Routing via MUC/FCO/LHR (etc etc)? Or once arriving in BKK then connecting say via SIN on SQ or TG to get to HKG?

USDM are pretty good at accommodating you with alternative arrangements free of charge once you call them (but are generally not so good at informing you in the first place).
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:23 pm

Programs: IC Amb, Priority Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
I have had many changes to long term planned and booked itineraries. Logging in is one option but a couple of dollars well spent is MY FLIGHTS. this app tells you if a change to schedule has occurred.

Saves the constant looking on USDM.

I always were possible ensure I have plenty of time between the connection.

I have a F flight to HKG but will take the flight from Fra to BKK that arrives in the mng to connect to the afternoon flight to HKG.
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:34 pm

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
I just tried to book Business awards on LH from MIA to NCE not on a Saturday or Wednesday. Both UA and LH shows availability but US says there isn't any. Is there a solution. Calling back? but awful long holds. Tried to give the agent flight numbers.
Frustrating as I'm trying to use US miles while you can still book Star Alliance.
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I just tried to book Business awards on LH from MIA to NCE not on a Saturday or Wednesday. Both UA and LH shows availability but US says there isn't any. Is there a solution. Calling back? but awful long holds. Tried to give the agent flight numbers.
Frustrating as I'm trying to use US miles while you can still book Star Alliance.
As per the sticky - LH seems to be visible on WED/SAT, if you tried to book other days it can be hit or miss (more miss than hit).

Try a second time, but if the next agent can't see it either then probably look for another routing.
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was trying to book a coupld of LH award sectors recently and the US agent said she couldn't see any availability ( even though I could see availability using the ANA site ) . I asked the agent to try and book it anyway and it came back confirmed ( to the surprise of the agent )

Might be worth just asking the agent to try booking it anyway since if there actually is availability it does seem to come back confirmed even though it doesn't seem available
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I was trying to book a coupld of LH award sectors recently and the US agent said she couldn't see any availability ( even though I could see availability using the ANA site ) . I asked the agent to try and book it anyway and it came back confirmed ( to the surprise of the agent )

Might be worth just asking the agent to try booking it anyway since if there actually is availability it does seem to come back confirmed even though it doesn't seem available
agree. although this is the same as a long sell? most agents are reluctant to do that, so it may be a bit of a case of HUACA.
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
agree. although this is the same as a long sell? most agents are reluctant to do that, so it may be a bit of a case of HUACA.
Is it? I don't know. I was just trying to get a london-frankfurt sector and not sure what the mechanism the agent did to try and book it. Whatever it was, it worked
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:30 pm

Hi all,
I am looking at Gum-Pek-Lax-Gum OR Gum-lax-Pek-Gum, I ran it up on UA website and got an error. I don't see any issue here, however.

any thought?

Thank you in advance
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yindelong View Post
Hi all,
I am looking at Gum-Pek-Lax-Gum OR Gum-lax-Pek-Gum, I ran it up on UA website and got an error. I don't see any issue here, however.

any thought?

Thank you in advance
UA.com can provide some routings which are on the adventurous side, but such a back-track to China when a simple GUM-NRT or GUM-HNL would get you there is possibly a reason why it doesn't show.

you can search availability sector by sector via PEK and then put together your own itinerary and present those flights to USDM.
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:35 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
If you try to search for a multi-city award trip it will give an error. Try searching for it as a series of one ways.

Search this Thread